BC Boards

Structure

Journey

OK, so this may not belong here...

I've seen some dogs recently that "park out", like a Morgan or Saddlebred horse does. What is it up with this? The dogs are not weak anywhere, proportionally put together, maybe just slightly high in the rear but not really noticeable. Is this stance just comfortable? They are not short in the back (like a Morgan is) nor are they out of balance as far as looking at them, not heavy on the front, not over angulated on the rear. Just curious if anyone knows the "why do they do that". And strangely enough it's been bitches that I see doing this.

Karen

Are these dogs that have been taught to do this for showing? I know that dogs that compete in the show ring are taught "how" to stand and parking out seems to be something that handlers of some breeds train.

It's a horse term. Certain breeds are shown "stretched" with their back feet planted behind them.

Copper%20Leaf%20Gwendolyn.jpg

I kinda think this horse has been gingered too, but I wouldn't really know. I guess her tail is probably "just" cut and set. I've never hung with the Saddlebred crowd and never actually been around these kinds of horses, just read about it.

Discussion of "parking out" here.

The photo Melanie posted is pretty extreme. I'm guessing that Karen wasn't referring to dogs parking out quite that much.

With Kat, I've often wondered if she doesn't just start out standing normally and then sort of lean forward and move her front feet, leaving her back feet behind, like she's ready to go (take off), but hasn't pulled her back end up to where it belongs yet (if that poor description makes sense).

J.

That pic is way extreme. The traditional "park out" was to drop a horse's back so you could mount easier. The front legs dropped straight down and normal, the back legs were way out back as to artificially drop the back.

As with anything "show" it's get over done.

Julie's description of Kat fits my Grace to a tee. I've noticed she does this worse when she's watching and not actually working. When she's working she tends to spread her hinds legs out for better lateral "dig" with her toes to turn. Basically on "sheep" she can remember she has a back end LOL

The photo Melanie posted is pretty extreme. I'm guessing that Karen wasn't referring to dogs parking out quite that much.

With Kat, I've often wondered if she doesn't just start out standing normally and then sort of lean forward and move her front feet, leaving her back feet behind, like she's ready to go (take off), but hasn't pulled her back end up to where it belongs yet (if that poor description makes sense).

J.

Yes!! ^^^^^ You hit it dead on. Thank you Julie :rolleyes:

With the horses they plant the rear (Morgans that is) and then stretch the front out w/o moving the rear. The front stays perpendicular - leg completely under shoulder. And yes, Melanie's picture is "extreme" (tail most likely is cut and gingered!). The thought for the beginning of this was to allow the rider to mount.

However, with the dogs, their take off, from what I have seen, is not hinderd from this position, maybe not "as" powerful but I wasn't really watching "that" I was looking at the stance and wondering...

I’ve never heard it called parking in the show ring. Some breeds are stood with their back legs further out. Border Collie would not be one that it should be done with. They should be stood ith their rear’s set so that the hock is perpendicular to the ground, it should not be set so far back as in the first example horse picture.

Northborderrookie,

We're not talking about how the dogs stand in a show ring; we're comparing how they stand while getting ready to work compared to how some show horses stand in the show ring. There's a big difference, and I can assure you that the folks participating in this discussion aren't very interested about how dogs are stacked in the show ring. :rolleyes:

Kathy,

Gingering involves placing ginger in a place where the sun don't shine so that horses with a naturally high tail carriage--generally arabians, which don't have tails broken and set like the saddlebreds do--will carry their tails even higher for greater flash and show in the ring. It's not supposed to be allowed, but people will do anything to win. You can imagine how painful/irritating it is to the horse.

J.

EWWWW Gross... Okay, now, back to adult convo- I see absolutely no value in positioning a horse in that way, unless as was said it was easier to mount the horse, but even then, if it were uncomfortable for the horse, I wouldn't do it. If I were looking to buy a horse, I want to see the parts "where they lay" naturally.

As to dogs doing this, I can't even visualize even a moderate version of this. Maybe it's a doggy version of Pilates? Maybe they are stretching their core?

Thanks Julie.

Even tho I have heard of breaking tails in horses, I still just can't believe it. What people will do to their animals for the show ring.

Kathy

OH, they offer it on their own. I was under the impression that they were put in that position. Makes sense that they wouldn't put themselves in an uncomfortable position.

The *only* horse that ever kicked me was a Morgan....

Because I grew up with Morgans and still have one. None of them, not one, did not offer this stance on their own.