BC Boards

Neutering

Lizmo

I'm debating whether or not to have Blaze neutered, but one of my concerns is the post surgery care. The vet makes all dogs stay over-night after surgery. I don't have a concern with this, but my concern is no one is there with him through the night. He will just be in a cage with an e-collar on I assume. I've never been confortable with this, what if he somehow rips his stitches out and bleeds during the night? No one will be there to do anything till the morning.

Is this a valid concern? Is it normal to have dogs stay over-night with no one to watch them?

When Alex was spayed I refused to let them keep her overnight. There was no one at the vet's from closing until morning. She was awake enough to just about pull the vet's leash from her hand when Alex saw me. She stayed in my room with the door closed for the night. Admittedly I did not sleep great because I was keeping an eye on her, but that was the point. Both of our male Labs were sent home the same day they were neutered.

Esox

Ask the vet or the manager to make an exception- explain that you are aware he needs to be kept quiet and would feel better if you can watch him at home. Most vets I've worked for would accomodate you- there really is no reason to keep a neuter overnight unless they are waiting to do sx at the last minute.

there is no reason to keep them overnight, if you talk to the vet they will probably ley you take your take home. many vets have certain "requirments" that are just loose rules to defend against the general publics stupidity. if they know you know what you are doing, they usually relax the "rules" for you. I know when Misty was spayed I was told I could pick her up after 4pm..ok thats standard..so they then called after her surgery and told me I could pick her up at 3pm..she still had the needle thing from the IV in her leg when they brought her out to me(then they realized that and took it out lol) but she was fine other then groggy lol. I had one dog that stay 3 nights when she was spayed, but that was only because of a complication.

just talk to them about it. i think (hope?) most vets offices are reasonable if you approach them in a reasonable fashion.

the place where i work now, we send them home the same day, but the place i worked previously they all stayed overnight. where i work now, we're done with surgery by noon. the place i worked before ran surgery until 4 pm, sometimes later, so there was no way they could safely say pets could go home the same day (except dentals because they were all done first thing). at that place, however, there was a tech on 24/7, though i can't say i ever once had a dog have post-op complications overnight beyond a little bit of vomiting.

None of the 3 males I ever had neutered stayed overnight. One vet preferred they stayed overnight but was very nice about letting me pick them up and take them home after their surgeries.

Chase the BC and 3rd one I had neutered acted like business as usual when he came home. I had a hard time keeping him quiet and he was worse in his crate with doing backflips and frontflips. The vet sent him home in a soft e-collar :rolleyes: and you can pretty much guess that didn't work. He did end up starting to take his stitches out and started a nice hematoma going. Back to the vet for a check-up the next day and we were sent home with a hard plastic e-collar and sedatives. Glad that's over!

Michele

& Gypsy

& Chase

Our s/n clinic at the shelter sends all surgeries home in the afternoon - the procedures are all done by noonish and pickup is between 4:30 and 6pm. Most don't even need e-collars (the vet uses glue mostly for the skin layer of sutures, so that may be why, don't know for sure)! Kes was up and raring to go when I picked him up; never skipped a beat.

Our s/n clinic at the shelter sends all surgeries home in the afternoon - the procedures are all done by noonish and pickup is between 4:30 and 6pm. Most don't even need e-collars (the vet uses glue mostly for the skin layer of sutures, so that may be why, don't know for sure)!

Rhys bach was neutered at the county mobile clinic (MASH) and that's the way they work too. I was very impressed that the incision was small, neat and no sutures. Apart from being a wee bit woozy when we got home, he was just fine and never needed an e-collar.