BC Boards

Hard Decision

I don't know if some of you remember but awhile back I posted some threads about my 2yr old bc bula who wouldn't stay home. She kept going to the eldery neighbors house. I wanted to update on the situation.

Since that time my husband and I have had to move of the farm we were living on. During this transition process I let the neighbors keep Bula, to see if she could live there full time. I wanted to make sure that she wouldn't keep coming back to the farm on her own - which she didn't. I wanted to make sure that they could keep up with her energy level and that she would be a good addition to there family.

A week ago I stopped by after making myself not visit her for a month. She was in the front yard with the guy hanging out. She was very happy to see me. He knew I had come to make a decision. We went inside and I sat down with him and his wife. Bula sat at my feet and brought me a ball. We talked about how Bula was doing. They said that she sticks right to P, the guy when he goes out and works around his property. That she loves going on car rides. How she goes upstairs (their daughter and son in law live in the apt above them) and loves hanging out with their birds, but will chase wild birds off the porch. She keeps their very elderly dog company and always loves on him...

In my heart I really wanted to keep Bula but at this point I could see it would be a selfish decision. She had chosen this elderly couple. To bring joy and new energy into their lives. I couldn't fault her for that. I love her for it.

I go and visit her and bring my other dog Kramer to play with her. This fall I will take her on some long hikes. The only negative I have seen so far is that she has gained a little weight not being able to run on the farm everyday. Since we no longer have the farm and already have 3 other dogs, I felt this was the right, tough, but correct decision to make...for now. They know that if anything happens I can take her back at any time.

Another positive is that we have been able to work with Moose - a 7yr gsd dog that came to us when his owners died that needed a lot of social work. For some reason - he was obsessed with Bula and we couldn't curb the behavior at that time. Now we can correctly work on it and other issues he has.

I miss her but know in my heart I made the right decision even though it was very very hard. She is in a good positive place.

Sometimes we are used to bring a dog and a person(s) together. Sounds like this is the case. Bula, for reasons we may never know, preferred their home, and you loved her enough to let her. And you do get to visit and know what is going on with her, so it's not like you will never know what is going on with her. Bless you for making a hard decision.

My heart goes out to you! I know exactly what you are feeling. My two boys are now living with friends in working situations. It breaks my heart heart every day. But I know they are getting the most out of life (way more than I can give now) and have the best care possible.

Still it is hard.

You did the right thing IMO.

Jennifer

Very hard decision, but aren't the correct decisions usually the best ones? You did the right thing, and perhaps Bula knew/sensed something that us humanoids cannot and she knows that she needs to be with them for a reason.

Congratulations on a tough but correct decision.

Tim

In my heart I really wanted to keep Bula but at this point I could see it would be a selfish decision. She had chosen this elderly couple. To bring joy and new energy into their lives. I couldn't fault her for that. I love her for it.

God bless you.

That had to be a wrenching decision. I'm all admiration for your courage and clear focus on making the right, loving, call.

I think the least selfish thing an animal owner can do with a loved animal, is to see that that animal has the best possible home it could have, even if it means that home is with someone else. Sometimes, when a dog finds just the right person/family, it's not the person or family that already owns the dog.

I admire your thoughtfulness and your putting Bula's interests ahead of your own wants. As Tranq said, it takes courage, and it also takes selflessness.

Very best wishes to all concerned!

Thank you all. I have to admit I put it off for awhile and really tried to find reasons to keep her with me. I am glad it has worked out. Its funny - she was chosen for us by the man who owned the farm we managed. We paid $300 for her. Come to find out her fee was $500 and he paid the difference. We wouldn't have gotten her if we knew it would be that much. We prefer rescue dogs :D We didn't meet her until she came to our home. I think it was karma that placed her with us and where she is now. The look on the couples face is priceless when they talk about Bula.

Thank you all for your support and helping me figure out the life of a border collie for the past 3 yrs. I started posting on her right after we got her since she was my first BC. I do love the breed but I think they may be smarter than me :rolleyes:

I had a cat who chose my family over the family across the street once. This big orange marmlade guy. I. LOVED. HIM. I named him after Pat Sajak from Wheel of Fortune (upon whom I had a rather unfortunate and embarrassing crush at that age). Starting when I was in first or second grade, every day during the school year, he waited for me at the bus stop and walked home with me and slept on my lap on our back porch, while I read through the school reading lists. Then one day he got in a big fight protecting his territory from another tomcat. He wasn't at the bus stop that day. I heard him crying under our house, and I had to crawl under there with a large frisbee to get him out on (and of course he didn't claw me or anything--he seemed grateful to be rescued by me). When I brought him back to daylight, it became clear that he had lost his eye and an ear in that fight and couldn't walk - all protecting *our* backyard.

I don't know what made Pat choose us over the family across the street, but he obviously and clearly did, and I am grateful that he was allowed to do so, because I was a lonely kid at that age and really enjoyed his company. I mean, in retrospect I wish I could've neutered him and taken him inside like I wanted to but my parents wouldn't allow it. And that wasn't the culture I grew up in. The family across the street didn't do those things either.

Anyway, it sounds like this new situation is better all around for both Bula and your other pets. I commend you both for being such a responsible owner and for letting Bula choose. It may even be as simple as her preferring a single-dog family or something. And having been one who benefited from the animal being allowed to make such a choice (by much less concerned owners), I can say I think you made the right decision.