BC Boards

our garden

My OH is brilliant with our landscape. He knows just what sort of object to place in a certain location and it always looks fabulous. We have a section for retired hand tools and wheelbarrows that peek out from in between the plantings. Old bikes and trikes too. It looks so cool.

I had always joked about an old toilet for the dogs to drink from. I guess my friend did not know it was a joke so guess what I got for my birthday? Of course it was a toilet! Just what every girl wants. Well DH was excited but I wouldn't let him put it in full view. I did not want to see that thing each time I walked out the door. He put it behind his bonsai collection and planted the tank attractively. It looks very nice. I never would have imagined. The dogs drink from it all the time. I thought we should put a little fountain in it- sort of like a bidet!

Anyway, what should I expect from a man that goes to the trouble of bringing home an heavy fire hydrant for the dog yard? They all pee on it. It also looks cool. I guess I should just trust him.

I'm glad my friend didn't get the bright pink toilet she was toying with buying.

muddy

P.S. One of these days I'll just have to learn to post pictures. One thing at a time. Just last year I learned how to use a computer for the first time.

My mum even teaches computers. Ha, I'm so illiterate with the damn things.

I have a friend who used an old porcelain sink surrounded by plantings as a dog water bowl--that is until a bunch of chicks hopped in and either drowned or died of exposure.... :rolleyes:

Kris,

I think a pedestal sink would make a cool birdbath!

Muddy,

Do hurry and learn to post pictures. My curiosity is certainly piqued by your descriptions.

J.

Done tastefully, in the back, it sounds like a neat idea.

We lived next door to folks who redid their bathroom and put the sink & toilet out on the side lawn. When the rain filled them and the grass grew around them, the adults put painted stones and plastic chipmunks around them. It was not cute. It actually looked like they had a powder room just above the sidewalk on the main village street - outside.

Hidden in the bushes, it would be cute.

When I lived in Boston I had an old toilet I used for a planter. In my yard now I have a claw foot tub that is my herb garden currently. Keeps them out of harms way with the dogs. Two years ago I used it as a temporary pond for all the goldfish I ended up with. I also have the porcelain insert from an old washer as a planter set up on pedestal. I like unusual stuff in the yard. The ultimate in recyling. Would love for you to post pictures.

Toni

I like recyling for garden 'stuff'. We are going to be constructing a gazebo this fall using an old satellite dish for the roof. Once it's up, I'll post a picture.

Julie, the sink would work great, if I knew HOW to attract the birds to it. Our house is in the middle of our hayfields, so there are very few trees around. The gardens are not located where the dogs reside, so there is no 'predator' issue, but I can't seem to get the birds to the bath.

Any ideas???

Kris,

Birds are attracted to moving water, so if you could set up a dripper*, you might attract more birds. Any way to at least plant a couple of shrubs nearby? Birds feel very vulnerable when completely out in the open, and a little shade would keep the water cooler and therefore more attractive.

*You can make a dripper using thin copper tubing, small plastic hosing (diameter smaller than a pencil), a special dripper attachment, and attached to a special splitter that goes on your outside faucet. I think you can find the supplies at garden stores or perhaps craft stores. My brother made them for my mom and me. You run the plasitc tubing under the ground (it doesn't have to be deep) and to a wood block, which supports the copper tubing that you bend into an arch over the bird bath. You run the hose up through the block and tubing (the copper is just for aesthetics and to support the hose) and add a dripper cap to the end over the bath. Turn the water on low to obtain the desired drip rate, and there you go. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I'd have to dig through old family photos and then find a scanner.... (The arch of the copper tubing would be reminiscent of the arched faucets you see on many pedestal sinks. Over time, the copper will darken and blend in, or you could keep it polished if you want it to stand out.)

As for solar powered fountains, I think they would create too much water flow for the average bird. A mister type might work though.

J.

Thanks Julie, Getting water to that area will be a problem (I hand water all the plants right now) however, my DH is a master of 'making adaptations' so I'm sure he can find a way to make it happen. I think I'll move the sink to another area which will be closer to the shrubs I've started planting.

I have noticed an increase in the number of birds flying about this year. We even have a completely blue coloured bird - not sure if it's an indigo bunting but it is positively beautiful! And a phoebe has nested in my DH's outbuilding so we should have babies soon DH is not impressed but since his accident, he wasn't able to secure the building to prevent the bird from taking advantage!

Kris, it is an indigo bunting. I have a nesting pair in the orchard and they are very common here. If you dare, try putting out a feeder with just white millet for them, thats their favourite treat.

I thought you were planning on starting an alpaca farm, not a mosquito farm...they just love to breed in birdbaths. I can send you some skitter breeding stock to help you get started. I have lots of hungry ones courtesy of the neighbour swamp.

I meant to ask you this last Saturday. Were you affected by the big frost on June 10th?? I lost one pumpkin plant that had kicked his covers off.

Just remind DH that phoebes are in the flycatcher family, which means they are doing you a great service by eating insect pests! Indigo buntings are a sort of deep iridescent blue with wings that appear black. The only other small blue bird you'd see would be an Eastern bluebird, the male of which has a rosy breast. Both are beautiful insect eaters! :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I haven't been consistently keeping water for my birds here--you may have inspired me to get the birdbath set up finally....

J.

Newbie here.

Kris, my birdbath is in the middle of nowhere, also. I bought some shepherd's hooks at HD and put various colors of hanging baskets in them. This attracts not only the birds, but also butterflies. I planted red pinta and blue plumbago. Hanging like that, they are easy to water and keep my pups out.

Melly

While we are on the subject of birds, I've been meaning to ask someone about the pair of birds that nested in my wisteria on my front porch. They were fairly small, tan and greyish, and the male's head was hot pink. Beautiful, but very shy and flew away whenever someone walked near the front door. Im not sure if the eggs hatched already and they've gone, or if they just ended up abandoning the nest because of all the rucus that comes from my house.

Anybody have any guesses?