BC Boards

Puppy/dog food

I don't think a lot of people use it because it can be expensive and it's also a fairly new food and therefore not available in a lot of stores...especially rural areas where a lot of people live. I use it and ACANA grasslands. I mix the two together usually. We feed some of our foster dogs this food as well and I have quite a few friends use it. It's a good quality food and if your dog is doing well on it, I'd say, don't spoil a good thing. I took me a very long time to find a food my dog actually did well on.

i have never heard of it. my 2 bc pups are on diamond large breed puppy and are thriving.

I feed it and also horizons legacy which is a similar product. I really like them. I do combine them with raw bones. I've switched almost everyone this week to Honest Kitchen, which I use as a premix for inexpensive raw boneless meat.

I don't feed Orijen simply because I know only one pet supply that sells it, and it's pricey. The ingredients check out though, looks to be quite a good food.

Finnegan just got switched to Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream and is thriving on it. I can get it for a really good price at a local farm supply,

I've noticed not too many people on these boards don't use orijen. Why is that? I'm just curious to see what everyone else likes. Obviously I use orijen but if you have feed back on it please let me know! :0)

Availability is their main problem. I am trying to get distributorship for it here in Oklahoma. Even with local availability the price will still be around $.90 per day for a 45lb Border Collie - give or take ....

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com

Availability is their main problem. I am trying to get distributorship for it here in Oklahoma. Even with local availability the price will still be around $.90 per day for a 45lb Border Collie - give or take ....

Dave Strickland

www.outrunbc.com

You're right. It is a pricey food. I feed my 43#, non-working, couch potato border collie a 7kg bag every month and a half and it's about $0.80 per day. But, that's where we're lucky. We have one dog and can afford that amount on food. When we get another dog, it might be a different story.

I don't feed Orijen because I have one dog allergic to eggs (and about a million other things) and one who can't have fish without explosive results.

Mine switch between California Natural Chicken & Rice and Natural Balance Lamb & Rice, although lately it's been more raw than anything else. It's a pain to find a food both dogs can eat, and I don't want to do two kibbles again. A lot of the high-end, grain-free kibble (like TOTW) have potatoes, and those are high on Lu's "no way, no how, hair falls out immediately upon consumption" list. Raw works nicely, though- it's easy to feed Lu fish and Nick beef, etc, plus this fall I'll have a freezer full of old ewes & old hens :rolleyes:

We're feeding Acana Grasslands (grainfree all life stages) , which is made by the same company as Orijen . We're also mixing in a little of the Orijen Regional Red at the moment . We don't feed Orijen exclusively as it's a bit pricey and a little to rich for our dogs .

I feed raw, but when I buy kibble, I prefere Horizen Legacy. I tried Orijen,made my dogs poops real soft, sure they "may" have firmed up over time, but I only feed kibble every so often and never will feed it as on ongoing thing so waiting it out wasnt an option, either they can all handle it immedieltly, or they dont get it at all. with Horizen legacy we dont have that problem..Orijen is actually the ONLY grainfree food I have had that issue with. I like EVO RM as much as the Legacy, but its too pricey here, at $72 for a 15lbs bag as opposed to Legacy at $64 for a 30lbs bag lol.