BC Boards

Digging bc

Hi i'm new here,we have a female border collie that is just over a year old,she is a generally good dog that loves to run and play,the only thing she does that is annoying is her digging holes in the yard,does anyone have any advice on how to stop this.We have a big fenced in yard and lexy gets lots of excersise all day long but its only when we have to leave her that she does it,she doesnt get left for long periods of time and she doesnt dig all the time,please help

I wish I could help you. Jacko digs too, and they are about the same age. Except that he digs when we're right there watching him. Everyone told me it was because he was bored. Well, perhaps, but he digs when we are trying to engage him in play!

I've heard that you can put their poo in the hole and that will keep them from digging in that spot, but I don't think it will keep them from digging all together. You can also try having a digging area for her, a place where she can dig without getting into trouble. Bury treats and toys there and encourage her to dig in that spot, and some say this will cure the behaviour. Hasn't worked for us, but we haven't been as diligent about it as we should be.

I tried the poo thing and all she did was dig so far down,i have been told to put pepper in the holes too but i dont think this will stop the digging all together,i caught her the other day pulling a shovel towards the hole to try and bury it which was amusing

Your post sounds like it could have been written by me (a few months ago). Allie is now 15 mos. and she is not nearly as prone to dig as she used to be. She still digs sometimes because she just plain likes to dig :rolleyes: , however she no longer digs the "holes to China". Age seems to have tempered that somewhat.

I did give her a personal digging area with lots of really good "digging dirt" in it and would put rawhide strips, toys, etc. in that area. She got scolded for digging in the lawn and gardens, but praised for digging in her own space.

This post WAS written by me! Awhile ago anyway.

Try using the search tool - there have been lots of threads like this (mine included) where the dog ISN'T bored! They just LOVE to dig. :rolleyes:

Here is my thread (oh, and she doesn't really dig now unless I give her the "dig" command - like an OK for digging):

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...t=010235#000000

oh, and she doesn't really dig now unless I give her the "dig" command - like an OK for digging. That is what really seemed to help a lot (plus some of the things mentioned in the thread). Giving it a command - so she will NOT do it unless I give her the command for it.

Scout does occasional digging. We were having good luck with putting his poo in the holes he was working on, but he started catching moles and now receives much praise for the digging from dh and my dad. Hopeless. My dh just spends a lot of time refilling holes and throwing out moles.

As a funny aside, now we have only perimeter moles, amazingly close to the invisible fence line. Could the moles have figured out where the dog won't go?

We did the "burying the poo" thing in the hole and it seemed to work pretty well. We do have a special place just for digging. It gets pretty hot in Florida and our Aussie likes to dig for a cool place to lay, but only after she has been in her swimming pool and soaking wet. Ugh... what a mess she is

Sorry, he is not available for hiring out. We have trouble being away from him for more than 8 hours. Any activity from which he is excluded always has to be weighed against, "Is it worth leaving the dog for?"

Best of luck with your moles, they were very challenging here until Scout discoverd what fun they are to hunt (+ the ecstatic reaction from my dad).

Poor moles.

Someone in this forum suggested to bury water ballons to explode when the dog dig. It could not work if the dog is digging because it is looking some freshness but it sounds like a ingenious idea. As I'm not seen it be done, would be interesting to know if someone had tried it and with wich results.