BC Boards

Cluster seizures

kaos

Yeah, I've started crating Syd again, something I haven't had to do since he was a young pup.. just for his own protection. Thankfully I work from home, so I'm here most of the time, but the occasional trip to the store is now a real concern.

I figure also crating him keeps him safe from knocking into anything sharp or dangerous if he does happen to have a seziure when I'm not around.

Thankfully he hasn't had another episode since 2am -- hopefully that means the meds are working. I know the medicine isn't ideal, but for now, it sure beats the alternative.

• 1 month later...

Hi every one,

I thought I would just update the boards on my Sammy girl.

Her seizures were found to be due to hypo thyroid and after one more night of seizures, while the meds were setting in, she was fine. Then about two weeks ago, I noticed that she was still picky about her food and that her tummy area, where she normally had a fabulous tuck like a whippet, had started to enlarge a bit. No one else could see it and they all told me I was paranoid.

After three days, it enlarged ALOT and she began vomiting up any thing she could eat. Our vet said it presented like pyometra, but as she is spayed that was clearly not it.

Then she said it was either a) failure of an internal organ that was leaking fluids into her abdominal cavity

:rolleyes: Peritonitis (I was really hoping for this one, it actually is somewhat curable)

c) a rapidly growing tumour most likely of the liver, spleen or pancreas

So, after failed xrays (because the fluid wasn't clear and a TAP test that showed no cancer cells, we tried to put her on antibiotics. Sadly she was allergice to them and in the four days I tried to get her to take them she lost so much weight from vomiting that she now had the physique of a cow. All backbone, hip bones, ribs and shoulders with a large, firm bulbous tummy.

Which brings us to the now, she is on heart meds to try and help her grade two murmur which she has always had, and to stop the heart from leaking fluids, if it is the heart, steroids to help her feel better and stimulate her appetite and her thyroid meds.

She is now in a sort of holding pattern: she is still losing weight daily, though she can now keep her food down and is eating about 6 meals a day of straight meat and anything else that she thinks looks appetizing, and she has accidents in the house, no biggee.... carpets can be cleaned so who cares, and she sleeps a lot and breathes fast. We are just trying to enjoy whatever time she has left and to listen to her when she decides she has had enough.

She is my best friend, I can't imagine life without her, but I owe her a safe and loving end. I will not let her be in any pain or discomfort and am heaping on the attention and cuddles.

Sadly,

Sara

Sara,

I am sorry about your Sammy. I hope her passage goes easily. My thoughts are with you both.

Xheliox-

I'm concerned about your dog. Phenobarb is a beginning step, but when you are dealing with cluster seizures, you really need to have a plan in place in order to break the cluster. At the least, I would contact your regular vet to request rectal valium to apply after the first seizure ends. Oral valium will help, but it takes 30 mintures to become effective. Rectal valium will act quicker. Just to give you an idea, my seizure protocal is as follows:

During a seizure:

1) Clear room of all dogs and other noisy distractions.

2) Perform ocular compression (explained in detail on the website, www.canine-epilepsy.com)

3) Apply ice pack to lower spine, just above hips.

4) Note time and length of seizure, to be included in seizure log later.

Immediately after a seizure:

1) Give valium, either rectally or orally.

2) Give a full dose of phenobarb regardless of when the last dose occurred.

3) Rub rescue remedy in ears, or give by mouth, or both.

4) Give dog syrup of some kind, either ice cream, honey, maple syrup, etc.; I have used all.

5) Let the dog out to potty, if possible.

6) Feed a small bit of food; this I grab off the kitchen counter, being either a bit of banana, or piece of bread, or whatever. Most post-seizure dogs are VERY hungry.

7) If the dog is agitated, then you can use herbal relaxatives, such as Skullcap (my favorite), or melatonin, or other.

8) Pour yourself a glass of wine. Your sleep is over for the night.

There are many interent resources to help educate yourself concerning canine epilepsy, my favorite being, www.canine-epilespy.com. The website and corresponding email groups helped me immensely when I first began dealing with this disease several years ago.

Good luck to you and your dog.

Wendy

Our vet said it presented like pyometra, but as she is spayed that was clearly not it.

just an fyi for everybody, but a female can have pyometra if she is spayed. It's called a "stump pyometra" and involves the tissue that is left after a normal spay. I've know 2 dogs with it in the last year.

I'm very sorry to hear about Sammy.