BC Boards

When will my puppy be full grown?

Welcome to the boards!

If you don't spay her too soon she should be full height by about 2 years. She will still mature and fill out after that. It really depends on the lines she is out of, they all grow at various rates. Don't worry, she'll be grown before you know it and you will sometimes miss it!

Oh boy, puppyhood and all of those crazy growth spurts and stages. I remember Belle going through the "legs looking too long for her body" stage, her "body looking too long for her legs" stage, and her various "ears up, ears down, one up, one down, both flopping" ear stages. Her coat length and color changing too.

Welcome to the boards and we love pictures!!! :rolleyes::D

Oh boy, puppyhood and all of those crazy growth spurts and stages. I remember Belle going through the "legs looking too long for her body" stage, her "body looking too long for her legs" stage, and her various "ears up, ears down, one up, one down, both flopping" ear stages. Her coat length and color changing too.

Welcome to the boards and we love pictures!!! :rolleyes::D

We had the legs were just too short stage. Tommy was probably six months before her legs grew. I was afraid she was just going to be stumpy all of her life. And then all of a sudden her legs grew and now they seem very long for her size.

Welcome to the boards!

If you don't spay her too soon she should be full height by about 2 years. She will still mature and fill out after that. It really depends on the lines she is out of, they all grow at various rates. Don't worry, she'll be grown before you know it and you will sometimes miss it!

Journey, what do you think is too soon to spay or neuter? Asking because we are bringing our new puppy home on June 20th. It is a little boy & he will be fixed when he is old enough. (I believe in leaving breeding to the pro's) Just wondering if your thoughts are different from what my vet will say.

Thanks.

I am sure my thoughts are different...I don't like to see it done until they are fully grown, mature, growth plates closed. So, maybe the earliest would be about 18 months, it depends on the dog. Of course I am talking about those of us that are responsible owners too :rolleyes: You can do a search of the boards, it has been discussed here in detail with more data and info than you probably want!

Here's 2 threads on it;

Early Spaying

Another on Spaying

And here's a great article by Chris Zink

Ok thank you everyone for your help :rolleyes:

If you do wait to have her spayed, and she goes into heat before you get a chance to spay her, do remember to wait 3 or 4 months before you have her spayed to avoid the admittedly rare but really difficult to deal with possibility of simulating whelping and provoking maternal aggression!

If you do wait to have her spayed, and she goes into heat before you get a chance to spay her, do remember to wait 3 or 4 months before you have her spayed to avoid the admittedly rare but really difficult to deal with possibility of simulating whelping and provoking maternal aggression!

Okay I got it!

Telltale signs that your Border Collie is full-grown:

- When she runs, she sounds like a thundering herd of elephants.

- When she lies down, she sounds like a sack of rocks hitting the floor.

Annie was full height by the time she was 1, and had reached her current weight by the time she was 2. She is now 5; we hope that she will slow down and start taking naps sometime within the next decade...

Telltale signs that your Border Collie is full-grown:

- When she runs, she sounds like a thundering herd of elephants.

- When she lies down, she sounds like a sack of rocks hitting the floor.

:rolleyes: So true!