BC Boards

Leg lifting, female

So I noticed Meg lifting her leg to pee.

Did a search about this and got no definite explanation.

Lots of talk about being alpha.

Maybe I am still not clear about alpha-ism but Meg does not strike me as being in that category.

So do any of your females do the leg lifting ?

Any accurate explanation for why Meg does this,

Thank you

She could be just territorial or wanting people to know that she is around. I don't think it's that un common for females to do this. My foster dog marks all the time, she doesn't lift her leg, but she will when walking her at lunch squat about 3 or 4 times, only one of those being a full bladder empty, the rest will be to leave her scent. She's the sweetest, calmest dog in the world and does not act dominant or anything like that. I think it's just instinct.

Both of our foster girls and our own female do this. Almost every time they urinate. The marking behavior that is kind of gross, but funny to me is when they try to poop up on something :D There is a fairly good size rock in our backyard and twice Mama Dog has left deposits on top of it. And the boys are always finding tall clumps of grass at my folks farm or even go up against the fence... :rolleyes: at least I don't have to worry about cleaning up the fields there.

Thanks, yet again I have learned something new. I had not realised it was quite common for female dogs to raise the leg. I only noticed Meg doing it recently, she is about 2 years now.

I have read somewhere females from a mostly male litter tend to lift their leg more than a more female one.? hormonal or behavioral, not sure. Both my girls mark about 50 times on a short walk and spend half their day following each other around peeing over each othes pee LOL

Every BC bitch I've had has been a marker...All but one has basically done the female version of hiking a leg.

My intact bitches would literally do handstands when coming into season.

Right now I have 2 intact boys and 2 spayed females...all like to mark one right behind the other on the same spot...

my grass doesn't stand a chance :rolleyes: