BC Boards

Could Be Interesting

I would love some input and I think it is fair that everyone can contribute. I have been asked to write a weekly dog column ( Canada ), it will appear in a large number of newspapers. I have been thinking hard about this. I want the column to be informative and helpful to dog owners and of course dogs. I can include any content I like but I want the column to say something, be important and make an impact. I want it to make a difference for dogs and dog owners. Secondly, I am given the opportunity to write a kids book and perhaps several again about dogs. It is based on the simple life and adventures of my dogs Mac, Pete and Dave. We are developing cartoon characters featuring the dogs. Dave is an interesting little dog and I think he has the most appeal. Now, I have never written a kids book, I have never had kids and I am not so sure how to approach this. Today I will be reviewing a number of kids books. I want this of course to be informative and give a very positive message and be something meaningful. Any suggestions are most welcome. I have come to know many board members to be thinking and knowledgeable. It would be a pleasure to have your input. Thanks.

I am not as experienced with dogs as others on this board, but what about articles about integrating a dog into the family. I think too many people think of dog ownership as just getting another gadget. They don't seem to realize the importance and responsibility of bringing another living being into their lives. It is one of the prime reasons our shelters are so full. You could write about all the different ways including your dog in your family life makes for a better dog and a better life. It may also make others think twice about the reasons they are getting a dog and maybe help them pick the right kind of dog.

"Bringing Home Foster" A story from a dogs perspective about being given a chance to make a new life as a family pet after living his life on his own. The story could take a shy gentle dog (with some little bad habits) being guided through the process of getting comfortable with the family, then getting alittle overenthusiastic, learning how to properly behaive and finally settling into the role of a self confident well behaived pet that gets to join the family on great outings only due to his well learned excellent behaivor. Heck, I could see a series, eventually books about the outings reflecting back the dogs past, you could temp the dog desires to do old undesired behaivors and guide him to the right behaivor, showing a reward the kids would understand (a trip to the park or family camping trip with relatives)

Kinda thinking of my old dog Sheila, cattle dog/bc mixed, I trialled her a bit, the people that purchased her just loved how well adjusted and trained she is, not so when she came to us (we had sold her as a pup, she returned as a 1 1/2 year old wild child) I went through the process of teaching her self control and discipline. Now she is a boys best friend, goes everywhere with the family, is the center of attention at the boy scout camp trips. Last report, they don't have to worry about where she is or what she is doing, if she is not engaged in a game she comes and settles down at their feet.

Just a thought

Deb

Thanks everyone please keep your ideas coming. Here is a little story I will not write except here but it is in part the reason I am doing this. When I was very young around 5 or 6, well over 50 years ago my family had a border collie. I loved that dog and even after all this time I still think of him. I will spare you the details but he was hit by a car. I saw it happen. The driver of the car got out and I attacked him. He hit me. The police got involved and you can guess where that went. There is very little excuse a grown man can give a judge for hitting a kid. In any case I remember the horror I felt. As I write this tears are coming to my eyes. I would not have seen it at the time but something very positive came of this. I trust by now I have mostly forgotten all of the bad stuff but I developed a deep passion for border collies and a keen love for all animals. I would protect my dogs with my life if need be. I will provide the best for them. I will train them but I will let them be dogs, I will let them play and be as happy as they can. I have always been struck by these deep feelings and sometimes surprised and nervous about what they really are. I could not or perhaps would not want to live my life without my dogs. That incident was a long time ago and I never really got back to dogs until later in life and when I did I realized something was missing in my life and I had again something to live for. My life has changed in the past couple of years but the passion for my dogs keeps growing. I have decided that since I am able to communicate and dogs cannot I would like to do so on behalf of dogs and my Mac, Pete and Dave.

DTrain,

I think this is a great opportunity and I don't think it can go wrong with someone as compassionate as you writing it. If you don't feel entirely confident about addressing 'training' type issues, then writing from a dog's perspective, esp as she/he's learning how to live with his/her new family would be really entertaining and instructive.

Here is a link to a similar column that used to appear in our community paper; its about Zoscha the Wonder Dog (a shepherd mix) who unfortunately passed away last year.

http://www.oldottawasouth.com/oscar/current/index.pdf ETA: Oops - it's on page 27!

Good luck!

Ailsa

ETA: Took that last reference off since I figured it might not be to everyone's taste :rolleyes:

Here's another one for you DTrain: http://www.pilkey.com/bookview.php?id=13

It's amazing how our chlidhood experiences shape us in adulthood. This is one of Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story" broadcasts:

His name was Walter Elias, a city boy by birth, the son of a building contractor.

Before Walter was five, his parents moved from Chicago to a farm near Marceline, Missouri. And it was there on the farm that Walter would have his first encounter with death.

Walter was only seven that particular lazy summer afternoon, an afternoon not much different from others. Dad was tending to farm chores; mother was in the house. It was a perfect day for a young fellow to go exploring.

Now just beyond a grove of graceful willows lay an apple orchard. There Walter could make believe to his heart’s content that he was lost, which he never was, or that he had captured a wild animal, which he never had. But today was different. Directly in front of him about thirty feet away, perched in the low-drooping branch of an apple tree and apparently sound asleep – was and owl.

The boy froze. He remembered his father telling him that owls rested during the day so they could hunt by night. What a wonderful pet that funny bird would make. If only Walter could approach it without awakening it and snatch it from the tree.

With each step, the lad winced to hear dry leaves and twigs crackle beneath his feet. The owl did not stir.

Closer…closer…and at last young Walter was standing under the limb just within range of his quarry. Slowly he reached up with one hand and grabbed the bird by its legs. He had captured it! But the owl, waking suddenly, came alive like no other animal Walter had ever seen. In a flurry of beating wings, wild eyes and frightened cries, it struggled against the boy’s grasp. Walter, stunned, held on.

Now it’s difficult to imagine how what happened next, happened. Perhaps the response was sparked by gouging talons or by fear itself. But at some point the terrified boy, still clinging to the terrified bird, flung it to the ground and stomped it to death.

When it was over, a disbelieving Walter gazed down at the broken heap of bronze fathers and blood. And he cried. Walter ran from the orchard but later returned to bury the owl, the little pet her would never know. Each shovelful of earth from the shallow grave was moistened with tears of deep regret. And for months thereafter, the owl visited Walter’s dreams.

Ashamed, he would tell no one of the incident until many years later. By then, the world forgave him. For that sad and lonely summer’s day in the early spring of Walter Elias’ life brought with it an awakening of the meaning of life. Walter never, ever again, killed a living creature. Although all the boyhood promises could not bring that one little owl back to life, through its death a whole world of animals came into being.

For it was then that a grieving seven-year-old boy, attempting to atone for a thoughtless misdeed, first sought to possess the animals of the forest while allowing them to run free—by drawing them.

Now the boy, too, is gone, but his drawings live on in the incomparable, undying art of Walter Elias…Disney. Walt Disney. And now you know the rest of the story.

This might also explain why owls were so common in animated films made during Walt Disney's lifetime.

I can't help with the column part but, I'm a librarian in a 3-6th grade elementary school and you can't go wrong with childrens books featuring animals, especially dogs! I have thought of a few books that you might peruse just for the feel. Shep by Sneed B. Collard III which is based on a true story, Henry and Mudge, Clifford the Big Red Dog are just a few I can think of right now. Good luck and have fun with this! :rolleyes:

DTrain wrote in board entry named "He talks to Me'

"I noticed something I have never noticed before, just not in the right spot at the right time in total silence. I woke up this morning very early, very dark and very quiet. For some reason all three of my dogs were in my bedroom and two of them were on my bed. They usually don't do this so it was something of a surprise and I wondered why. I heard from one dog several very low and quiet growls and grunts in various tones. They were so quiet I had to listen hard. I thought perhaps he was dreaming but a second dog started doing the same thing. In fact they both did it for some time and I began to think that this sounds like some sort of communication. Was I dreaming or did I actually hear this and the question is, what was I hearing."

MartySQ responded with:

"DTrain, they were telling you what to write about!!!!"

Or one second thought, Were they very quietly snoring? I've heard my cat do that...

I am curious how all these opportunities came about. I am a writer and an editor and finding a willing publisher is da^n hard work. I am thoroughly jealous. Let me know if you need a ghost writer.

Sara

Hi Sara, Nice question. I am not sure, perhaps a set of circumstances. It is a bit of a long story but every time I turn around am I lead in this direction. I resisted it at first but I am not so sure that this is not my calling, something tells me just do it, do it for your dogs and all dogs. I think I created the opportunities with passion that in some ways I don't even control. Once I get stated on a subject concerning dogs it is like I am being lead along. I think I sell my ideas well and it comes from this passion. Sometimes when I am speaking with people about dogs or giving a speech they will stop me and say things like, I did not know that, that is amazing, how do you know this stuff or whatever and it tends to spur me on. Sometimes I see things I hate, I see stupid people do stupid things with dogs and I have a passion to jump in. People ask my advice all the time, they stop me on the street, they are attracted to my dogs. I am not the best writer in the world, just simple plain language. I am not the most knowledgeable person in the world when it comes to dogs but I seem to have a thing for both the desire to get a message across and a way of doing it. I am not so sure I even want to do this. I have a fear that I will do or say something or write about something that is wrong and wrong for dogs. I spend a lot of time being careful and sticking to the subject and being well informed. Thankfully most of it is common sense. So, if I can do it, if I can help dogs, if I can bring a better life to dogs I want to do it and there is something pushing at my back causing me to stumble forward but at least I am moving forward. I would love to be a real writer like you instead of some hack like me. I would love to have the confidence and motivation of a great writer but dogs need a voice and people need to listen so I accept what I am and I will do my best. Sorry for the long answer. I just think it is my passion that gets me attention. That along with a desire every chance I get to present my dogs mixed with a little force or unknown origin pushing me along.