BC Boards

Usher's back

Usher's brain turns to mush after about 15 minutes. Then, he doesn't listen. When he was a puppy, I just thought it was the puppy in him. He's now 2 1/2. He tires easy, always has. He's been checked by a vet and his heart and lungs are fine. My trainer doesn't think we'll make it past novice or nursery with him. Disappointing news. On the other hand, I have some pictures of something he loves to do. First pic all you can see is his tail.

cows001.jpg

He finally got them out of the field and into the smaller pen

cows002.jpg

The one gave him a little trouble- he didn't mind

cows004.jpg

Get up there with the rest of them

cows003.jpg

Then I ran out of batteries. He got them all in the barn. So with bad news, comes good news. Maybe I have a cow dog instead of a sheepdog.

My trainer doesn't think we'll make it past novice or nursery with him.

Dianne, Ive not ever asked about your trainer, but I have read some about him here and there, and understand that you trust him and his judgement, how ever, If your trainer doesnt compete in USBCHA trials, and has not trained and run dogs to those highest levels, would he be the best person to determine how far Usher will be able to get in a venue he himself does not compete in? As far as Ushers lack of stamina, I think you might want to try getting him in "working shape" and getting his house dog body into working shape, building stamina, (maybe even trying a different feed) before passing judgement there, especially since he vet checks out OK. It is hard for me to believe you would drop Ushers working career on one persons word. Perhaps a second opinion from Don or Dianne would be approprieate. If it were me and my dogs, Id certinly opt for a second opinion where my goals for myself and my dog were concerned.

Darci-

Thanks, not thinking of quiting. I'm taking Dianne Deal's clinic and part of it is lengthening the outruns. So, I still have hope. He really did enjoy the cattle, though. I've noticed with daily fetch and play he's always tired easily.

I completely agree with everything Darci said. Also, your trainer said Usher would not make it "past novice or nursery," but every nursery course I've ever seen is equivalent to at least a pro-novice course (and sometimes a full open ranch course). Maybe things are different in Idaho, but with your trainer's logic Usher should at least make it to p/n. This makes me wonder about whether your trainer really understands USBCHA trialing. I'd reserve judgment until I hear what Dianne says at the clinic if I were in your shoes.

Stamina needs to be built up daily, a little at a time over time. Look at folks training for the Olympics. They train and work out for a year or better to get themselves in shape mentally and physically. They are athletes, as are our dogs, and playing fetch is not going to build stamina enough for a working dog to be competitive, much less last a 30 minuet training session. Talk to your vet about things you can do with Usher and ways you can help to build stamina. And remember, the way he addresses his work in his mind, can also effect how he holds up physically, stamina wise too.

Usher is well bred and based on that, he should have no issues doing a USBCHA course. Has you trainer competed in Open or Nursery and trained a dog to that level? I would ask Pat, Dianne or Don for their advice and maybe send Usher to them for a few weeks of training and see what they say.

I agree with the others....he needs to have stamina. Start jogging with him or have him follow when you are biking. Getty takes the girls out and they run for 3 miles and by the time Finals will be here, they will be going 10 miles several times a week. I don't take them jogging or biking since I am recovering from the heart surgery so he does. I also toss a ball for them to swim in the pond for an hour and that builds their staminia.

Aslo if his brains turn to mush it could be either he has no stamina or has too much pressure on him

Diane

And remember, the way he addresses his work in his mind, can also effect how he holds up physically, stamina wise too.

This is a big issue for my Celt, who is naturally very anxious and extravagant with his movements. He'll start out a bit nervous, and then calm down a bit and do better, but then the anxiety builds as he tires a bit (or he tires a bit as the anxiety builds :rolleyes: ). Darci put it very well.

Thanks Sue, not any real epifinany there, just the voice of experience with a dog I have that does the same thing. She can wear herself out just thinking about getting to sheep!

I think the mental part plays a big role in how fast the dog tires. With my own dogs, Reign, even playing with a frisbee or a ball,which he takes very seriously, tires fairly fast, especially on a warm day. Mike, who doesn't take anything seriously and is almost 7 yrs old and was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 6 mos, can last forever without hardly panting. Seth can play all day without tiring, but put him on sheep which he is very serious about and he will tire easily if he's not in shape. Meg is another story altogether. A primadonna who is obsessed with sheep and loves to work, but is mostly out for an afternoon stroll. She can last if she's in the mood.

Dianne, I'd definitely go to Don, Pat or Dianne. Diane P is right about Usher's breeding. If he vet checks ok, I'd say he just needs steady exercise to build up his stamina....Too many Diannes!

My Jody went through a time where she had no stamina on sheep AND no stamina playing fetch. I kept trying for weeks to use fetch (low mental stress) to increase her stamina. Jody had Lyme. The lack of stamina could be a sign of a physical issue, especially if it is present in activities with little mental pressure.

Mark

My Mick went through the same with no stamina, TBD's was the answer. In the end I realized he had amazing stamina considering what he was giving me the whole time dealing with 2 TBD's that had become chronic. It also showed in how he could handle mental stress. He could take so much training then fry both physical and mentaly.

I sure would be wanting to put a bit more time and effort into him at this stage of the game. PN would be all you'd need. You could do all the competing that you wanted and not run out of dog if he was getting around a pn course.

Thank you everyone. I'm trying so hard to keep him exercised. Difficult. Can't balance a bike. Maybe I should get an old people trike. LOL. I'm still recovering, even though I'm out of the hospital. NOW I have a kidney infection. Isn't life fun? No jogging for me, but maybe there's a teenager down the road I could pay to jog with him. This is getting expensive. You all have brought up some wonderful ideas.