BC Boards

Does your Border Collie seem to need "alone" time?

Not sure when this started, but it seems that sometimes Scooter wants to be alone. If I walk into the room, he moves somewhere else, like the basement, or behind the recliner in the office. I don't think he's ill or in pain--we were just at the vet's last week, and he's only four years old. He's eating and drinking fine. Just seems odd for a dog that used to follow me everywhere. I'm trying not to take this personally. :rolleyes: My brother said his Aussie does the same thing. The only time they see him is if he wants something from them. LOL! :D

Blaze is like this, Lizzie is too. I think they like the quiteness that my room brings. It's upstairs, pretty far away from the kitchen/living room area where most everyone is when we are home. Plus, Blaze's crate is up stairs and Lizzie likes laying under a bench I have at the end of my bed.

Thought I'd add this too, the only time Blaze or Lizzie does this is if I'm not interacting with them. Like if I'm on the computer, doing school, etc.

Lok has always been pretty independent. He'll usually be in the same room as me, but hardly ever right next to me. Sometimes, when he wants a break from the other dogs he will go lay down in another room.

Jun on the other hand is as much of a velcro dog as a dog can be. In fact, a better term to describe her would probably be a "super glue" dog. If I'm on one side the kitchen and I move two steps tp the other side of the kitchen, she moves with me and is usually squashed between my legs and the counter. If there is any action there is no way she's gonna miss out on it!

Have there been any changes in your house that could be stressing him out? I'd probably be worried if my dog suddenly seemed to want to be away from his people more than he used to.

Poke likes to be able to see you, but not for you to see him.

Ah yes, Senneca likes to be alone at times, but she absolutely must be sure that she doesn't get left out, so she has established the front room as her Command and Control Centre. From there, she has total control over the stairway and all exits. The slightest hint of someone putting on shoes or rattling keys and she's out and giving you that "I'm with you" look.

Not sure when this started, but it seems that sometimes Scooter wants to be alone. If I walk into the room, he moves somewhere else, like the basement, or behind the recliner in the office. I don't think he's ill or in pain--we were just at the vet's last week, and he's only four years old. He's eating and drinking fine. Just seems odd for a dog that used to follow me everywhere. I'm trying not to take this personally. :rolleyes: My brother said his Aussie does the same thing. The only time they see him is if he wants something from them. LOL! :D

Jedi will rarely lay by me when in the house. He prefers the front or back doors where he can look out, or sometimes the kitchen because the tile is cooler than the wood floor. When Jedi is stressed, he puts himself in the laundry room. However, I can't imagine him actually walking away from me when I came into a room. I guess that's what concerns me about your post. Does he greet you first or just look at you and walk away?

Georgia

Ah yes, Senneca likes to be alone at times, but she absolutely must be sure that she doesn't get left out, so she has established the front room as her Command and Control Centre. From there, she has total control over the stairway and all exits. The slightest hint of someone putting on shoes or rattling keys and she's out and giving you that "I'm with you" look.

That sounds just like Brody, he does not often feel the need to be near us but hangs out in the dinning room which you have to pass through to get out the house

My last dog needed time alone, she stayed by my side all day but at night she would go into the bedroom and lay in her bed, even if I called her to the room where I was at she'd stay a few minutes and then go get back in her bed. The funny thing was that when I'd walk down the hall past the bedroom she'd get excited and I'd hear the familiar sound of her wagging tail hitting the wall. And, just like JLJ's Senneca she would not be left out if you were going outside for something LOL

I guess that's what concerns me about your post. Does he greet you first or just look at you and walk away?

Georgia

He will acknowledge me then leave shortly after. He's normally a very sweet, loving, sociable dog. But, sometimes it seems like he just wants to be off by himself. Border Collie attitude? His age? Maybe I'm disturbing his peace and quiet. I notice too that he will hear DH coming home and run to the door and wait excitedly for him to come in, greet him, then disappear a few minutes later. We have a very strong bond--he's always been more my dog than DH's. He usually prefers to be with me no matter what I'm doing. Funny thing too, he never barks when we come home and he's in his crate. You'd never know we even had a dog in the house. I know he's not deaf. Just being patient till we let him out? Always happy to see us when we open the cage. Right now--he's lying on my feet while I type this. Very content. :rolleyes::D

Joy's been like this lately. She wants the attention and wants to be by me--on her terms. I don't crate her while I sleep anymore, and she usually slept on a big pile of pillows next to my scraggly one (yes, Joy gets my three down pillows...sadly I'm stuck with the worn down synthetic pillow that's thin as a pancake :rolleyes:). Now she either sleeps on a chair that I stuck a quilt on for her, or in the farthest corner of my room that I can't see. The only time she comes near me in bed is in the morning. That's when Joy gets all wiggly and licky. Other than that, Joy's not really a velcro dog. She's always in the same room as me, but never really next to me.

I love the term Velcro dog. Meg tends to be one of these. She will not go out unless I am with her and at night I take the right side of the sofa, Meg the left. Most nights she sleeps on my bed. In fact I would be a little concerned that we have too much 'togetherness'. I think I should leave her alone in the house more often.

Maybe when the weather improves and the doors are open she will decide to explore. I have a dog walker about once a month and Meg loves to go with her.

Seeing as she is with me only 4 months it is early days yet. She is such a pleasure but I would like her to loosen the velcro a little for her own sake.