BC Boards

Non-AKC Obedience/Rally Trials

I went to an AKC obedience/rally trial this weekend and was amazed by the dogs and the activities. I am currently taking a rally class with Jade, not to learn how, but for another activity for us to participate in. However, after the trial, I am thinking that rally would be a lot of fun to participate in. Problem, of course, is that Jade isn't AKC (thank god!) and I'm not going to spay her just so she can be PALS registered or whatever.

Does anyone know of any competitions that aren't AKC or that accept non-AKC registered dogs to compete? Surely there must be- there's plenty of purebred dogs and mixed breed dogs that can do that stuff- just because you're not AKC doesn't mean you're not capable of being trained in these things.

Any ideas or experience?

UKC and they are harder to find then sheep :rolleyes:

I was afraid of that... my trainers at the dog class said they might have something, but I don't think they come to Iowa much if ever. I'll look into that though.

Cpe accepts mixes and such but I tihnk your dog has to be spayed look up canine performance events.

No, a dog does not need to be spayed to compete in CPE Agility. Bitches in heat can't compete, but when not in heat, unspayed bitches can compete. CPE is only Agility, though.

I went to an AKC obedience/rally trial this weekend and was amazed by the dogs and the activities. I am currently taking a rally class with Jade, not to learn how, but for another activity for us to participate in. However, after the trial, I am thinking that rally would be a lot of fun to participate in. Problem, of course, is that Jade isn't AKC (thank god!) and I'm not going to spay her just so she can be PALS registered or whatever.

Does anyone know of any competitions that aren't AKC or that accept non-AKC registered dogs to compete? Surely there must be- there's plenty of purebred dogs and mixed breed dogs that can do that stuff- just because you're not AKC doesn't mean you're not capable of being trained in these things.

Hi,

Did anyone mention ASCA? I'm not sure if they accept mix breeds though.

Of course dogs that are mixed breed and non-AKC are capable of being trained to do Obedience/Rally=) I love both events but obedience is my favorite. Actually, rally is all the doodles we've always used to polish our obedience work.

If you do eventually get Jade spayed and think you might want to compete in AKC, then you can get her registered. If not, there are plenty of things to keep you busy anywy=)

Janet

ETA If Jade is registered with ABCA you can register her with the AKC without having to spay her. Here is a link if you're interested.... http://www.akc.org/reg/open_registration.cfm

Lok and I do APDT Rally. He just got his first Rally title! It's lots of fun--we both like Rally better than regular obedience. It's more varied and not as . . . serious.

Obedience doesn't have to be that serious....It can be fun like Rally if you make it that way=) After all, Rally is just the Obedience doodles that we've used for years to help perfect and polish our heeling, pivots for gloves and articles, etc.

Janet

ASCA does allow mixed breeds (and any non-Aussie purebred) to compete in any of their programs (stockdogs are limited to herding dogs and herding mixes), execpt conformation, of course. They (along with CPE) do not require a dog to be altered before participating. Your mixed breed does not need to be registered with AMBOR, either.

AND...they are in the process of developing a rally program - YEAH, mixed breed doggies...I *believe* the rally program will debut at the Nationals in September - so I would guess it'll be available shortly after that (but don't quote me!).

ASCA is generally more common than UKC in many areas of the US and Canada.

So, check out ASCA (www.asca.org) and good luck with your obedience, tracking, agility, stockdog, or soon, rally ambitions.

Jennifer Akins

Trowbridge, CA

ETA If Jade is registered with ABCA you can register her with the AKC without having to spay her. Here is a link if you're interested.... http://www.akc.org/reg/open_registration.cfm

Sweet, I didn't realize that. Jade is ABCA registered... i figured there was enough scruff between ABCA and AKC that you couldn't do that.

That's cool that ASCA lets other breeds compete in their events- I believe my trainer is going to get Jade and I signed up for an ASCA trial sometime this summer :D

Dual-registering her for AKC doesn't make me a 'bad guy', does it? :D:rolleyes:

Dual-registering her for AKC doesn't make me a 'bad guy', does it? :D:rolleyes:

No. It's breeding and showing to the the AKC show "standard" that would send you straight on that road to he** :D

You *are* supporting AKC though, when you compete in their events. If there is a way around that, it would be a better decision in terms of ethics for this breed.

For me, non-AKC is easy when it comes to sheepdog trials (USBCHA, AHBA) and agility (USDAA). For obedience, the biggest game in town, the only game in many areas, is AKC.

The decision becomes personal in the end. There will always be someone who doesn't like what you pick; just as there are always grey areas to deal with.

If you register her AKC, ABCA will negate your registry.

That's not true at all.

The only time ABCA will pull a registration on a dog is if the dog becomes a champion in AKC conformation. Well, also if you breed and then falsify the papers, I suppose.

Here's what I found on ABCA's site in regards to registration as it relates to AKC:

Dogs ineligible for ABCA registration:

1. The ABCA is a working stockdog registry and believes that breeding for conformation standards rather than working ability is detrimental to the health and working ability of the Border Collie. Consequently dogs or bitches which have been named a "Conformation Champion" by a conformation registry are not eligible for ABCA registration, even if they otherwise meet the requirements for registration. The ABCA will de-register any ABCA registered dog or bitch should it be named a "Conformation Champion" after January 1, 2004, and will not register the offspring of any dog or bitch named a "Conformation Champion" after that date.

and also

Note: The ABCA does not recognize any registry that promotes conformation showing of Border Collies. Consequently, registration with the American Kennel Club, United Kennel Club, the Kennel Club (UK), Federation Cynologique Internationale, Australian or New Zealand Kennel Clubs, or any such body will not be accepted as a basis for registration with the ABCA.

I imagine it would be alright for Jade to be dual registered in this way... I certainly wouldn't care to support the AKC on a Border Collie basis, and we certainly won't be doing any conformation activities. The only reason I'm even thinking of it is for rally purposes, strictly for fun. Doubt much will be done with it, but it would be fun anyway. Unfortunately like Lenajo said, they're the only game in town.

I will definitely look into the other organizations that people listed on here! :rolleyes:

For Rally your best bet is APDT.

You can get a number and compete with an unaltered dog and all dogs, purebred or mutt, can compete.

If there are no trials in your area, you might be able to get something started!! :rolleyes: