BC Boards

Hello, newbie w/ new puppy checking in

This is my first post, I found this forum a few days ago and I've been doing lots of reading here. I've had BCs for years and I absolutely love the breed. I lost my faithful 12 yo BC "Roxie" a few months ago and I just got a new puppy, I named her "Kate" and she is responding very well to her training and seems to be a very smart girl.

She's only a little over 6 weeks old and has already learned to come to me when I whistle for her and is doing extremely well with her house training. After only 2 days shes going to the door when she needs to go out and do her business, I've never had a dog respond so quickly. Guess I'm a proud papa LOL, just wanted to say Hi to everyone and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the future

Picture004.jpg

I'm a newbie as well. Welcome. I've only been on this forum for 2 days and have already learned more from these forums and the people here than I did in 4 yrs of college. Very cute pup. Just out of curiosity. Are there a lot of BC's in Kentucky for any particular reason? I rescued mine through an organization in MD/PA and traced him back to Paris, KY where he was a stray.

I'm a newbie as well. Welcome. I've only been on this forum for 2 days and have already learned more from these forums and the people here than I did in 4 yrs of college. Very cute pup. Just out of curiosity. Are there a lot of BC's in Kentucky for any particular reason? I rescued mine through an organization in MD/PA and traced him back to Paris, KY where he was a stray.

I've been told the reason is that Border collies are farm dogs they are a dime a dozen and in WV, KY, and OH they have no real value like a Lab or Beagle per say. They arent a dog of status. So if one ends up at the pound esp the humanes you have to either spay or neuter or pay a large fee to retrieve your dog intact. If it's their second time being picked up you have no choice they spay/nueter. They also charge you for their surgery.

It's easier and cheaper to get a new dog than to retireve your old farm dog. :rolleyes::D

BTW cute puppy she looks like a good size for 6 weeks keep up the good work.

Welcome to a fellow Kentuckian! I'm quite jealous of your cute pup. :D

Are there a lot of BC's in Kentucky for any particular reason?

Sheryl's explanation makes sense to me, but we also can't forget the places down here that are producing so many border collies in the first place. We have a large number of border collie puppy mills in our neighbor to the south, Tennessee, and what seem like an extremely large number of BYBs here in Kentucky itself. :rolleyes: Some days I think we are entirely over-run (even more so than other parts of the country) with unwanted border collies.

Welcome to a fellow Kentuckian! I'm quite jealous of your cute pup. :D

Sheryl's explanation makes sense to me, but we also can't forget the places down here that are producing so many border collies in the first place. We have a large number of border collie puppy mills in our neighbor to the south, Tennessee, and what seem like an extremely large number of BYBs here in Kentucky itself. :rolleyes: Some days I think we are entirely over-run (even more so than other parts of the country) with unwanted border collies.

What is the BYB price for a border collie there? I'm curious. I was told the litter and parents we rescued that were registered ABCA the woman could not get even 50 dollars for them.

oh and I forgot the obvious reason for so many BC's. Failure to spay and neuter.

What is the BYB price for a border collie there? I'm curious.

I'm no expert, but the ads in the newspaper (and they are there almost every week in the Bowling Green one) usually list pups for $100-200. But I also know of BYBs giving away pups that haven't sold before they outgrow their cuteness. And I think those pups ended up registered ABCA, too.

Thanks for the replies. In my area there are a few BC breeders but they are'nt having any puppies right now, they say they can't give them away right now let alone sell them. I've been looking for a pup locally for several months and finally found Kate (she had 3 little brothers too). Local puppies when you can find them are bringing $150-$250, now I see them advertised in the Louisville paper for $350-500 so it varies quite a bit. 12 years ago when I got Roxie there were BC pups for sale everywhere but thats not the case now.

There are lots of BCs on farms here that are working dogs, but not many people have them for pets. BCs are the only breed of dog that I've ever owned and I'm not really interested in anything else (Kate is dog #6 in a long line of great BCs I've owned) . I started out a few months ago by registering with some local BC rescues, I know a lot of good BCs end up in shelters and I think rescuing them is a good thing to do but all they ever had were half breed dogs - lots of Lab/BC mixes out there... (nothing against mixed breed dogs but I wanted a purebred) and when I did find a few purebred dogs that interested me they wanted more for an adoption fee than I could buy a puppy for, so my search for a pup from a decent bloodline that I could afford has been a little frustrating to say the least.

hi im also a newbie been here about 3 days i believe lol i have learned alot. my husband gre up with blue heelers and border collie ,me with aussies. so i do not know as much as i ould like about the breed.he on the other hand does.we had dutches(rip) for almost a year until someone poisoned her (or so we believe)she was such a sweet pup.