BC Boards

Does your vet say your BC is too skinny?

Not my vet, but my husband has been getting on me lately about how much weight our mutts have lost. Maddie was always on the chunky side and Sammie had gained about 5 pounds over the last year. I cut their portions a bit about three months ago and both are looking great now.

You can feel their ribs very nicely, but they aren't sticking out at all.

Still, he says I'm starving them (yeah, with snacks of yogurt and raw meaty bones a couple times a week in addition to their regular food) and wants me to feed them more.

I think most of the pets we see at the vet clinic I work at are overweight. Some people really don't seem to realize their pet is overweight. Then I go and get my BC from the back and get them to feel her ribs etc. I could count every rib on her if I wanted to. The vet I work for says you should be able to easily feel the ribs and that the only thing between the skin and ribs is fat. He also said that there are more studies being done and that the old "ideal" body weight is actually not "ideal". Ideal is one below that. There are so many people that think I'm starving my dog though....but she's lean ideal body weight. 33 lbs and 19.5 inches tall.

My vet prefers the dogs to be "skinny". He never tells me to put some weight on the dogs. I have two dogs, who, most people think, are bone racks, people who aren't around working dogs. So much better on them to be a bit thin, versus being overweight. Our accupuncturist, on the other hand, thinks that my one dog's weight is perfect, she needs to lose about 5 pounds. I would be upset if my vet told me to put weight on my guys, I would find someone else to go to, someone who understands working dogs.

I'm constantly paranoid that my BC is too fat. His only dog companion in our house is a 120lb German Shepherd who gets 6-8 cups of food a day, and my BC keeps thinking he needs to eat just as much, even though we put much less in his bowl!

(Vet keeps insisting he's just fine, but I think he's overweight)

He's about 50 lbs and 20" at the withers.

I had Luna with me the last time I picked up some dog food. An older gentleman in the store took a long look at her, took a pointed look at me, then gazed off into the middle distance and announced in a loud voice, "Someone should give that dog a good meal." Yeesh!

Here's the girl in question. Lulu's very whippety---nipped-in waist, thunder thighs, cheetah backbone and all. But you can scarcely feel her ribs...! She's in fine (if not yet working) condition, and my vets think she's in great shape.

UndertheOranges3.jpg

Lulookingtheotherway.jpg

Lulooking.jpg

Luontheprowl.jpg

All these photos were taken this afternoon. In the last shot, she's getting set to head Twig :mad:

"... give that dog a good meal"... :rolleyes: :mad: :D

What a beautiful girl you have!!! I should have my daughter send in a picture of my grand-dog, Amica. She is Phoenix's littermate. Phoenix got weighed last week at a whopping 45 lbs. & about 24" and his sister is only 28 lbs.! He has alot of long silky fur, that makes him look bigger than he is. When I give him a bath, his little body, looks good! He was the 2nd biggest pup in the litter, Amica was the runt. She is beautiful, and looks alot like Lulu! Very tiny, whippet like is a good description actually. Look at the difference in weight between the 2 pups from the same litter. Phoenix's build is alot like the Dad and Amica is alot like Mom. She is oh my God fast, and constantly on the move. She lives in a very active family as well. My daughter's Vet, says Amica is fine. She eats well and yep she dose get good meals!! We both actually make a chicken "stew", to mix in with their dry food. LOL...but for people who don't know BC's, I can understand why someone would say she is skinny..

She is my beautiful little BC grand-doggie and I think she is perfect (just like her bro!)