BC Boards

Weird potty thing

Rezso has never once before had an accident in the house. In fact, he's proven he can hold it. (He refused to potty while we were camping, and after a day he finally just HAD TO GO)

We take him out often...

Well tonight, I was sitting next to his dog bed, and he runs up to it and starts pawing at it like crazy. Rotates around, paws at it more. For about 3 minutes. I figure he's just "making it comfortable."

Then he flops down, and leans against me, like he normally does. After a few minutes, he stood up and I noticed the bed was SOAKED in dog urine.

I didn't scold him, since he already moved before I noticed it. But i did hose him off.

Is this some weird marking behavior maybe?

Our female bc pup, Pepper, does this. She cannot be trusted around dog beds or bedding. Never did figure it out...

What does ~bumping mean?
Threads on this board are listed in order of the last time a post or response was made, with the most recent being at the top of the list. A thread with a last response just after midnight today would be well down the list. Often, those reviewing the listing of threads later in the day might miss a thread whose last update occurred much earlier in the day, or on a previous day; by posting a response, the thread is "bumped" up to the top of the list.

Meg did it once in her kennel, but it was my fault. Most of the time she doesn't go before bed, and even when she does, she needs to dink around in the yard for a while first. She holds it so well that I sometimes forget to let her out. She also barks for other reasons in her crate, but I've now decided that whenever she barks in the crate she needs to go out. She has had a couple of urinary tract infections, and when that happens, she goes very frequently and she's uncomfortable. Fortunately, they are easily cured with a course of antibiotics.

Lots to consider!

I've never had it happen but a friend of mine that has greyhounds has. One of her females insists on peeing on her bed, whether it's in her crate or out in the living room. I was visiting one day and we were just sitting around the living room after having let the dogs in from the backyard when Squid started digging at her bed. I asked my friend and she said to just watch. Squid dug around then squatted and peed, not just a little drip but like she really needed to go. And she had just been outside!

My friend's opinion is that it comes from how racing greyhounds are raised. I don't know. I do know that it would drive me nuts for my dog to be peeing on every dog bed in the house whenever she felt like it. My friend just washes the beds on a fairly regular basis and lives with it. Squid even does it when she is in her crate at agility shows!

So I guess I've seen the behavior but I have no idea why it happens.

Olivia

Our female Springer has had urinary incontinence since she was a pup. She will just leak urine. My wife has her on Proin 50 chewable tablets. I believe you have to get these from the vet. They do work and the problem will be solved. To the best of my knowledge, this is a life long problem and more prone to female dogs.

Zag did it once, I caught him in the act and used my mean voice as i took him out. When he finished outside I praised him and treated, never had a problem again. Well there was the poop on the couch, but honestly i don't know if it was him or Syd. Sydney has yet to be busted for going inside, and i don't think it was her. For being somewhere around a year old, she is very trustworthy.

Hmm... pepper did it before she got spayed and after she finished her course of Flagyl antibitiocs for a bowel infection...so not sure why she did it.

All I do know, is that she had taught Poppy to do it too. So we too used our mean voice.

He no longer does it. But We only recently let him start sleeping on the dog bed again. She on the other hand won't be sleeping on a blanket for awhile...

She also likes to pee in the kiddie pool so we had to also train her out of that.

Maybe she's just a weird dog..?