BC Boards

Choosing a breeder?

So, I've narrowed it down to two breeders. Both are working bred breeders, and have eye, and hip tested dogs, and the dogs seem 'proven' in their herding. So, I'm new to border collies, and choosing my breeder, so I'm needing a little help from you guys, who know border collies, and know breeders.

My first choice is Fieldstone Border Collies. I've liked them for a long time, and have been in contact with them.

My second choice is Merlynn Kennel. I've talked to this breeder as well, seen pictures, and asked a few questions.

Both seem like really nice breeders to me, and the difference I see (But that's just me, which is why I'm asking for help) is that Merlynn Kennels is about 6 hours(each way) from here. It wouldn't be too bad, we could probably do the drive in one day, with two or more people driving. Fieldstone is about a 20 hour drive, each way.

I can't decide. Fieldstone said they'd ship to me, but even then, it'd be a long flight, and we'd drive to just about the same place as the other breeder to pick the pup up in Portland. Only difference would be that along with the price of the pup, and the flight over (from Fieldstone), I'd be paying the gas to Portland. With the other breeder, they're pretty close to Portland, and the pups are the same price, but I wouldn't have to pay airfare.

Fieldstone information found here: http://www.fieldstonebordercollies.com/main.html

Merlynn Kennel information found here (first on the list): http://www.breeders.net/search.php?action=...p;x=58&y=20

What do you think?

*Also, on a totaly unrelated question, where do I post pictures of dogs that AREN'T border collies?

Shay,

I thought you'd decided to rescue. There are some wonderful rescues--including puppies-- in your area. Are you sure you don't want to give a home to a dog who might otherwise be put down?

The shelters and rescues are crowded, overcrowded, euthanizing dogs on a daily basis. With the economy and the housing crisis, it's just going to get worse.

Please consider a rescue. I'm sure there are groups who would work with you to find a suitable puppy.

BCDreamer, I commend you for doing your research so well.

One question -- if I'm not mistaken, you said you weren't planning to get your pup until summer 2010. If that's the case, there is an active trial season in the Northeast in summer and it's entirely possible that someone would be willing to transport a Fieldstone pup to you, or close to you, on their way to or from a trial. Would that be something you would consider?

I think there are limits to the amount of pressure that can be reasonably be applied to steer people toward rescue. The rescue question was already covered with BCDreamer in this thread. Moreover, the rescue dog just posted is more than 3,000 miles away from him.

Yup, After I posted it, I realised they were near Portland MAINE not Portland OR

I don't want to come across as rude, but everytime Shay posts, someone has to recommend rescue. Why? Is it not okay that she's decided to go with a breeder? I guess I just don't understand. . .if she's decided to go with a reputable working breeder, whats wrong? *shrugs*

Shay and I have been talking about this for over a year now, she's very interested in Border Collies and is thinking through everything that comes with owning one, this is not a spur of the moment decision. :rolleyes:

You know what I think of David and Christine :D But the other breeder looks good, too. Have you talked to each breeder about temperments of the dogs you are interented in getting a pup from? That would be the first thing I would do since you've stated that both breeders are about "equal" in how they've placed at trials and both breeder's dogs are working lines.

So, I've narrowed it down to two breeders.

Fieldstone information found here: http://www.fieldstonebordercollies.com/main.html

Merlynn Kennel information found here (first on the list): http://www.breeders.net/search.php?action=...p;x=58&y=20

What do you think?

I have a Fieldstone dog, he is the best dog there ever was... :rolleyes::D

I have seen a few dogs from the Deschambeault's, - herding, agility, obedience, nice dogs...

I can't help you decide, thats entirely up to you....but a little partial to Fieldstone.... :D

I may still look into a rescue, but right now I'm thinking a pup from a breeder. It may change though, depending on who's in the rescuse when I'm ready for a dog...

JMack, no not exactly near me. I'm in NB Canada.

Eileen Stien, I had decided that if I was to get a pup from Fieldstone, I'd ship, since I wouldn't want to hassle people to do a transport here. If I get a fieldstone dog, I can ship her here, no problem, but then I also have to pay the gas to Protand Maine, and if I go to Portland, Maine, the other breeder's right there...

Maybe, though, a rescue dog would help with my deciding on a breeder! I don't know, all I know is that I'm looking around, and trying to decide. I will keep my eyes on the rescues, espicially the Ontario Border Collie rescue since I'm supposed to be making a summer trip there in the summer of 2010, so I could bring it home after...

Thanks for the information.

Hi Shay,

I took a look-see at your older posts. If I was interested in getting a dog that could work stock, I would very definately get a pup (or started dog) from a breeder and handler of open USBCHA dogs. I have taken (and still have) rescues, but for a working stock dog, it's a no-brainer: go with the proven lines. We've had two dogs from David and Christine, and each has been a exactly as they have described it. I'd reccomend them again to anybody, at any time. They are great people and breed great dogs. On the other hand, the Deschambeaults are close to you and also have some way-cool dogs. If you are interested in training your pup to work, they can provide you with a lot of help, support, and names of others in your area afflicted with the same ambition. (A six hour drive may seem like a lot now, but if you stick with this, then it will start to seem like a trip to the local store. :rolleyes: ) With them that close, you can take a drive and meet the parents, watch them work, and decide if you would be comfortable with a dog whose temperament may very likely be similar to its parents. You can look at dogs bred from that line and decide what you think of them, too. Staying close may give you more choices.

HTH,

CR

CR, I'm talking to her, and I think I'm going to go meet her, and meet her dogs (Lynn Deschambeault) in September at the Blue Hill fair (I think that's what it's called) which is about 2 or 3 hours from me. She's been a great help with awnsering questions, offering to let me come and meet her, telling me about trials that are close I could go to to watch, and letting me know about her dogs.

She's closer, so I'll probably end up going with her, because if I need help, it's more comforting to have a breeder 6 hours from me, rather than 20.

I think there are limits to the amount of pressure that can reasonably be applied to steer people toward rescue. The rescue question was already covered with BCDreamer in this thread. Moreover, the rescue dog just posted is more than 3,000 miles away from him/her.

Thank You

Hi Shay,

(A six hour drive may seem like a lot now, but if you stick with this, then it will start to seem like a trip to the local store. :rolleyes: )

A six hour drive is a piece of cake. My friend and I did a 6900 KM round trip to adopt a dog..

You have to go with what you think is best for you - puppy from a breeder or a rescue dog. I have both. Right now the three dogs that I have are all from breeders, the youngest being 6 months old (and who may not see a year old if she doesn't quit being such an evil bratty little thing :D ). I am currently fostering a dog for our rescue organzation. My next dog will be a senior rescue again, but I have to place my foster dog first, and give my household a break, as fostering stresses my old boy out, and I have had one foster or another in my house for quite some time. I will always have both in my household. I adopt seniors over younger dogs, as so many of them are passed over, and I love to have the old ones around, no matter how short their time is with me.

Hi Shay,

Both of the kennels have excellent dogs and breed true to the intended purpose.

Try and attend some trials in the next year. I don't think there are any in NB, closest are in NH and ME;

check out www.nebca.net and www.ontariobordercollieclub.com for trials in the N.E. next year.

You can not go wrong with your choices (the same can't be said for some of the adverts I saw....ick)

cynthia

Even as "rescue person", I have to agree with Eileen. Also, even as a "rescue person", I think you couldn't go wrong with either breeder.

My friend has a 9 month old pup out of a Deschambeault dog. He's not had any serious training yet, but is showing some good stuff on stock. I also think he'll make an awesome agility dog!

Lizmo has told me great things about Fieldstone, and I know you've spoken with her about them. I second them, dunno much about the other breeder, but other folks seem to like them, and I trust their judgement!

Good on you for doing the right research. Good BC breeders can be diamonds in the rough, but when you've found a good one, it's the best decision you'll make.

Thanks! I've been talking, and it sounds like I'll probably be going with Lynn and her dogs. She's closer, and I'd like to have someone closer incase down the road we need some help.

We're making plans to go meet her and her dogs this September, and after that, supposing I like all of her dogs in person, I'll be making my deposit, possibly even bringing one with me.

I don't know when the pup will come (when in 2010), because she only breeds 2 litters a year, so I'll go with the breeding I prefer, when even it happens.

I'm really excited. I find myself with the dogs I've got right now, and they do something I don't like, or react poorly to something, and I'm all "That's one of the first things I'll work on with the pup!" :rolleyes:

I'm very excited... :D Can you tell? lol

Awesome! I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but don't rush anything! If the litter, pups, parents, whatever, if anything seems not quite right for you, wait. I saw a few litters from various breeders go by that I was welcome to a pup of, before I found the pairing I liked. I don't regret my decision, or waiting, one bit. The wait is the hardest part, but so worth it in the end!

Taking all other things into consideration (health clearances, working ability, temperament of the parents, etc)...choose a breeder you like and are comfortable with. Choose one that answers your questions to your satisfaction. Choose one you like.

I think that often gets overlooked, and this is a relationship you'll have for the next (hopefully) 15+ years. When something isn't going right (be it stockdog training or basic house manners), you want to feel comfortable either calling or shooting off a quick e-mail. You don't want to have to worry if you're "bothering" him or her.

Don't worry about how close or far you are from the breeder. That's minor compared to all the other factors. :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun with your new puppy!

Jennifer Akins

www.jentodogs.com

Thanks, guys.

Lynn has been awnsering a lot of my questions, even though she knows it wont be until 2010, and has offered to let me come and see her, take me to some herding trials, and has been telling me about border collie people closer to me, etc., and I'm quite comfortable with her. I haven't really decided, but it will probably be her, because I can go and meet her dogs to make sure the pair is right, and I can't really with Fieldstone.