BC Boards

Owning a "working" dog

I just looked over my original post and thought I might as well clear something up that I don't think I put very...erm...shall we say, eloquently?

I never meant to say (or imply) that I myself considered Joy a working dog. I know if I said Joy was a working dog on this board, people would think "Oh, Haleigh all of a sudden started herding with Joy!" and quite honestly, I would never start herding with her. I always thought it seemed kind of boring (but it is beautiful, watching any dog doing what they were bred to do) to stand in the middle of a field and have my dog round up a bunch of sheep into a pen. That's why I do agility, since it's more fast paced. I also made it very clear to my breeder that even though Joy had a strong working potential, I was going to do any actual working in terms of sheep.

What I was actually trying to get across is I don't agree that saying a border collie is working dog only if they herd. I meant that I think any dog can be called working dog if they have an actual job like SAR, tracking, schutzund, police work, herding..etc. I also don't think that agility, obedience, or freestyle is enough to constitute an actual working dog.

I hope that help clears thing up a little bit. I'm good at word talking, especially since I can immediately change what I said when I realize what I said, but typing is a bit different :rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..I don't even know what kimchee is...

Kimchee is a fabulous korean dish which is pretty salty, made up of fermented vegetables. Depending on what "region" its from (or how the individual makes it) it can have fish. I have a friend from korea, and her mom makes really good kimchee.

.....as I am in the hospital tomorrow or another heart procedure. It's a cardio version....which they shock the heart into normal rhythm. They did it once before but it failed since the new wall failed. Now with the *clam shell* working, they will do it again tomorrow......

Diane

Good luck Diane, hope the new year will bring you a fully functioning heart!

Now go make some sour bratten to go with your sushi. :rolleyes:

Owning a Border Collie and not working it on livestock is NOT ruining the breed or even the individual dog. Breeding without training the dog for livestock work will ruin a working breed.

Mark (coming to you from Greenville, SC)

>>>I'd send food, but, well, perhaps southern food is not just the thing to help your heart<<

Um, smothered chicken, pralines, gumbo, ettouffe.....they all are healing food. Jeff made me seafood gumbo last week. Dr said ease up on the salt but they didn't say anything about fried or gravey!!

Diane

What I was actually trying to get across is I don't agree that saying a border collie is working dog only if they herd. I meant that I think any dog can be called working dog if they have an actual job like SAR, tracking, schutzund, police work, herding..etc. I also don't think that agility, obedience, or freestyle is enough to constitute an actual working dog.

I can def see where you're coming from here - my little mixed girl, Ziva, is in training as a SAR dog and I'd be pretty annoyed if anyone tried to tell me that what she's learning to do isn't work and/or it fell in line with the agility she does on the side in terms of being work or non-work. Here on this board I assume "work" is more likely to be related to sheep than to SAR, but they're both "work" to me.

I do have to add though that I'd pull schutzhund and tracking out of your list of work, since both are done strictly for competitions, not for use in the real world. The difference between what I do in SAR training and what you see in formal tracking training is incredibly big because they have incredibly different goals - the same would apply to people training a dog in police apprehension tasks or personal protection vs. traditional schutzhund.

And I do understand how schutzhund/tracking isn't considered 'working' compared to personal protection and SAR, but I consider those more of a working job compared to, oh, lets say flyball.

Anyways, since I pretty much believe it took up until now to understand what I intended (and I blame myself 100%!) I guess it's time for this to come to an end...

Happy new years :]

And I do understand how schutzhund/tracking isn't considered 'working' compared to personal protection and SAR, but I consider those more of a working job compared to, oh, lets say flyball.

Let's look at context, though. Say a dog is used by a Flyball instructor as help in teaching Flyball to new students. In that context, I consider what the dog is doing as "work" as an aide to the instructor in an educational setting.

I bring along a dog when I teach CU classes to assist me with the reactive/fearful/unfocused dogs. My dog must be calm in his or her crate while I teach, come out to demo exercises, and be the dog that the other dogs are looking at/approaching/etc. in the exercises. I consider this "work" for my dogs. Helping reactive/fearful/unfocused dogs is not a sport, game, or hobby for my dogs - it is definitely work! Work that they enjoy, but work all the same, and their attitude toward it is different than their attitude toward games. They know the difference!

When Speedy and I go to perform Freestyle routines at nursing homes or assisted living centers or at events that raise money for rescues/shelters/etc, I consider that "work", both as performance art and as service. I don't consider Freestyle competition as "work" - that is hobby/sport, but in those other circumstances, it certainly is as I understand it.

Like I said before, what qualifies as "work" is subjective and depends a lot on context.

When internet drama gets to be too much, I just look at this:

duty_calls.png

Visualizing that generally makes me smile no matter what people say to me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Jen. My wish for the New Year is that folks on Internet forums would spend some time trying to understand a person's intent behind their words instead of just jumping on the words. In most cases, people aren't *trying* to be insulting, and yet people are so quick to be insulted. And that's the huge downside of Internet conversations....

J.