BC Boards

Question from Hawaii

Since Hawaii has very limited livestock and not many ranches. I was wondering if I could use a remote control car to help my dog karl release his desire to herd? If you know any locations here on Oahu that I can take Karl to herd livestock, I would very much appreciate the suggestions.

I would NOT recommend a remote conrolled car. It ranks right up there with using a laser light to play with your pet. It can cause all sorts of unwanted and bad behaviors. A border collie doesn't need to herd. It can be quite content to do all sorts of activities, like hiking, biking, obedience training, rally-o, agility, flyball, etc. I'm sure there is something out there you can do.

I would NOT recommend a remote conrolled car. It ranks right up there with using a laser light to play with your pet. It can cause all sorts of unwanted and bad behaviors. A border collie doesn't need to herd. It can be quite content to do all sorts of activities, like hiking, biking, obedience training, rally-o, agility, flyball, etc. I'm sure there is something out there you can do.

Aw man, I just bought a remote control car.

Well the thing about Karl is that he's very well behaved. Does commands on a dime. He is a frisbee dog. He knows when it's play time and he knows when to quit. But, i will consider your opinion and think about it more. Thanks for the reply

"Herding" is for livestock. Period. Kids on bicycles or skateboards, or the kitties, or rabbits, or the vacuum cleaner, or laser lights, or remote controlled cars have NOTHING to do with your dog's supposed "desire to herd." Any behaviors you might encourage your dog to do with any of these objects is just weird, obsessive behavior and has nothing to do with instinctive behavior to work stock.

A

BCs do NOT necessarily need to herd. While it is what they're bred for, it isn't a necessity.

I'm sure there's some dog sports happening in Hawaii, like agility, flyball, dock diving, etc. Border collies EXCEL in dog sports and it's a great release for their energy, as well as their intelligence, and it's a fantastic bondiong experience.

Having no idea where exactly you are in Hawaii, I found you some links:

http://www.pawsuniversity.com/training.htm

http://articles.directorym.com/Agility_Tra...097-Hawaii.html (this one seems like a weird directory page, but if you nav around, you might find some useful stuff!)

Hope that helps! I'm getting a BC puppy in a few weeks, and while I may do herding lessons for fun with him, he'll mostly be doing sports to keep busy.

ETA: Oh, durr, you're in Oahu, you told us that. Well, Paws University has a place on Oahu :rolleyes:

I agree with what the others have said. Encouraging chasing of remote controlled cars is just setting your dog up for annoying, obsessive behaviors, I don't care how obedient he otherwise is. And a remote-controlled car is but a small step away from any other motorized (or human-propelled) object--if he decides to transfer the chasing you're allowing o the one object to others, you could have a serious problem on your hands. Take the remote-controlled car back and spend time with frisbee or whatever other sports you like. If you don't have a real need for a working dog, then there's no imperative to work the dog on stock of any sort (or any motorized subsitute)--the dog won't miss it.

J.

Without my realizing it, the kids taught Ted to chase their little cars when he was a pup. It took me almost two years (six months' old until now) to break him of chasing cars - INTENSELY. And he's really only looking over his shoulder to see whether anyone's watching - he still wants to do it badly.

I can't say enough to say how much you would regret letting him do that, too.

:rolleyes:

I know so many people are VERY against using remote control cars.

BUT with anything its a case by case basis.

WE use one with the dogs.

we ONLY use it about 2-3 times a year.

and limit their time chasing it.

we like to use it on the beach, or on muddy grassy areas.

its not something that all dogs should do. and its REALLY not something to let them do on a regular basis.

its a nice treat for the very rare occasion at our house

Aw man, I just bought a remote control car.

Well the thing about Karl is that he's very well behaved. Does commands on a dime. He is a frisbee dog. He knows when it's play time and he knows when to quit. But, i will consider your opinion and think about it more. Thanks for the reply

So's my Violet. She can play frisbee, Kong, all kinds of games on command, and knows "that'll do" means it's time to go on to the next thing. Except when she's in the throes of her Obsessive Collie Disorder. Which in her case is harassing my little feist, Abbie. Violet stalks Abbie, stares at Abbie, grips Abbie, and generally drives us all nuts - especially Abbie! :D Oh, she'll stop if I tell her to - only to go right back to it as soon as I look the other way. :rolleyes:

But really, I consider myself fortunate. I have read of collies with waaay worse obsessions than Violet's, on this board. We have collies who are light-obsessed, shadow-obsessed, reflection-obsessed, obsessed with chasing their tails (roundandroundandroundand . . ), and - this is my favorite - several who are obsessed with trees. :D

Do your part to stamp out Obsessive Collie Disorder - take the remote control car back from whence it came! :D