BC Boards

Ness' sarcoma

Pippin's person

We've just been back to the vet, 16 days after the initial diagnosis of a soft-tissue sarcoma on Ness (you can read her story at these posts Ness 1, Ness 2, Ness 3)

The tumor has grown fairly aggressively in this short time and is obviously inoperable. We have pretty much decided not to put her through aggressive treatment because, from what we've read and discussed with our vet and others, any treatment will not likely extend her life by much and more importantly, will also likely compromise her current quality of life. She is in pretty good shape right now--happy, eating, playing, barking at bikes. The vet thinks we have a few months based on the changes to the tumor.

Rationally, I believe this is the right course of action for her and for us. Just going back and forth for treatment would be so hard on her. She hates the car, is afraid of unfamiliar things and people, etc.

Still, there is this part of me that keeps feeling panicky that it's the wrong choice--that we *should* pull out all the stops. I know we've given her a good life while we've had her (and I know that she's given us something precious as well) and I'm very glad for that. But, I'm so sad that she had so little time to be clearly loved and cared for--or maybe just that we have had so little time to love and care for her.

Please keep this senior girl from Ohio in your thoughts.

What a sad decision to have to make. :rolleyes: An inoperable tumor is something I've faced a few times with pets too, and it's hard not to feel like, hey, can't I DO something? Shouldn't I try? You know you are making the right decision, but it feels so wrong. Sending good thoughts for you and Ness.

I'm so sorry Robin.

Think of it as your gift to Ness. To put her though the torture of trying to extend her life while making her miserable would not be what she would want.

Enjoy the special time you have left.

I'm so sorry, Robin and Susan. As someone who has gone the other direction and spent too much of my beloved kitty Gonzo's last weeks trying in vain to prolong his life at the expense of his quality of life, there's no doubt in my mind that you are making the correct decision, as tough as it is. Enjoy your final few months with Ness; she's a lucky girl to have caring people who love her and only want the best for her at this time.

I also agree you are making the right decision.

We had to make the decision not to treat Charlotte for her aggressive form of GI Tract Lymphoma. She was only 4 yrs old. We only had 3-4 months after the diagnosis. The best thing I can say to do is figure out what "SIGN" will allow you actually make the final decision. Since Charlotte was a food hound we decided the day she stopped eating was going to be THE day.

I am a firm believe in Quality over Quantity.

Sorry to hear about Ness.

I am so sorry. My 10 year old corgi was recently diagnosed with a sarcoma in his ear cartilage. They were able to remove the tumor, but didn't get all of it due to its location. I chose just to leave it be. I too didn't want to put him through aggressive treatments, especially due to his age. It makes me sad to think of his last few days, months or possibly years being full of trips to the vet, surgeries, ect. I just think that it would all be more for me and not him. He has had a great life, and still does. It is my goal to make sure he keeps his dignity in his final days. I will keep you and Ness in my thoughts.

I am a firm believe in Quality over Quantity.

I agree. And remember that dogs don't view time the same way we do, so no matter how short her time with you (and yours with her), at the end it will be your love and kindness that she's experiencing and remembering. And that's the most important thing for her.

J.

I'm sorry to hear about Ness' prognosis. However, deciding to keep her comfortable rather than putting her through a difficult treatment is not an unreasonable or unkind decision. Yes, I have chosen to treat a 16 yo w/liver cancer but I have chosen for other pets not to put them through treatment plus I had a dearly loved senior cocker whose cancer was inoperable who I kept comfortable until she needed help going to the Bridge. IMO there is no decision that is right for all pets - depending on the type of cancer and its prognosis, potential results of the treatment, the personality of the pet, age, financial resources, etc. all play a part in making the right decision for that particular pet. You have nothing to feel guilty about - you gave a senior dog a good home with love, medical care, food, shelter, etc. and you're making sure that she doesn't suffer. She has been blessed to have you - and I'm sure Ness knows it!

I agree. And remember that dogs don't view time the same way we do, so no matter how short her time with you (and yours with her), at the end it will be your love and kindness that she's experiencing and remembering. And that's the most important thing for her.

J.

Julie put it much better than I could. I'm sorry your time with Ness is limited. I know you guys will spoil her rotten and she'll know she is loved until the end.

Ness and Nell....

I can most definitely sympathize since I'm an going thru the same thing with Nell's lymphoma. We were given a 30-60 day prognosis if we didn't choose chemo. We had a too brief 10 day remission after we started the Prednisone but the cancer is getting a greater grip on Nell's health.

I understand that guilty feeling that maybe there is more that I could have done. There are many internet sites featuring other dogs with cancer and reading about their treatment tribulations leaves me with mixed feelings about my own choices. I've assuaged my own guilt by taking time off work on some of these beautiful fall days and spending the whole day just playing with my dogs outside. I wish I could freeze Time, but I can't and I'll always have those special days with Nell to remember.

Nell doesn't know she's sick and she spends every day outside with her chickens and sheep and playing with the other dogs. She's having some trouble breathing now and her appetite isn't great but she's happy and pain-free.

Today is Day 30 and we saw the vet this morning. We had a very sad but good discussion about the end of her life. I feel better prepared to do what needs to be done when she lets me know that it is time.

Recently I had a dream about a local dog that had a lousy life tied on a chain. I wanted to free her so badly but the owners wouldn't cooperate. Shortly after that, Nell came into my life. I have given Nell what I couldn't give that other dog and I take comfort in that. We've both giving 2 old gals a peaceful passage and what more could a dog want?

Hugs and scruffles to you and Ness.....

Very hard decision.

If it helps at all, my parent's last dog (my baby, too) got cancer and we opted to try surgery to extend her life a while. So, she went through surgery and had maybe 4 good weeks at home, before she died an incredibly painful, agonizing death. I typed a description of it here, but decided it couldn't do you any good to hear about that right now. Me. either. :rolleyes:

I decided after that experience that I would be reluctant to try any extreme measures to keep a pet alive, only to risk putting her through more pain than she would otherwise have. So, while I'm sure you can second-guess yourself into the ground, remember that no decision in this situation has a perfect outcome. I think my father STILL thinks about his last dog's death, and regrets not having let her go sooner.

I'm sure you're doing the best you can for your dog. Good luck finding peace in knowing that your decision was based on love.

Mary