BC Boards

Coloring?

My darling husband shocked me the other day and presented me with a beautiful border collie puppy.

Kit is a blk/white white factored female out of a pretty traditional marked dam and a white splash coated male. Both black and white.

My question is about her coloring.

Any ideas???

post-9072-1224706675_thumb.jpg

post-9072-1224706703_thumb.jpg

post-9072-1224706720_thumb.jpg

post-9072-1224706761_thumb.jpg

post-9072-1224706773_thumb.jpg

From the pic of the whole dog, she looks to be a regular BLK/WHT

Some times the undercoat can be a bit lighter in pups. or it could be a lilac or blue. Id wait to pass judgement till she looses her puppy coat and starts to grow in her adult coat some where around 5 to 6 months. Cute pup though, congrats on your new addition, what a sweet and thoughtful gesture from your DH.

I'm not sure what you're asking. She looks black and white to me. If she looks like a softer/lighter/greyer version of black than she could be carrying a dilute gene that is causing her black to be blue, but it's hard to tell much from your photos.

Try checking out the colors at the Border Collie Museum: blue border collies

There are a couple of pictures of a blue dog next to a regular B&W dog so you can see the contrast. It is possible for two B&W dogs to produce a blue puppy--it means one or both are carrying a dilution gene (I'm not sure you have to have two dilution genes to cause dilute color, but the genes for dilution are recessive).

For a good discussion of canine color genetics (if you're interested), go here.

ETA: She can't be lilac unless she's red/liver with dilution (that is, blue is diluted black and lilac is diluted red/liver).

J.

When I first looked the contrast on my screen was off and I though dark red/chocolate. She could be that from two BW parents too. But adjusting my screen she looks BW. Odin has the blackest adult fur ever and he also had a whitish-buffy puppy undercoat.

My darling husband shocked me the other day and presented me with a beautiful border collie puppy.

what a sweet and thoughtful gesture from your DH.

from Oct 4

Hello!

We are new to the board. I'd like to introduce Peppy!

Denise

Ok, I don't want to be a wet blanket, and I know that you weren't asking about anything other than colouring, but since tons of people read these boards I just wanted to make two points:

1. It's never a good idea to give a puppy as a gift, let alone a surprise gift. Although you and your husband may have been intending to acquire a puppy and the timing was just a surprise, I wouldn't suggest anyone out there make a surprise gift of a dog.

2. I see that you also acquired a new puppy called Peppy in early Oct. That makes two new puppies in the space of three weeks. I wish you the very best and hope that you haven't bitten off more than you can chew! :rolleyes::D

And I hope that you take this reply in the spirit in which it was posted -- that is, educating new or prospective dog owners.

Ailsa

from Oct 4

Ok, I don't want to be a wet blanket, and I know that you weren't asking about anything other than colouring, but since tons of people read these boards I just wanted to make two points:

1. It's never a good idea to give a puppy as a gift, let alone a surprise gift. Although you and your husband may have been intending to acquire a puppy and the timing was just a surprise, I wouldn't suggest anyone out there make a surprise gift of a dog.

2. I see that you also acquired a new puppy called Peppy in early Oct. That makes two new puppies in the space of three weeks. I wish you the very best and hope that you haven't bitten off more than you can chew! :rolleyes::D

And I hope that you take this reply in the spirit in which it was posted -- that is, educating new or prospective dog owners.

Ailsa

Hey Ailsa,

Sure...lol just throw that wet blanket out there. j/k

If you knew my husband you would be shocked that he brought home a pup.

No i'm home all day, and i had to give up my other "hobbies" as i care for my parents who had strokes last year. I've trained multiple dogs at the same time before. Working with the dogs gives me a nice outlet and alot of laughs and some head banging lol.

Right now we are doing basic obedience and other fun stuff.

For Coloring...i wasn't sure about the undercolor as all our blacks have been black to the skin. She also has an orange tinge to it. Friend of mine suggested (after i posted pics to this group)that it might be coming out due to nutritional things as she sheds out her coat, so i wasn't sure.

TIA! Denise