BC Boards

A Cheap Dog Bed

I know there have been a couple threads from people talking about good dog beds. After people advised me to pull sofa cushions on trash day, I started thinking outside the box. Last Saturday, I found a barely used kid's nylon sleeping bag at a yard sale for $3. I don't know what it's stuffed with, but it's really soft and slippery - Buddy LOVES it. It is his lie-down spot of choice now. I'm going to see if I can't find some more similar ones, and keep them in the other bed-spots.

SleepingBag91908.jpg

Mary

Cool idea :D Amazon has some for beds 7.99 that look OK, but $3 is even better and no shipping to boot :D Grady ate the one I got him when he was adopted. I came home to find him in the kennel surrounded by a giant green fluffy cloud! Kinda funny actually :rolleyes: He's now restricted to beach towels until he figures out the beds aren't giant stuff toys.

I've used old sleeping bags....hopefully Buddy doesn't like making 'nests' like my Cricket does :rolleyes: We have some very 'unfluffy' dead sleeping bags now but her crate is beautifully lined with the stuffing!

We have an abundance of beds - cheaply. One of our old neighbors used to work in a hotel, and gave us several old comforters. I picked up a couple yards of fleece (actually, it's cheaper to by the "oversized fleece throws" at Wal-Mart - $3.75 for 70"x50"), fold in half, whipstitch around 2 sides and VOILA! Cheapo dog bed.

I have salvaged comforters by the side of the road, laundered them and done the same. When they are completely smashed, run through the laundry and they fluff back up. My guys (especially the older ones) seem to appreciate fluffy beds as we only have tile in the house. The cat does too.

My neighbors in the previous 2 subdivisions threw out way too much perfectly usable stuff.