BC Boards

100+ lb. food thief

sea4th

ate nearly a whole bottle -- about 90 caps -- of 1200 mg. fish oil. She opened the bottle and scarfed everyone of them up. Now what. What can I expect. Should I start worrying?

BTW, this is not a bc. It's Juta, my caucasian ovcharka, food thief extraordinaire. This is a dog who opens cans with her teeth and sucks out the contents.

BTW, this is not a bc. It's Juta, my caucasian ovcharka, food thief extraordinaire. This is a dog who opens cans with her teeth and sucks out the contents.

:rolleyes: I had a GSD/wolf hybrid who could chew open tin cans. My brother and fellow Jaws fan picked up such a mangled can once and quoted "Seen one eat a rockin' chair once." :D

I hope you don't mind, but I'm inserting a link with a picture of such a beast For the Benefit of the Uninformed Like Me. (who had to google to see what a caucasian ovcharka might be).

Actually the fish oil caps might worry me, because I don't believe Vitamin D is water soluble. So it accumulates in the system. I know Vitamin A in large doses can be toxic, but sorry I don't know about Vitamin D.

:rolleyes: I had a GSD/wolf hybrid who could chew open tin cans. My brother and fellow Jaws fan picked up such a mangled can once and quoted "Seen one eat a rockin' chair once." :D

Amazing, isn't it. I have to hide cans of cat food --- canned anything out of her reach. At the old house, she learned how to open cupboards, so then everything had to go up high, where she's have to figure out that she'd need a chair to get up there.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm inserting a link with a picture of such a beast For the Benefit of the Uninformed Like Me. (who had to google to see what a caucasian ovcharka might be).

Actually, the Rusdog pictures --- I wouldn't take them seriously. They were a couple of big time Russian puppy millers. They were busted a few times and I don't think are up and running anymore. The CO's of theirs are pretty sorry looking.

Here is Juta. I think she's pretty nice looking myself. I real teddy bear (yeh, right)

Juta.jpg

HappySnowGirl.jpg

Juta-burglarsinthesnow.jpg

Actually the fish oil caps might worry me, because I don't believe Vitamin D is water soluble. So it accumulates in the system. I know Vitamin A in large doses can be toxic, but sorry I don't know about Vitamin D.

Thank you tho.

Call the poison control or local e-clinic. Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble vs. water soluble and are thus stored in the body vs. eliminated quickly so high doses can cause issues .

I don't know what the upper safety limits are but looking at my bottle of EFA caps, it sounds like she might have consumed up to 900IU of Vitamin E (saw no D listed on my bottle). I have no idea if there is a safety limit to EFAs either.

You might expect some diarrhea. I'd call Animal Poison Control - wouldn't think that regular poison control would know about toxic doses of vitamins in dogs.

There was a newspaper article about our local E Vet. One patient profile was of an 80 lb lab, who came in, barely able to walk, belly distended, moaning in pain. They did some blood work, gave him something to make him vomit, and up came something like 6 lbs of beef stew. He pranced out of there a couple hours later, tail wagging. The owner's wallet was lighter by about 600 bucks.

Makes me grateful for my dainty darlings.

Hope she's ok.

Ruth n the BC3

ETA - to correct the spelling of wallet. Never heard of a wall-ed.

My NRC guidelines reference says the safe upper limit for EPA+DHA is .34 g times Juta's body weight in kg to the .75th power.

Juta=45.3 kg

45.3^.75=17.46

17.46*.34=5.937g (approximately)

So she's gone over that for sure - even the kid's little fish oil caps have about 200 mg combined. The adult ones we've got have about 500 mg per capsule.

She may have a serious tummyache. But I bet the vet tells you that if there's no vitamins listed, it would just be like she ate a whole bunch of food - just watch for distress and wacky diarrhea that would indicate acute gi issues.

...wacky diarrhea...

Not to make too light of a scary situation, but that is the funniest euphemism I've seen in months. It could easily be a punk band name.

Thanks. Fifteen years of various critter rescue and you start coming up with all kinds of poop euphemisms. Ask me about "Water Butt" - I dare ya!

I hope Juta is okay today!

Ask me about "Water Butt" - I dare ya!

I hope Juta is okay today!

No need to - I already know all about that one, as well as "Nozzle Butt," Water Butt's evil twin.

Also hoping all is well with Juta this afternoon.