BC Boards

Yet another dog food topic?

I'm just curious as to what everyone is feeding their pups and how it is working for them? We currently feed Canidae and I've read of the recent changes made. The whole thing with the semi loose poos and the fact that they poo sometimes 5 times a day makes me think of switching. I mean it's always normal at first and then when they are about done it gets thinner and more runny, and they like to poo, walk 2 feet poo some more, walk and poo some more. (sorry for the graphic image). The vet said they may have the loose poos because they are puppies still. I don't really know. I know the local farm store carries every kind of food you can think of and they special order also. Anyways, I was just thinking of trying something else, but hate to switch foods and have it not work and switch again. Thanks.

Magic had been eating Soild Golds Bark at the Moon, but because I have had troulble getting have recently switch her to Wellness Core.

Note: She ate the Solid Gold well and pooped only twice a day (small firm poops). When I went to switch the food I mixed the to together for transition. Well I can tell which one she preferred. She picked out the Wellness kibble and left the solid gold. She still only poops twice a day and small and firm.

I rotate kibbles between Solid Gold Mmillenia, Innova Evo Red Meat, Wellness Super 5 Lamb, Eagle Pack Holistic Select (lamb or fish varieties), ProPlan Selects Salmon, and Prairie (Beef, Venison, or Lamb varieties).

I switch both of my dogs cold turkey and generally have no problems. The brand of food is generally switched every 1.5 or 3 months.

The bag says for their weight and age you should feed 2-4 cups a day. We feed them 3 cups a day, I think that may be a little much because they don't always eat it all before I take it up. It's also hard to tell unless I sit there and watch them because they like to switch food bowls. They will both eat for awhile, stop and look at eachother then happily walk over to eachothers food bowl and switch. I don't understand it. Neither are aggressive toward eachother or people when eating. I also noticed that the last few days their poos have been completely firm and they are going less often. They just recently got in a better feeding routine so maybe that's all it was.

I also read a link someone posted the other day about the recent switch in Canidaes' formula. I know our bag now is the old formula. I don't really like the fact that they have Gluten in it now and that the fish is not Herring meal anymore but rather Fish meal that is from unknown origin. If I'm not mistaken isn't Gluten one of the "stay away from it" ingredients?

The bag says for their weight and age you should feed 2-4 cups a day. We feed them 3 cups a day, I think that may be a little much because they don't always eat it all before I take it up. It's also hard to tell unless I sit there and watch them because they like to switch food bowls. They will both eat for awhile, stop and look at eachother then happily walk over to eachothers food bowl and switch. I don't understand it. Neither are aggressive toward eachother or people when eating. I also noticed that the last few days their poos have been completely firm and they are going less often. They just recently got in a better feeding routine so maybe that's all it was.

Great that they switch bowls like that :D so co-operative!

Also really good that they seem to have settled into their food. I think the norm is what you describe (2 x day, firm and easy to pick up :rolleyes: ).

Ailsa

P.S. Good luck with the spaying tomorrow! They'll be just fine.

I have fed just about everything everyones listed and my dogs liked some better but, did pretty well on all. With Core they were looking for extra carbs (should be read as table surfed). I switch my dogs cold turkey most of the time. Occ they change brands each bag. They do fine. I'm about to try Waltham. Currenlty eating Chicken soup.

At the rescue the dogs eat vet diets of Royal canin and Purina they do get loose with a bag that surprises us with corn. The pups eat science diet lamb and rice because it's more similar to what they ate at the shelter and I have actually fed a finicky puppy puppy chow first who didnt want dry food.

They all love canidae but, I'm not sure we have gotten any with the changed formula.

I think any of the high quality food are good. The rescued dogs look 100 Times better in 2 weeks of our food. Their coats even begin to shine.

They lose or gain weight as needed.

Odin is on Canidae, and we are very happy with it (poos easy to pick up, about 3X a day but seems to be naturally going down from an original of 5X a day when we first got him). We liked it so much compared to his puppy food that we switched our cats to Felidae. Although, I may look for another brand when we finish our current bag as we also have the old formula still. Do not like the idea of unknown fish meal.

We also "tried" Nutro Max lamb and rice for several days when visiting our in-laws (what their dobie Margie eats). Odin thinks Margie's the coolest, so obviously her food was the thing to have. They also free-feed, so it was kind of hard to stick to our schedule. His poops were the size of a whole other puppy, after that food.

ooky

+Odin (BC pup), Dr. Benway (ocicat) and Lobo (bengal)