BC Boards

Deciphering Pedigree

Was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about any of the dogs on Jade's pedigree... I recognize Marc Christopher and that's about it. Is there a resource somewhere online that has records of these animals? I figure knowing the lines and dogs is part of learning about the breed and getting into herding :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

(would this be better suited on one of the herding-focused pages?)

post-8519-1214856876_thumb.jpg

I'm not a pedigree junkie by any means, but it's clear your dog is line bred back to Nyle Sealine's Moss (and Jill) on the sire's side (Moss appears three out of four times at the great great grandsire level). You'll also note that Taz' parents are half-siblings (same dam, Jill). The only dog I recognize on the dam's side is Wilson's Roy, who is quite well known. Maybe Becca or someone else who studies pedigrees can give you more information.

Here is a link to a page that has some information on Nyle and his dogs. You are in Iowa, so it may be worth your while to try and catch up with Nyle at the fair and see if he can give you some insight into his dogs and breeding program. ETA: Oops, now that I actually went back and read the page, I see the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival has already passed, but you still might be able to contact Nyle and talk to him about your dog.

J.

I knew Barb Bennett's Ben well - lovely dog. He and his son Ben is the sire of many very nice working dogs. Ben's 3 legged after losing a leg working cattle. Sealine's Jill was smokin' on the trial field locally and an awesome ranch dog. I will never forget how lovely it was to watch her and her son Flint bring in 800 head of brood cows and calves. They were the epitomy of control, power, and style.

Sealine's Moss was a son of Lewis Pulfer's famous Dell. He won his first open trial at 14 months of age. He sired my Dad's Aggie - 5 times National Cattledog Top 20 Finalist - and was a significant part of the pedigree of Laura Hick's awesome Zac. His litter brother sired Dodie Green's Soot.

Chris-Don died in an accident quite young. He only sired a few litters.

Nyle's a neat guy. He actually ran and placed in the original World Trial held here in the US. Raymond McPherson remembered him when we chatted at the Bluegrass one year, and said "aye, he had fine dogs".

That was compliment that you could brag on!

The only dog I recognize on the dam's side is Wilson's Roy, who is quite well known.

Roy is my dog's grandsire, but on my Taz's pedigree, he is listed by his ABC number. That seems weird, that he'd be listed with his original ISDS number on some pedigrees but his ABC number on others. I mean, I guess he was registered with both registries, but I don't see the point in registering him with the ABCA if he was already registered with the ISDS?

So, based on her pedigree, (and I know blood doesn't count for everything) how does Jade stack up for herding? Probably a silly question but was just wondering...

So, based on her pedigree, (and I know blood doesn't count for everything) how does Jade stack up for herding? Probably a silly question but was just wondering...

Same as any other dog. That is - you'll know when your work her - and the more your work her, and the higher the requirements, the more you'll know. She has some unknown dogs in her pedigree (unknown being exactly that - they might be great, they might not) and some wonderful ones. Who's genes she got, and in what order, is something no one can really predict.

I have a half (well, actually 3/4) sister and brother to Taz that are just 2 - same sire, dam is related to Mikki. I like them a lot right now. We'll see where it ends up. (I'll still like them regardless, but I meant what I said about time and work telling all)

I knew Barb Bennett's Ben well - lovely dog

Ben's sire, Jim Battles' Nap, threw a lot of really nice cow and sheep dogs. Ray Coapman's Sally, 1999 National Nursery Champion, is a Nap daughter.

Amy

Roy is my dog's grandsire, but on my Taz's pedigree, he is listed by his ABC number. That seems weird, that he'd be listed with his original ISDS number on some pedigrees but his ABC number on others. I mean, I guess he was registered with both registries, but I don't see the point in registering him with the ABCA if he was already registered with the ISDS?

I don't know about the question regarding registering with ABCA when already registered with ISDS, but I did notice that on the pedigree above, he's listed to Florence Wilson and on my Kat's pedigree he's listed to Tommy Wilson. Maybe there was an official transfer from Florence to Tommy at which time he was ABCA registered? Just a completely wild guess....

J.

I don't know about the question regarding registering with ABCA when already registered with ISDS, but I did notice that on the pedigree above, he's listed to Florence Wilson and on my Kat's pedigree he's listed to Tommy Wilson. Maybe there was an official transfer from Florence to Tommy at which time he was ABCA registered? Just a completely wild guess....

J.

Hmm. Yeah, I just checked, and he's listed to Tommy on Taz's, too. Your hypothesis certainly sounds plausible...

Does anyone know if Nyle Sealine is still breeding dogs?

Also, I've been trying to look up dogs on OFA's website from Jade's pedigree (in relation to this CHD thing I'm trying to figure out for Jade) and I don't seem to be finding anything. Either I'm doing something wrong, or the dogs just aren't in there. Could that be right?

still breeding, yes.

I doubt there are OFA numbers on any of those dogs. Frankly, OFA means little to many serious farmers and ranchers who also breed. They let work prove the dogs, and frankly...it works. Most of the dogs I know in that pedigree were still working sound and *hard* well past 10 years.

I've OFAd a number of dogs related to yours on the sire side and never seen a bad set of hips. Most of those type breeders would say I've wasted my money. I will continue to do so until we have something better, but reality bites and they just may be right. OFA is just a clinical "opinion", and what counts is longevity of quality, sound, working life.

Its a catch 22.

I thought you had said that her hips looked fine at this stage?

Even if there were OFA numbers it doesn't mean much, other than "that" particular dog had hips that looked good at that time. With the imports in her pedigree I doubt you will find anything on the OFA site. Were you able to find her sire & dam on the site?

Added information. Kathy Oliver's Black Jack was fairly famous in the Chicago area in the late 80's. His son, Mitch, is the sire of Linda (Hirsch) Meyers' Meech who was second or third in the 99 nursery finals in Virginia to Ray Copeman's Sally. Meech is very famous in the midwest. All dogs are quite far back in the pedigree though.