BC Boards

Chuckit elbow?

Anyone know what to do about this? I'm assuming it's the effect of too much ball-tossing. The elbow (and shoulder) have been feeling a bit stiff & sore for a few weeks, and today it's pretty painful. Don't know what else it could be.

I've tried switching to my other arm to give this one a rest, but I'm less accurate with that one and tend to bounce the balls off trees, under piles, or sometimes even over the neirgbors' fences. And besides, what if I get both elbows hurting?

I can see the news, "man hit with chuck-it ball after man uses other arm to throw it" :rolleyes: Ok, maybe that's just me because I almost hit someone with it one time when I used my left hand.

If you are pretty confident that the pain is Chuck-it related, you will want to stop immediately and find an alternative. Soft tissue injuries (i.e. tennis elbow/golfer's elbow/bowler's elbow etc.) are generally forms of tendonitis that will not improve unless the area is rested adequately (often will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks).

I've had it, it's painful, and only resting that elbow (no chuck-it) solved my problem. I expect it may have been in conjunction with some other problem as I have been able to resume the chuck-it without issues but, increased use of that arm (as in kayaking) results in some discomfort.

I'm careful, throw carefully, and do fine in general with it and don't have residual pain unless I overwork the elbow greatly. I should practice left-handed but, like you, the results are pretty funny to watch. However, practice should improve that if I were to apply myself to it.

Best wishes!

Yes, it is chuck-it related!

I have had it, blisters and callouses on my hands and various and sundry other injuries. :rolleyes:

It's a good indication, for me anyway, that I'm doing too much ball-throwing and not enough other stuff. For Skye its been really good to play with her "sans" ball -- she's much more social with other dogs that way.

Ailsa

My elbow was hurting so bad I had to switch as well. I have gotten better with the other arm, still not as accurate or strong, but that's ok. Just keep using your other arm, and you'll improve.

The next thing to do is to use your alternate arm/hand for everything that you can. Open doors, lift packages, lift a drinking glass or cup of coffee strictly with your non dominate hand. The ice/heat routine is very helpful, as are anti inflammatories. A good massage feels good and increases circulation, which aids healing.

It still takes a long time for tendon/ligament strain to heal, so be patient. Re-injury is common, so be cautious as well.

Good luck.

Ruth n the BC3

Got this from tugging with my 39 lb tug monster. Stretchy tug ("Cowabungee") is much less of a problem than a non-stretchy rope tug.

Similarly, I get less joint irritation from underhand chucking than overhand chucking. You might try that (once you recover).

I think the best answer was Ailsa's: too much chucking means you need to be doing more of other things with your dog.

A friend of mine advised me to get the chuck-it jr (shorter stick) as it tended not to have some much tension or w/e on the elbow, etc. as it flexed. Can still easily reach the ball on the ground. Might want to try that after you adequately heal up. Try other throwing devices while ye heal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Though since a lot of them are along the lines of "too much chucking means you need to be doing more of other things with your dog", that brings up another question: how do I convince HER of that? She doesn't seem interested in things like tug ropes. She'll do 3-cornered ball-tossing (which I can do just fine with my off hand), but I need the neighbor kid for that. Hiking and so on we do, but it's not something we can just do for a few minutes when I feel like a break.

I was wondering, though, if anyone knows of some sort of ball launcher? Something more or less like a crossbow (instead of the atlatl-like Chuckit), that you could pull back slowly?

LOL - never actually had pain, maybe just overdeveloped upper arm muscles in my right :D But the best way to learn to Chuck-It with the left is to use a camera with your right - after about 1000 pictures you will get the hang of it :rolleyes::D :D