BC Boards

NC Get Together - Official Invite!

Hey Nancy - my girlfriend Sandy is probably going to bring her DH (who I like a lot) and I'm still trying to con my man into coming. Oh, no, I meant convince. :rolleyes: Also, a friend on another board is coming, and likely bringing her guy - so your Chuck will be in good guy company it seems.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey don't forget Patrick! :D

Okay, I need a vote - should I rent a Porta-jon? Yea or nay? Advantage: convenient, otherwise it's about 300 yards to the house from where we usually are. It's not been a problem in the past I don't think, but we've always lucked out on weather, too. Disadvantage: I hate Porta-jons when it's hot. I think we need not go into details on that point! :rolleyes:

Temps look like they won't be too bad, in the mid-eighties, but it's early yet. Cross your fingers!

Going up to the house has been fine with me.

Then again, I was a bicycle racer back in the old days (1980s). At time trials or road races, our "facilities" were - The guys go over that way. You women can go over behind that shed.

Becca,

I think the deciding factor would be the cost of a porta-jon and whether you care about having people tromping through your house to go to the bathroom. I'm fine with walking to the house, but I'd understand if you'd rather have outside facilities closer to where we'll be congregating. It's really up to what's easier/better for you.

J.

Ive been known to pee behind a tree if the need arises, but I think Julie's right, its what ever you decide is best for you. Just point me in the right direction, and thats where I'll.....er......go.

I wouldn't recommend the old fashioned method, for sure. The Lockharts have sharp eyes and they are always keeping an eye up this way. Seriously. We lost a duck last week down at the pond (looks like maybe a turtle got her?), and we had both Lockharts up here to tattle on Laura, whom they had seen down at the pond with her dogs. I was there with Laura but they thought maybe I had turned my back for a second and the dogs got the duck. Um, not so much. We of course explained that Laura's dogs were the last dogs on the place to get in trouble, plus the duck was already long dead when we got down there.

Anyway, didn't mean to run on like that. So, the house is okay then. I have no problem with tromping if no one else minds tromping. :rolleyes:

Well, since they are our landlords I can't complain too much - that's certainly the worst thing about them. They hop to it if anything goes wrong and he's really nice about minor delays in rent payment caused by or living 100 miles from our bank! They are nice and all, but they really wish that we were fabulously wealthy so we could pay for landscapers and the most expensive fencing available, and didn't actually live here (but, you know, still paid rent). Boyd's favorite admonition is "Yuh know this is a show place. I'm a deacon in the church!" He's very cute.

Is anyone coming from Charlotte or near Rock Hill? I've got someone who is interested in carpooling up.

Hi, I live in Charlotte and would LOVE to have come with Cody, but unfortunately we are out of town this weekend, at a family reunion. This event sounds way way more fun! Enjoy!

Well, if you all miss out, there might be another chance in the fall - two possibly. If, ahem, it's okay with AKDD's host and she has time, we might throw her a bash so she can meet the eastern half of the NC/VA crowd.

Then in November, it's not official yet, but we might have a clinic here the second weekend. The clinics are open to anyone, including just folks who want to come up and hang out.

And of course we love casual visitors anytime!

Update: The weather looks excellent. There are showers predicted for the area for that afternoon, but weather does have a tendency to go around us usually. The temps look perfect. The pond and forgathering areas are mowed. There's fish jumping if you are into fishing - bring your pole and gear!

The lambs are all wormed, feet trimmed, and feelin' fine. Most of the ewes I was hoping to offer for work will be sidelined - for those who don't know yet, I sprained my wrist pretty badly shearing and we only got half the flock done - and most of those are the nursing mothers. The whole shearing project this year has just been plagued with one thing after another! Anyway, there's plenty of lambs though they are somewhat challenging to work! For baby dogs there are a few ewes that play nice, that we can work.

I sure hope that AKDD won't be here only within September 22 through October 3.

I have booked flights and rooms then to take my 2 adult daughters and my 6-year-old granddaughter to Kaunas, Lithuania - via Dublin. I took my mother (at 87) there in 2000 - and she died the next December. All her family, except for her sisters and their kids, are over there.

The only other thing I have for sure in the fall is the election. I'm Democratic Judge in our precinct. So November 4 is out.

I can guarantee you we won't have the clinic on Election Day, Nancy! :D

Okay, so today's update. Please don't look at my house while you go in to use the facilities. The boys have been really wonderful in helping me but there's only so many hours in the day and some of the tasks are new to the little guys, like folding laundry and washing dishes. I'm keeping up with vacuuming and I'll make sure the bathrooms are nice but I can't guarantee the beds will be made or the toys picked up! Or dishes all washed, it looks like, either. The guys are a little overwhelmed.

We've made sure the outside is nice and everything, so just pretend it's lovely and company clean inside. :rolleyes:

My mother always talked about how her mother, my grandmother, worked in the linen mills all day but always had the floors clean enough to eat from.

Sorry. My goal was to make sure that the table was that clean. Floors are for feet. I did not allow anyone to eat on my floors except the dog and the cats.

And bicycle racing taught me focus. As I've said, we never had anything that would count as "facilities". I can walk through a parking lot or down a narrow road full of cars with people changing into or out of lycra - and I can carry on conversations - but I don't see anything right or left. Heck, even my adult kids can still do that. So I can get to the toilet without seeing any other part of the house or even the bathroom.

BTW, what rule applies:

(1) If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down.

(2) Flush every time.

In our neighborhood, even guests follow rule 1. We're on Durham City water and want to be sure we can have a glass of water with our pills. Well, we are also old.

Lol. Number 2 applies - I mean, rule number two, not function number two. We have had plenty of water and our spring was quite well supplied all winter.

Chuck has decided to stay here and make a new chili recipe around refurbishing a computer for one of our neihbors so she can give it to a friend.

The whities are made and the spinach-ricotta pie goes in the oven after breakfast. I'm taking a new route and hope to get there ~11 or a bit later.

My weather forcast just says cloudy. Chance of thunderstorms late.

We are still on - rain is supposed to be spotty until tonight which means, generally that it will go around us. I'm actually kind of miffed - I've got fertilizer put down and I need the rain! But, it's welcome to hold off until tonight!

I think we will have several picture takers, plus I'll be trying to get some of my own if I can (I'm usually too busy, but this time there's not a lot I can do so I may as well take pictures!).

Becca and Patrick, ( and boys, I know you helped your mom and dad get ready for today..good job!)

thank you SO much for hosting this wonderful get together. It was our first time at this annual event, and i have to say, we had a fantastic time! We visited with friends and even met some new ones, had great food, the company was wonderful and all in all just a grand time.! Our furry kidlets are exhausted from having so much fun! Thank you again for all the work ya'll did to make this one grand day! We can't wait till the next one now :-)

with kind regards

Carson, Donna, Tuff, Jade, Scott, Dottie, and Lad, oh and Martha too!

I think Laura was glad not to take any home, so you did her a favor!

We were very happy to see everyone and please y'all don't wait for an official event to come play. I gets wery lonesome here in the wilds of Person Country.

Wow, Patrick was so jazzed about the whole thing that he was talking about having a fun trial or mini-novice trial or something. I was like, "Whoa. How about we just get some more fencing up!"