BC Boards

How Has Your Border Collie Changed Your Life?

Our first kept us from becoming *too* overweight for 18 years with all the activities we had to do to keep him happy. Now with #2 my husband has started herding lessons, and we're looking at buying some acreage out in the country also. There will obviously have to be a #3 for me to take herding lessons with in the future. So from reading some of the responses above, we're on our way to follow in some of your footsteps. I see no way around it now....

Cool stories. I really enjoy reading all of them.

I've learned to carry baggies with me everywhere I go.

I go outside more than I have in my entire life.

I paid $1000 for training, vet, and supplies in the first 3 months we had her.. (we're starting on month number 4)

Our cat lets us know he doesnt approve by, meowing constantly, attacking her ect... :eek:

Never bought so much cream cheese and P. Butter for kongs.

Thats all I can think of atm

I used to be so lazy. When I was still in school all I did was eat, sleep, party and drink with friends, sleep, and maybe if I had some time left over I would study.

But after getting my first BC, no more afternoon naps, alot less partying and more outdoor stuff. I used to watch at least 2 movies every day, plus all the shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, animal planet.

Fortunately there where 2 changes, I started working after college and got a BC. So it's now work all day, then come home to a dog desperetly in need of running and chasing. So off to the park we go, for at least an hour and a half. Then go home, feed them, and finally when you want to go to sleep, here comes the ball for some more catch.

Anyway, I think that my BC's have changed my life a lot, I get out more and of course all the laughing from all the stupid stuff they do, all their wierd sleeping positions, the weird faces, the ocasional "it wasn't me" look.

So here I am now with 2 wonderfull BC's

What has changed in my life? Let?s see?

Annie serves to keep my mind off of the constant strain in my life. Playing with her keeps me from thinking about my work pileup, the projects that need to be done, the pains in my body (I have reached the age where what doesn?t hurt, doesn?t work), or the bills that have yet to be paid. Everyone needs that window of opportunity to escape from the hassles of daily life, and Annie helps.

No matter how bad a day I?ve had, there is always the pleasant prospect of being greeted when I get home of a Border Collie joyously proclaiming, ?Daddy?s home!?

With my sons moved out of the house, having a dog restores a sense of daily purpose and routine every morning.

Talking to my dog allows me to open up without being judged.

When I feel bad, there will always be someone to console me.

I can no longer walk in a straight line; with Annie?s habit of weaving back and forth, I look like a drunk walking down the sidewalk.

I have made many new friends along the route that we take our walks, both adults and children. And the kids don?t view me as the grumpy old man from the next block, but rather as the nice old man who talks to them and lets them pet his dog.

I have resumed the use of the lacrosse stick I used in college (not to date myself, but it is actually made of wood), in order to gain more distance when throwing a ball. (I do not use tennis balls due to the possibility of damaging the dog?s teeth, and the inflatable rubber balls I use will not fit in a Chuck-It.)

I walk a lot more than I used to. As a result, my blood pressure has dropped 20 points, and I am in better health than I was 10 or 20 years ago.

There is a sheet over the top of the bedspread now, so that Annie can sleep on the bed with me until DW comes to bed. (I get up very early to go to work, so DW is usually up after I retire.)

There is a crate in the bedroom, which does nothing to enhance the d?cor.

There are toys of various types spread throughout the house.

My reflexes have improved, in response to Annie?s jumping into my arms every time there is a loud noise.

I have become an expert dog groomer, as Annie has to be groomed every day.

And the list could go on and on?

I think I've gotten lazier around the house since I got my BC! He wants to do everything for me. He learns by imitation and is a huge help around the house. If I have my arms full, he opens doors for me. If I'm doing something and the phone rings, he finds it and brings it to me. If I am watching TV and I need the remote, he will find it and bring it to me. He knows the difference between the remote for the satellite, the remote for the television itself and the remote for the DVD player. He'll also get me a pillow or blanket if I want one. Hell, this dog will even put his dish in the sink when he's done. All of this required only minimal training - he catches on so easily.

I have a Papillon who likes to drag shoes all over the house and hide them. If I find one shoe and show it to my BC, he will scour the house for its match. Even if he makes a mistake and brings me 2-3 shoes before he gets the right one, he is a huge help.

Outside the house, he's helped me become a lot more active. I go to the park every couple of days for a good run with the dog. I find myself on my bike more and more often to keep him in shape. I can now jog for a couple of miles without needing to stop. It's not uncommon for me to spend 2-3 hours in the pool swimming laps with him.

He keeps me company. I know, all dogs keep people company - my Papillon does too, but there is something special about my BC. He's always there. If I go in the bathroom, he guards the door. If I go to bed, he turns off his serious "energizer bunny" personality and turns into a big mushy pillow. I sleep with him right next to me every night. I feel like I can talk to him and he'll understand. The communication between us is amazing, sometimes he seems to know what I want him to do before I even ask him to do it.

Not to mention that our house will never have disorganized tennis balls sitting around it again! We now have small piles of them in every room.

I have been totally spoiled by this dog and I'll never be without one again.

Well, Cherokee made me realize the need to protect the breed and the need to spay and neuter EVERYTHING!!!

Spot - He is my walking partner, we are rural and I figure when I go walk by the creek/tree's it is better to have a 4 legged furry friend with me, to "scare" off any animal attackers. Which is kinda funny because spot has feathers and when the pigions flew out of the hay barn he took off for higher ground and left me standing there. So basically, I talk to Spotty as I walk/jog so I make noise and make the wildlife leave. Even though I am the only person down by the creek I would feel funny talking to myself.

Liane: It's really nothing more than object discrimination. I used a clicker to shape the recognition and response to certain objects, and the recognition of certain sounds (eventually making a connection between the phone's ring and the retrieve command, and then fading the command. The hardest part of it all was to teach him that sometimes it's okay to put certain things in his mouth!

If you want details on it, PM me (don't want to clog up this lovely topic!).

I didn't know that Evvie was a BC when I got her. I just wanted a dog and she was free and cute. I didn't know anything about BCs. Luckily, my active lifestyle suited her perfectly, so we didn't have any problems there. She has been through so much with me and has taught me a lot about myself. I didn't even know what a BC was when I got her, but I am now deeply in love with the breed. She is the love of my life.

I am more human because of my dogs. They've made me a better person. I know I have something important waiting for me at home which is better than anything else that may be occupying my time at the present. We don't do agility, or herd sheep (tried it once), or take long hikes in the mountains (at least not recently), but when I call them to come in when I get home (if they aren't already charging the door to get in), no matter what mood I'm in, it's made better by seeing them. And if Kate takes a little too long in coming out of her crate in the garage (her favorite resting place outside), I worry and go to get her. She just looks at me sheepishly as if to say, "sorry mom, but these old legs don't move as fast as they used to!" - then alleviates all my worries by being Beckham with a soccer ball!