BC Boards

BC Picnic in NC?

Hey, are we having a second annual BC picnic in NC?

I went to my semi-retired hairdresser (because she has a husband, 2 kids under 6, 2 dogs, and about 4 cats) and got my annual haircut. So I got to play with her daughter and toss the eternal tennis ball with her border collie along the way. Hey, how many times do you get a styling that includes border collie action?

But she would love to join our picnic gang. So, if we have a summer picnic, I want to get her the details.

You all are welcome here. It's awfully pretty, there's plenty of "safe" running around space, lots of shade and lawn area to hang out, not to mention the big pond. Plus TWO picnic tables and two swingie thingies. Oodles of camping room. And a very lenient landlord, lol.

We are located about twenty minutes SE of Danville, VA, about thirty minutes north of north Durham, and an hour NE of Greensboro.

Wow, that sounds fun. Are whackey BC's(kept on leash) invited? Would we be camping? and would it be before the weather get's too hot?

Probably summer would be better - last year there was a pause in the competitive activities around mid-summer that was convenient for most of us. It's very shady, breezy, and the pond is very convenient for human and canine swimmers both.

There's also hotels nearby if camping's not your thing. Roxboro (15 min towards Durham) has a couple hotels, Yanceyville (15 min towards Greensboro) has one, and Danville has just about everything you could want.

If anyone is interested, we could have a little fun trial in the morning while it's cool.

Of course! Come one, come all, but we have to figure out the most convenient time.

By the way, somewhat off topic, but I've got an informal commitment from Jack for Jan/Feb next year. Maybe being further "down east" it won't be so cold. :rolleyes: I'll get a firm date soon since I know a lot of people fill their calendars pretty fast.

The Poudrier B&B is about half an hour from Becca's for those who would rather sleep in a bed rather than in a tent. Can't say I won't put you to work feeding sheep or chickens, but there is a bed and a private bath to go with it (the only catch--the upstairs is the cat area, so if you're allergic, you might want to pass).

I would also prefer that it be in summer when trialing has slowed a bit (or at least after Dr. Ben's in May). Beyond that I'm pretty open!

J.

Julie - How soon do I need to make my "reservation" if Rebecca has a clinic in the fall? Lisa's hoping to come, too!

At the risk of losing my "slot" (if I'm welcome back, that is), Julie is a great hostess and doing chores with her is fun. I got to count and lock up the bantams. I don't know that she'd trust me with anything more challenging. I must admit she did let me help with chores over at "the other place". That involved chasing some chickens. Do I see a trend here?

Again, thanks, Julie!

Sue,

You are welcome any time (and Lisa too)--I'll even be sure not to have the "incredible shrinking mattress" set out for her. :rolleyes:

Oh and in the interest of full disclosure, I should say that the second B in the B&B doesn't really exist at my house (except for the animals), but there is a little grill that serves a great breakfast, and it happens to be on the way to Becca's!

By fall, I should even have some "puppy sheep" ready for your working pleasure (as opposed to those wild things I have now, crafty little devils that they are).

But the chicken counting still needs to be done!

Rebecca,

I was wondering when you mentioned Jack as tentative for early next year if that meant that there won't be a fall clinic?

J.

No fall clinic - it's better this way anyway, won't be as rushed. We've got a ton of fencing to do, bleah.

I'm in...will be camping though. Gotta try out the new tent sometime...but first try will be at Dr. Ben's I imagine.

Anyhoo - how about sometime in the beginning of June? I think I threw out that date before because the trials are winding down due to the hot weather.

Would June 10th work? I would also love to partake in some sort of fun trial!!!

Becca - your thoughts on a date?

June 10 is out for me. That's our Komen Race for the Cure. There may be 5 of us this year with "Maiden, Mother, Crone" T-shirts.

I'm also trying to get DH to go to his 45th high school reunion in Massachusetts on June 24, 25, & 26. And I intend to fo with him.

But that's only one human and one dog. So if either of those is best for the rest of you, I'll be there in spirit.

The earlier in the warmer months for me the better. I will see if my daughter and her BC girl, Amica (Phoenix's litter mate and best dog buddy), would want to come also. We would most likely camp . But just in case, do the motels allow dogs?

Maybe Amica can help keep her wacky brother in line! Ha Ha!