BC Boards

Petsmart training

Poke and I signed up for the begginers class at Petsmart to work on his lack of socialization before we got him and to get him into class mode before we try our hand at agility classes in the fall. (I can barely wait!) Has anyone taken Petsmart classes? What did you like or dislike?

Hi,

It depends. That's like asking a question about a salon for your haircut. There are good haircutters and mediocre ones at the hair salon.

Cody and I have successfully completed Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced group Obedience training at a local Petsmart, all with the same trainer. We started when he was about 4-1/2 months old. Jenni, the trainer, happens to be very experienced with Border Collies in particular, and runs a local rescue for them. Others on this board that live in the Charlotte, NC area also know Jenni and think highly of her. Jenni lives and breathes dogs (she has six of her own) and has trained service dogs (one being her personal one) and does a lot of training outside of Petsmart.

Petsmart has very strict procedures for their trainers about what to cover, etc. They generally focus on positive reinforcement with the dogs and I think the classes are great, they don't really encourage alot of interaction between the dogs at all, which I also think is good. Focus on work and not play at the classes.

Cody (who's almost two years old now) and I have been taking one-on-one private lessons at Petsmart with Jenni, focusing now on behavior vs. obedience. And five sessions have made an amazing difference already.

I say go for it. It's relatively inexpensive, it gets your pup used to being around other dogs and starting to "work" for and with you, and it's fun! I had my now-13-year old daughter part of all this as well and it's been great mother-daughter time for us.

I haven't taken their classes, but I've been in the stores and seen their "training ring." It is tiny. I'm not sure how many dogs are in a class, but if it more than two or three I'm not sure how they manage it.

The training ring is tiny, and there are distractions all around from passers-by, that is definitely a negative. But alot of times you are asked to bring your puppy or dog out into the aisles for the practicing and also for the trainer to walk around more and visit with each person and their dog for a few minutes one-on-one. Out of a 45 minute class, about half of it is spent outside the "ring".

It will depend on the trainer you get as to how your/and you dogs experience will be. As they are based out of PHX and thats where all the big wigs are at, you may get lucky and get a decent one. Though, as a whole, alot of the trainers there dont have much experience. I managed a Pet Smart ( groom shop) for 2 yrs back in 92. I was part of the management team, and there fore had to be ( according to my boss) in on everything, no matter how miuch Id rather have been at my table grooming, and saw the program first hand,as well as the requirements that a trainer must have, which at the time were few. Some even came out of the fish department, took a book and a video, studied them for a couple of weeks, took a test, and bam! They were a dog trainer. Perhaps things have changed by now, but I dont know. They are always having them come and go. Talk to the trainer first, the one you will be working with, and see what credentials they have. Find out too, if you will be taking classes with the same person everytime.

Faith and I did the beginners class at the Myrtle Beach Petsmart. :D I liked our regular trainer. Even though I already knew how to teach the dog to perform the behaviors, it was good for me to have another pair of eyes and someone to make suggestions. It was great for Faith to get off the farm and see the sights of the big city. :rolleyes:

A couple of times our trainer was out though and we had a substitute who probably was recruited from the fish dept. :D So if I were you I'd go watch a couple of classes before I paid my money.

We had one awesome trainer at PETCO and one not so great. I watched a class at Petsmart (nice enclosed sound proof training room) and it had to be one of the most boring classes I have ever seen. And there was a cute BC pup in the class so it was very hard for me not to wait for the BCs owner and say find a new trainer!

Barb S

I've taken 2. Beginner then 4 weeks of Classes/Private Classes toward our Intermediate Cert. Even though she basically knew everything that was taught in the Beginner class, like Painted_Ponies said, it was nice to have another pair of eyes to help correct any little mistakes.

It all depend on the TRAINER. The only thing that would make me go back to Petsmart for training is if I could get my old trainer back.

For me the pros: Finding a good trainer. If you can find a good trainer it makes the whole time worth while.

Cons:

1.Ring size - sometimes the trainer can't deal with 12 people/dogs so it gets really crazy at times.

2.Too many distractions for teaching a new pup for my liking (from smells to people sticking their hands over into the ring and trying to pet your dog).

3.You don't know WHAT kind of dogs are going to be in there (i've had dogs in my class that were really aggressive to Lizzie, and others that were her best friend) - just in my time their, 2-3 fights broke out between dogs.

How could any single trainer deal with 12 dog/handler teams? At our classes (an AKC affiliate club with classes manned by volunteers, offering puppy, family dog, agility, and competition classes), we try to have one instructor or assistant for every three to four dogs/pups. If we don't have enough help, the classes are reduced to that size (booked with four dog/handlers per person, but often absences result in only three per person).

While having some distractions is a plus in terms of socialization and dogs/handlers learning to deal with distractions, the class setting and spectators alone can provide more than enough stimulation for some dogs. Having people passing by and sticking their heads or hands into the class area is too much, I think.

When we have any dog that is a concern (reactive, overly active, too stimulated, etc.), that dog/handler team is given extra room (often outside the large training area) and extra assistance. We screen class applicants with a form (but some folks are not, shall we say, completely forthright about their problems) and reserve the right to not allow any dog or handler to participate in class, for the benefit and/or safety of all concerned.

I've seen some of these tiny "training areas" - they might be fine for single dogs or a few easy dogs, but don't offer much room for anything else. I'd think that "out of the ring" time would be a nice variation and a good exercise.

As has been said, it is the quality of the trainer and the dedication of the handler that will make the experience worthwhile or not. I would certainly observe some classes before making any financial commitment, or before placing myself and my dog in that situation.

Best wishes!

Poke is not a 100% pup. He is about a year old now and he has learned to listen and learn. I know I could teach him these things outside of a class, but I want him to learn to be in a class and learn. I am worried if we do not "practice" class before we sign up for agility class it will be hard for him to focus with other dogs learning at the same time. He knows most of the begginer commands (I am looking forward to someone helping me with heel- he walks in heel always in the house... but outside is a different story) and hopefully the firmiliar commands will help him ease into the correct mind set.

When we got Poke he was extreamly reactive to cars- pretty much anything noisy, and people. While things have gotten much better - he has gotten very good at leave it- he is still intially scared by new noises and people. He is not bad with dogs, but like many Bc's he likes his Ceana and the JRT next door, and a few other dogs, but doesn't want to be everbody's best friend. The class is 8 weeks for 109 so even if we only get socialization out of it i think it will be worth it. Especially with the warm weather approaching (dogs at the dog park will start becoming fewer and far between), socialization and being "outside" is going to get harder.

I guess we will see how it goes, we start tomorrow.

I have never taken a PetSmart class, but have watched some. The quality of the intruction depends entirely on the instructor. I know two of them here, and they are ok. ONe of our stores is older and just has a tiny fenced off area in the middle of the store. I would never take a class there, no matter who is teaching it. The newer store has the soundproofed "room" and is a much larger area. It looks fine if class size is limited, and I have never seen too many dogs in there at this particular PetSmart. The cost of the classes there is on a par with our best private training schools with CPDT instuctors. The training clubs here have lower cost classes, and one of them is good. I have never actually spoken to anyone who has taken classes at the stores, so don't have a student's eye view of them. One thing to watch for if you have a sensitive Border Collie is whether the teaching is correction based. One of our dogs CANNOT be given corrections, even mild ones. If she makes a mistake, you just have to start over patiently. Never be afraid to tell an instructor that you will not do a particular thing with your dog. You are in charge of your dog and know your dog best. If you are ever told to squirt your dog in the face wioth water, or give leash pops on a chain collar, and you have a soft Border Collie (or any other dog), refuse to do it. And if an instructor is really bad, withdraw from the class.

Kathy Robbins

I have taken a Petsmart class before. It's basic manners. Your dog learns how to sit, stay, leave it, come, etc.. In fact, I liked the trainer so much when she quit and went to work for the Humane Society I took Bailey just to socialize her. She was a positive trainer, didn't use choke chains, taught with the clicker and it was a good experience.

Good luck!!

We had our first training class last night! So far I have a really good feeling about this. Poke can do a lot of tricks, but he is incredibly reactive to movement and noise as well as still pretty timid when it comes to meeting new dogs and people. LOL one person remarked that he seemed pretty advanced to be in a begginers class until he had a melt down! ( Melt down is the only way I can describe his desperate vocal attempt to control everyone and everything in the training area) I smiled and said "see, this is why we are here." One squirt of the water bottle and Poke just stopped. LOL I am buying a water bottle today. After the trainer squirted another dog Poke gave her this look like "It was you! How could you have done that to me!"

There are only four dogs in the class so that is nice. Poke did well, and after our walk home we played a few more of his homework focus games and he did great. Ceana got to play the games at home as well, lol she can catch onto something incredibly fast. She had it down before Poke! If only we could tame her snarkiness!

I do not like the Petsmart training classes. I would never take a class there nor would I ever recommend it. There's no consistency in the trainers... you're lucky if you end up with a decent trainer. The ring is too small. which is asking for trouble, especially with reactive dogs. The trainers that I've come in contact with at Petsmart only now the basic ABCs, but if they are confront with a dog that requires XYZ, they often do not know how to properly handle that dog.

I do not like the Petsmart training classes. I would never take a class there nor would I ever recommend it. There's no consistency in the trainers... you're lucky if you end up with a decent trainer. The ring is too small. which is asking for trouble, especially with reactive dogs. The trainers that I've come in contact with at Petsmart only now the basic ABCs, but if they are confront with a dog that requires XYZ, they often do not know how to properly handle that dog.

We're using SuperDogs Central in Bowmanville, ON. They are very experienced with BC's. Its pricey, but worth it. We hope to work up to agility and flyball. Tonight is graduation for the beginners classes!