BC Boards

female bc growth chart

I think growth charts are more for conformation -oriented interests. Border collies not only come in a wide variety of appearances, but sizes as well. There is no "standard" as far as size goes, so a growth chart wouldn't do you any good anyway. My bitches as adults range from 29 lbs. to 44 lbs., and neither is fat. If growth charts were important in monitoring border collies, I have been freaking with my tiniest bitch.

The best thing I can suggest is familiarity with the lines your pup is from so you have an idea what to expect with as your pup develops---physically and mentally.

Growth charts can lead to trouble. Some say a dog should weigh so much by such and such age and people will go by that rather then by what THEIR dog needs.

Because all BCs are so different (some are 15 pounds, some are 60) there are no real growth charts for these dogs. Like Vicki said, for conformation dogs they do probably have them - but they could be so out of whack for any non-show bred dog it wouldn't do much good.

In general, a lot of growing goes on between 1 month and 6 months. Then it slows down a bit until about a year, then growing stops for the most part but some "filling out" may still be going on and fur growing (on rough coated dogs) until 2 years. As for specific weights, there are none.

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, but I just don't think you can find a good one for these dogs...

ok thanks since Andy came from the pound and we are pretty sure she has a lot of BC, without having seen her parents we wanted to get a good idea of what she would be like as an adult....

she is between 4 and 5 months mos and weighs about 20 lbs...next week we go to the vet for her first visit...I guess we will just have to wait and see ...thanks for the input...

i forgot, here is Andy's page;

www.dogster.com/?444784

we rescued her from a local shelter 2 weeks ago and know nothing about her parents.

she looks and acts BC--has her quirks...barking at mylar balloons lately, got over the music box and piano...

she has been making many trips to petstmart and petco to socialize as well as a local dog park.

she is about 41/2 months old and is just a smart cookie...knows some basics--sit stay down paw and working on potty training......... she has been growing quickly just got a bigger crate for her today..in the last two weeks she has outgrown the smaller crate already..

vet visit soon .... very exciting.

Originally posted by andy2006:

ok thanks since Andy came from the pound and we are pretty sure she has a lot of BC, without having seen her parents we wanted to get a good idea of what she would be like as an adult....

she is between 4 and 5 months mos and weighs about 20 lbs...next week we go to the vet for her first visit...I guess we will just have to wait and see ...thanks for the input...

If it helps, my pup is 25 lbs at 4 1/2 months. His breeder tells me that the males in his background (father, grandfather, etc.) were about 45 lbs as adults, so I expect him to be about that size when he's grown. Your pup is roughly the same age and smaller (females usually are).

I hope this gives you a general idea.

My little dwarf pup is only 15 lbs at around 5 months old. And he's a male! Size does vary greatly in border collies, and in Alex's case, I think he had a really poor start to life, so he's behind as far as physical growth.

What I've heard, and found to be true for my own dogs, is that you can double the weight that the dog is at 4 months, and that will be their adult weight.

So, Andy could end up around 40 lbs as an adult. Right in the middle of the (broad) weight spectrum for border collies.

I just don't put much stock in the weight/growth chart theory when it comes to this breed. There is just such a wide variety of sizes-etc in BC's.

Case in Point:

The man that I got popcorn from, said he would not go over 35 lbs as his parents were about that. Last time that I weighed him(2 months ago) he was at 37 lbs! He is already well past that! I think he is going to be a big husky boy. :rolleyes:

PS

Pepper is about 40lbs too.

What I've heard, and found to be true for my own dogs, is that you can double the weight that the dog is at 4 months, and that will be their adult weight.
If that held true for all, Paige should weigh around 46 pounds. (23 pounds at 4 months) She's 30! She didn't grow very much after 6 months old.

My Aussie, Boomer, was 23 pounds when I got him at 4 1/2 months, and his lean adult weight is 52 pounds. He's 22 1/2" at the withers. He put on some weight at 7 years, and is currently on a diet, to his disgust. We're dieting together, but he's almost back at his goal weight while I've still got a lot to lose. :rolleyes:

It worked perfectly for all my BCs. They were super skinny puppies and as adults are a skinny working weight. The double the weight thing doesn't work for chubby pups that grow too fast. I also think it is not as accurate if the BC is neutered.

Boy, each dog sure is different. Our Allie is currently 19 mos. old and weighs about 30 lbs. and is approx. 19 inches tall. Everyone thinks she is too skinny, but she is very healthy, eats 2 to 2 1/2 cups of good quality kibble & fresh veg./meat a day. Good luck with your pup!