BC Boards

teeth cleaning for dogs?

I've had my fair share of dogs and my response was- well, the teeth go with the dogs......Now, I am learning more about health and such and have a few questions. When my dogs were older, I just didn't want to knock them out at 14+ years for a good set of chops, but with Bailey, I'm not too sure of her age and her vet appointment approaches. I'm considering ........well, WTH? If we have to knock her out for something, lets do the whole works.

Question is------------how much is this going to cost me? Believe me I Love my dogs, and have put MY dental problems aside before theirs, but...has anyone had major dental work done on their dogs? and what was the price? Just trying to get a small estimate so I don't need a diaper when the vet gives me a call- thanks.

Depends on the vet and what needs to be done. About $150 to $300 for a cleaning (including anesthesia and BW) and more if teeth need to be pulled. I think I have paid about $400 to $500 for dentals with a tooth extraction. I had a foster who was older and needed a bunch taken out (was left with less than half her teeth), her bill was over $1000.

I will confess that I don't have all my dogs done once a year. One dog is 6 and has never had a cleaning, but she chews bones all day and her teeth look great. One of my dogs, however, does need annual dentals because he is not a chewer. He MUST be done at a hospital with a board certified anesthesiologist because he has seizures.

Try letting them chew on knuckle bones for a week or so and see if that helps their teeth. It worked for Chesney and Tucker when they were younger before I started them on raw. :rolleyes: I don't blame you for not wanting to knock them out at 14+ I don't like thinking about if I ever had to knock Chesney out and he is only 3!

As far as cost goes I know our Sheltie I grew up with had to go in and get a tooth pulled (her face was swollen because of the infection, back when my parents and I didn't know any better about dogs teeth!) and it was somewhere in the 600 dollar range with meds and all. This was maybe 10 years ago...

Thanks Liz, at least I have a "ruff" estimate and adopting this dog has cost me a lot more than I bit off more than I could chew- excuse the puns- couldn't resist. Even her front teeth look awful, so that's what MasterCard was invented for. Isn't it? I will confess I have NEVER had my dogs teeth done- any of them. By the time my old dogs needed dental work, I was too afraid for them to be knocked out. When Miss Lacey died, her teeth were awful at 17 1/2. I want to do things right this time.

Try letting them chew on knuckle bones for a week or so and see if that helps their teeth.

I must have been posting same time as you- LOL.

My heart dog Miss Lacey had an exposed nerve I never noticed, until I took her to the vet. He said, "Wow- that must have hurt like Hell". I felt so bad, either a kick by a steer or something, she never complained and I never noticed. I like cow hooves (until they get small) dental chews from petco or petsmart- whatever, and none of these dogs have seen a knuckle bone- I haven't seen one since I raised cattle! It sure would be a treat to us all. Thanks ev1.

Dianne

Wick had her teeth done last year. For the whole thing (anesthesia, work-up prior to anesthesia, tooth cleaning) it was $300. We went during Dental Health month so it was a bit cheaper than usual. Wick had a lot of tartar and redness on the gum line (yes, she does get a raw bone once a week). Even when she was on a raw diet, her teeth were pretty bad.

I try to brush their teeth every night, but in reality, it works out to about twice a week. I suspect Lou will have to get his teeth cleaned next. He's got a lot of tartar on the canines, and the gums are starting to get a bit red. Bear, of course, has perfect teeth. A little stumpy from all those years of chewing bones, but very clean! :rolleyes:

I've had one of my dog's teeth cleaned once. That was Sammie. His teeth were just as bad after they were cleaned as they were beforehand.

Maddie's vet recommended a cleaning last year, but I was reluctant, so I tried changing her diet to half raw. It seemed to do the trick. Her teeth are almost perfectly white now and her gums look much better.

Speedy's teeth are pretty good, and he's been eating raw for a couple of years now. I'm hoping that it will never be an issue for Dean since his teeth are still very nice an he eats raw.

I do brush their teeth, but only about once a month.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying to anyone to ditch their vet's recommendation!

I must have been posting same time as you- LOL.

My heart dog Miss Lacey had an exposed nerve I never noticed, until I took her to the vet. He said, "Wow- that must have hurt like Hell". I felt so bad, either a kick by a steer or something, she never complained and I never noticed. I like cow hooves (until they get small) dental chews from petco or petsmart- whatever, and none of these dogs have seen a knuckle bone- I haven't seen one since I raised cattle! It sure would be a treat to us all. Thanks ev1.

Dianne

Ouch! I thought they were just going to have them cleaned :D Hope Lacy's tooth feels better soon. I can imagine that would hurt a lot!

Wick had her teeth done last year. For the whole thing (anesthesia, work-up prior to anesthesia, tooth cleaning) it was $300. We went during Dental Health month so it was a bit cheaper than usual. Wick had a lot of tartar and redness on the gum line (yes, she does get a raw bone once a week). Even when she was on a raw diet, her teeth were pretty bad.

I try to brush their teeth every night, but in reality, it works out to about twice a week. I suspect Lou will have to get his teeth cleaned next. He's got a lot of tartar on the canines, and the gums are starting to get a bit red. Bear, of course, has perfect teeth. A little stumpy from all those years of chewing bones, but very clean! :D

I guess some dogs (like people) are luckier than others when it comes to having good teeth :rolleyes: Chesney's for the most part are pretty clean except for the very top of his canines that are a little tartery.

We had Meg's teeth done last year when I had her bone xrays done to see if there was anything we needed to take into consideration. I will probably do this again this year. Meg doesn't eat raw, she eats high quality canned dog food for the most part. She isn't a fan of having her teeth brushed so that happens about once every week and a half or so. Not the best report card for us I know. Anesthesia, xrays and teeth cleaning were about 450 together.

Sara's had her teeth cleaned @ every 18 mos. since she was @ 7 - the last time she was 14, no problem. My late cocker also had hers cleaned every yr or so until her heart disease made anethesia dangerous. Usually a cleaning w/bw costs around $125. My cats cost a little less - yes, they also have their teeth cleaned, usually starting around 7-9 yrs old. Very few of my pets have lost their teeth - and I credit that to dental cleanings.

We're about to find out -- February is doggie dental month, and our puppy mill girl, Belle, had AWFUL teeth (and the death breath that goes with them, yum!). The vet has been twitching to get his hands on her since she first opened her mouth in his presence. I suspect it's gonna be way more than a couple hundred, even with the specials. But her gums just look painful. Can't have that. she's had a hard enough life as it is!

DSCN2362.jpg

I'm hesitant to ever do this w/ Misty. My sister had two Maltese (the mother and sister of my dog, Tabitha), she took them to get their teeth cleaned, and not long afterwards, they died. Now, it was found afterwards that they had heart murmurs, and should have had antibiotics, and then w/ them being so small, the tube going down their throats, I believe did some damage also. With that said, I'm not sure I would ever take that chance. I would rather, just brush their teeth w/ the doggy dental essentials, they sell now adays rather than take the risk.

wow-

A big decision. I think my vet and I will have a long talk about this. She has a lot of blood work to be done because of her thyroid, so..maybe he will be able to tell more after that. Thank you all.