BC Boards

New 5 week old worried!! HELP!!

hpjoe2001

Many of the best breeders don't even have websites. In fact, it's pretty hard to find what I'd call a "normal" working Border Collie breeder online. Hard, but not impossible, mind you. But if you do find such a breeder, if one were a novice to the breed, it would look much less professional (and reassuring) than the [working breeders]. ETA: I mean the commercial breeder's websites look more professional than that of the working breeders. Got confused with my negatives - thanks to Laura, next post, for pointing this boo-boo out!

The commercial breeders tend to have lots of pretty pictures of puppies, information about the breed, possibly even talk of health testing and contracts. Some of them even have pictures of pups from their kennels in their new homes, doing agility, obedience, flyball, etc, along with testimonials from satisfied customers. All geared to appeal to our little consumerist hearts.

The working breeder on the other hand, tends to focus on their farm, the work their dogs do, any trial accomplishments, the pedigrees of the dogs, the stock the operation raises. And then, "Oh by the way, we're planning to breed Fly to So-and-So in fall of 2008."

I'm not saying if a working breeder has any of the first, that de facto classes them with the commercial operations. This is just why the working breeder will never make much of a footprint on the internet. Which is fine - the best place to meet them is the place the public has always met them - at the competitions.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the best breeders don't even have websites. In fact, it's pretty hard to find what I'd call a "normal" working Border Collie breeder online. Hard, but not impossible, mind you. But if you do find such a breeder, if one were a novice to the breed, it would look much less professional (and reassuring) than the working breeders.

I'm pretty sure Becca meant commercial breeders here--the working breeders tend to have the least flashy websites, but that's because they aren't so into "marketing" their pups to impress people. Their dogs' accomplishments working stock is what is most impressive.

Uh, ooops. Yeah, that's what I meant. I have been a bit hurried with lambign!

I went back and clarified that, though I didn't change it, so your post will still make sense, Laura. :rolleyes: