BC Boards

Very disappointed

Today we went on a picnic, it was semi nice day, although it turned really cold.

Riven escaped out of the garage today and she ran off into the yard. Completely ignored us, so I in turn ignored her and went back into the house. My husband was packing up the car, and here she comes when she realized I wasnt gonna chase her. She jumped right into the car. That kinda grated on me that she knew better, but how was I to punish it? She came back. :D

We packed up all our stuff and headed to the park. Riven looked like she had to pee, and acted really wierd, pacing in the back seat. We let it slide cause we thought she had to pee. And she did, when we stopped to let her.

We got to the park, put up our grill (which isnt working right grr) We tied her up to the bench so she could run around where we were, but still be under supervision. The lead she was on was probably only 5 feet. So, we put on the retractable, and it extended just a bit. It got REALLLLLY cold, so we packed everything back up and decided to play with her a bit before goin home. We wanted to show off how good of a dog she is, how well she listens, blah blah...

We walk out into the grass and she repeatedly about pulled my arm off... jerking to the end of the leash and just acting aloof (sp?) :mad: . NOT at all like our girl. We put the really long lead on her so we could play ball, let her run a bit, and get the stupid out of her. Instead, she ran in circles around us, we threw balls for her, she ignored them, and was more interested ina blade of grass than us playin with her :mad: . Im so completely disappointed in her right now. :rolleyes: Im just venting basically.

On the way to the car I had to literally stop, bend down and say "NO" while lookin her in the eye cause she was tryin to pull me to the car. Then she heeled all the way there. I couldnt stand out there and stop every time she pulled. That technique doesnt work with her. Especailly today.

Our good dog, trained blah blah.. just turned into a jerk that wont listen today. She knew when we got in the car we were upset, as I made lay down in the back seat. Now she's being all submissive and acting all hurt or something. We didnt hit her or yell or anything dont get the wrong idea, but I was stern with her. She wouldnt listen and lay down. I raised my voice and looked her in the eye and said "DOWN". SHe laid there and didnt get up.

Im just so disappointed in her. I cant believe she acted like this. Now that we're home she's acting fine. At home she loves to get balls and chew and jump and chase. Ive never had to be so stern with her. I just dont understand it. All I know is Im so dam upset. :mad:

I understand your frustration. I think all of

my dogs have been total jerks from time to time.

It's so out of character when they are normally

so obedient. It does make you crazy. Hopefully

she will be back to normal tomorrow.

Yup. As I have an almost 1 yr. old BC and a 13 yr. old kid, I can tell you -- teenager is the answer. There is no rhyme or reason. It just is.

Her behavior may change from day to day, good days and bad. Just hang in there and be consistent with your training and commands. She will learn (and grow up) and you will miss the teenager - believe it or not. :rolleyes:

I took a nap and she spent the entire time loving on me and sleeping with me, so it's hard staying mad at her, I don't want anyone to get me wrong I love her to death I just can't believe she acted like that I never in my head coordinated teenager with her I've always thought of her as an adult, so that makes sense to me, makes it a little easier to deal with what she did. Thanks for all your replies

Yep, I've had days like that. Pain in the arse! That's why I say crates are for moms and dads... on days when you just want to pull your hair out, it's time for a time-out. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry she was misbehaving... hopefully next time she'll be a perfect angel!

Well we have training in the morning, so hopefully she's gotten all the stupid out. lol I'd love to have a crate but my husband is against them. :rolleyes:

She had been to the park before, and she was horrible the first time before training. Then even since she was wonderful. Except today. lol

Oh, do try to persuade your husband that crates are a great thing for dogs. I wish now I'd taken a pic yesterday of my girl sacked out in her crate. We were at an agility/obedience/flyball demo all day, and every time she finished, she headed straight for her crate - could hardly wait for me to get the door open. By the afternoon, when she went in she would be sound asleep on her nice comfy mat. When we get somewhere where I'm setting the crate up (collapsible wire crate) she can hardly wait for it to be ready for her.

My male is not so besotted with crates, but he'll still go in happily - into a range of crates/tents. I don't use them at home - but I did when they were little. And it's a lovely option to have.

Oh, and I agree - teenager - the good thing is that teenage in dogs doesn't last as long as teenage in humans!

I'll tell you - my husband HATED the idea of a crate. He argued with me for a month about it, until Zeeke ate our couch while we were out. He still only bought it under duress, he was sure it was going to be a horrible thing. When we set it up Zeeke ran in it before we had it fully done. (And it only took a minute.) yesterday I had to close his crate for half the day because he puked in it and DH was being a bit lazy in cleaning it. When DH finally went to clean the crate out and opened it, Zeeke spent the entire time trying to shove his way past DH into the crate! You should have seen the look of relief when he finally was allowed in it. I can't say every dog reacts like him - Zoe wasn't as enthusiastic, but she still sleeps in her crate when it's open and goes in very willingly.

I love my crates. :rolleyes: They take up a huge amount of room in our bedroom, but they are life savers!!

Hey Zook, glad to hear that she's charmed you over again. :rolleyes:

Even dogs have their bad days. It's not necessarily a reflection on you though. She is young, so she's going to have more "bad days" than a mature dog. Just be diligent in her training (don't excuse such behavior or let her get away with it) and you'll be fine. :D

p.s. I was never much of a crate person but one persuasive argument is that they help prepare a dog for boarding or overnight vet visits.

If you throw a blanket over it then it can also double as furniture or a toybox. :rolleyes:

There really are a million handy uses for a crate. I have used mine for managing Boy's food aggression, to keep the dogs seperate when Fynne first came (I used it extensively with her), as a "time out" place when either gets into trouble, and occasionally as a place for hubby when he gets on my nerves.

Look at it this way, you've had a lot of time with the angel, gotten to know her before the teenage devil. Meg, started behaving 'teenaged' about a month ago and I have seven months to go before her teenage hormones hit her.

They (the sea of literature) DO warn us....but it IS hard to believe.

Smileyzookie -

My dog just turned 7, and she still acts up every once and a while. I give Missy the "what were you thinking" voice and look, and she gets the "oops, sorry" look. I'm just glad that the way she acts up is not chewing the furniture or something like that!

Don't take it personally. Things are new, diiferent, exciting, or all of the above. Often as a shelter dog gets to feel comfortable in their new home they will test you a bit more as well. Just be firm and fair with what you expect from her.

And tell your husband that my dog LOVES her crate. There is no way I would have a BC without a crate!

Yerg - teenage mammals, whatever the species, who'd have 'em? :D:rolleyes:

LOL about crates and husbands. I used to show Irish Wolfhounds with a lady who'd stick her two hyperactive toddlers into IW crates on occasion. She thought of it as just a really secure playpen to use while she stood right there grooming dogs - but spectators were generally horrified and management at several show grounds told her she had to stop. :D

She is testing you. And you did not let her get away with it (too much anyway).

Regardless of age, at some point in training dogs decide that they will test you - you just have to be strong! It will pass.

....lady who'd stick her two hyperactive toddlers into IW crates on occasion.
Well that is plenty of room for a kid! IW are HUGE!!! The crates are probobly bigger then a kid playpen anyway. :rolleyes:

I used to show Irish Wolfhounds with a lady who'd stick her two hyperactive toddlers into IW crates on occasion. She thought of it as just a really secure playpen to use while she stood right there grooming dogs - but spectators were generally horrified and management at several show grounds told her she had to stop. :rolleyes:
LOL! Now that's my kind of lady.

We went to training today. We discussed everything in detail with the trainer. Riven did wonderfully today. She was introduced in a controlled situation to another dog. She went ape and barked and pulled at the leash, but after about 3 minutes of this dog ignoring her, and DH and I and the trainer ignoring her, she decided she was bored and laid down. Then, we got nervey and a down stay and she was great. GREAT:D The trainer feels she acts stupid when she's nervous.

There were 2 other dogs off leash clear across the park, and she feels that was what got her nervous. Even though we didnt feel like she was paying attention to them. The trainer said when she gets nervous she reverts back to what she knew, and until she gets her wits about her, she will act stupid. She reminded us that we've only had her about 3 months, and we dont know anything really about how she was trained or what she was allowed to get away with previously. So, at a stressful situation she'll automatically go back to what she used to do. I hope that makes sense. Its hard to explain lol

BTW, I think my husband doesnt want a crate cause he thinks I'll stick him in it :eek: :D

My idea for luring my husband into a crate,

- move the computer into a crate

- put in a glass of root beer

- ask him to take out the trash, mow the lawn, any other chores :rolleyes::D