BC Boards

Tennis balls - Strong v Weak ones

Hi all, Another odd question for you all here.

I have just bought my two BC`s a new tennis ball for playing inside with.

This lasted exactly 10 minutes before being totally distroyed, yet I have others that are in good order ( they play the same games with all)

My question therefore is, Do we know of a manufacturer thats makes the better ones, there are no names on the ones that I have here so I cat work out what not to buy.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, coz i`m just throwing my money away here !!!!!!.

Thanks

Rich.

Hi Rich!

You're going to get a lot of replies on how tennis balls wear down your dogs teeth, true to some extent, but our 13 and 1/2 year old Blaze-a tennis ball fanatic his whole life, still has pretty good teeth. We don't let him play with dirty tennis balls (they wash in the washing machine) and find that brand names last the longest. (I buy them used in 3 dozen lots on ebay.) My friend gets them used from a tennis club. The ones from the pet food warehouses last about 10 minutes!

Barb S

Thanks for your reply, yes i had heard the the teeth subject elsewhere, my old GSD was fine at 16yrs old . To be honest i`d rather it be tennis balls than the gravel or stones in my garden anyday !!!!!. You were correct btw was a pet warehouse place i went to today, just stocking up on food. I wasnt sure if the balls designed for tennis were better than ones for dogs ( if such a thing exists ??)

Thanks anyways.

Rich

The "doggy" tennis balls break in half within 5-10 mins of BC play. Regular tennis balls (almost) never break. I try to offer my dog rubber balls (from Petsmart - $1-2/each), which are less abrasive on the teeth and last a long time, or smooth road hockey balls. However, he prefers regular tennis balls to anything in the world.

Guest SweetJordan

Though not a tennis ball I've found the plant dog balls stand up really well, and they bounce really nice too. Though you may not consider the plant dog balls to be an indoor ball. Riley only plays w/ hers inside. She's weird. She loves to play ball but only in the house. Outside it has to frisbee despite the fact that she walks around w/ the ball in her mouth all day. And don't think it's because we don't play frisbee in the house as well because we do.

Stormy only gets excited about tennis balls because he knows if someone throws one another dog might chase it and he'll get to chase the dog. Inside the house he'll play with stuffed toys and tuggy toys. Outside... haven't gotten him to respond to any toys.

Lori

My ACDS destroy any tennis ball. The dog ones with one bite and the name brands in one session. My BC doesnt even get the chance.

The best balls are made by the people who make the easy glider floating frisbee. They are almost indestructible, float well on water and are very light and can be thrown a long way with a ball thrower.

My older ACD loves destroying tennis balls and it has taken a little time for her to accept this ball but with no other options she is starting to warm to the idea. My other ACD and BC have no problem with it

Guest SweetJordan
What are plant dog balls? Where do you get them?

Barb S

They are the ones made by Orbee. I got Riley's locally, but sitstay.com has them. Not only do they bounce nice, but the dog can squish them. Riley destroyed all her other balls, but this one still looks like new some two months later.

The best balls are made by the people who make the easy glider floating frisbee. They are almost indestructible, float well on water and are very light and can be thrown a long way with a ball thrower.

This immediately caught my attention, so I had to research what you were talking about. Here they are: Fantastic Foam Balls. As it happens, I just ordered one of these from Jeffers, so we'll see if it gets the same glowing review from my crew.

Speaking of glowing, we have entered the time of year when thrown objects are constantly getting lost in the dark and/or snow. This winter, I am testing various luminscent replacements to see if we can get a bit more longevity out of our outdoor toys. I selected this one to evaluate first, figuring that if three of us couldn't find it within 25 seconds of impact then we probably deserved to lose it: Powser Flash N Dash

Nykie always destroy tennis balls, but I bought a container of racquet balls at Walmart back when Nykie was still a puppy and they are still in good condition. The dogs love them since they are lightweight and bounce so well. She has yet to break through them. Just another option. :rolleyes:

This is one subject I have considered all too much. While I'm currently working my way through a case of Penns (which are prefectly good), I am always happy to find a lost Wilson US Open. I swear that I can get an extra few yards out of them with the chuck-it and they're very, very durable. I'm sure they are more expensive, but I'll probably treat myself next time I am in market for a new case.

My fetch crazy dogs don't get to play with tennis balls as chew toys...for the very reason you mention--they don't stand up to being chewed....In case you didn't see the post on Chinese made dog toys, the label on the doggie tennis balls are lead heavy and deemed unsafe for dogs by vets. I stick to real tennis balls (made elsewhere and crossing fingers are lead free) and use other lead free chew toys for their chewing fun. Cheers!

Here they are: Fantastic Foam Balls. As it happens, I just ordered one of these from Jeffers, so we'll see if it gets the same glowing review from my crew.

Yes those are the ones, the only balls so far to survive the strong jaws of my ACDS. The ball is full of teeth marks but doesnt become waterlogged either. We have had it so far for 6 months.

Charlie is sooooooooo ball obsessed. I got him this "dog toy rubber ball" just cause... anyways I'm afraid it will nock out his teeth... or put a hole in my wall. Char likes to catch, so I pretty much put that ball to rest. I didn't know tennis balls were bad for them though? What problems can they cause?

I like to buy lacrosse balls for my dogs. They're made of hard rubber, last forever, and bounce really well. They are hard though, so I throw them so the dogs have to get them off the ground and don't catch them. Kong squeeky balls are a big hit here, too. We also have a planet dog ball that I like, but it rolled into a far part of one of my sheep pastures and I keep forgetting to retrieve it when I'm out there because it's so far from the gate.

Emily

Guest SweetJordan
Was that PLANET, nor plant ball? We had one of those when they first came out. The dogs ripped the continents off in no time.

Barb S

Yes, just a typo. They have all different kinds, and only one of the balls has the continents.

I love the Kong squeeky balls. Black Jack loves them and he's always chewing on them. They seem to last a fair amount of time for the money.

Wow thanks all for your inputs, didnt think I would get that many.

I will order some `named`balls and see how we go, the toys and balls have to be fairly soft for indoor use for obvious reasons, I have some kongs which they love for outside playing. Will keep you posted on how it goes with the new ones.

Thanks again all, much appreciated.

Rich

Our vet counseled us against tennis balls, indicating that the silica content might (not would) wear on the enamel of the teeth. To play it safe, we use soft inflated "squeaky" balls, which we buy in 4-packs; they seem to last for a reasonable amount of time, and we discard them as soon as we see any breaks in the surface. They are also great for throwing with a lacrosse stick, as Annie can catch them in mid-air without exposure to damaging her teeth.