BC Boards

Needed: Photos of known Border Collie mixes

Hi all,

I'm the chair for the 2006 BCSA Rescue Fund Benefit, to be held in October--last year the Benefit raised over $3000 for Border Collie rescue.

As one of the fundraising games for the Benefit, I would like to post photos of known mixes and have people buy "chances" at guessing the breeds. I got the idea from Find the Pit Bull .

I want to make it pretty hard, concentrating mainly on Border Collie and other herding breed mixes, smooth and rough coats, all different colors and patterns, dogs that look like purebred of a particular breed, but are really a mix of two totally different breeds, etc. I'm mainly interested in photos of adult dogs with herding breed ancestry (or who might fool people into believing they have herding ancestry) rather than deliberate toy mixes like Puggles, Shih-poos, etc.

Please send any and all photos to me at k9shrink@prodigy.net. Please identify each photo clearly with the known mix of the dog. Please do not send any photos where you are making an educated guess as to the breed. I need to know 100% what the parents were in order to use the photo for the fundraiser.

After the fundraiser, I may put up a page on my website so that people who adopt a mixed breed might get some ideas as to what mix their dog could be. I volunteer at the local shelter, and always wished I could find a page like this to possibly help in identifying unknown mixes that come in.

Thanks,

Columbia, MO

Oh, cool. I would be interested in seeing the finished project, if you do put it up on your website. I'm still trying to figure out my Jack!

You might post this on the rescue board, too. I know there's a couple of known mixes over there.

Hey guys,

I just checked my Inbox and already have five dogs, all different BC mixes. Yay! I have to say that I wouldn't have guessed any of them. Good stumpers!

Please keep 'em coming and let any of your friends know that might want to send photos. I know there are some great spaniel mixes out there that could pass for BCs and BC mixes that could pass for spaniels! I'd like to get at least 20 photos to use for the contest.

Does anybody know anyone with a dog from Hanging Tree lines? I have seen some of their dogs at cow trials that are deliberate mixes of ACD, BC, and even pit bull. That would be a good one to include.

Columbia, MO

P.S. By the way, it just occured to me that if you have an unusual looking purebred BC, that might be fun to put in the contest too as a ringer! (For instance: tail docked, unusual color or pattern, unusual earset, really HUGE or tiny, etc.) Maybe I should post this on the thread about Strangest Guess About What Breed Your Dog Is!

Julie,

Freeway is adorable! Do you have any bigger photo of him that you could e-mail me for the contest?

Mrs. Palmer,

I saw a photo of a kelpie on a motorcycle in Australia in National Geographic years ago. I had the photo on my wall for years. I loved the size/shape/physique, but nobody I met had ever heard of them and they weren't in any breed books--even "rare breed" books.

So I decided to get a "blue heeler" instead, which I saw in a photo with an actress/owner, and also in the movie The Road Warrior--it looked almost like a Kelpie. (Terrible way to choose a breed, but I was 18 years old!) That one ALSO didn't exist in any of the books. It took me another four years before I found out the real name was "Australian Cattle Dog" and got one of my own. I just saw my first Kelpie last year, about 20 years after I saw that National Geo photo!

Sharon

Does anybody know anyone with a dog from Hanging Tree lines?
There are Hangin' Tree Aussies (Gary Ericsson sold the rights to the use of that name/bloodline in Aussies some years ago, if I rememer correctly, when he sold off his Aussies), Hangin' Tree Border Collies (he breeds for slick-coated dogs), and the Hangin' Tree Cowdog (which is what I assume you are looking for).

If you do a web search on "Hangin' Tree Cowdog", you will find several owners/breeders who have this dog. I expect you could contact one or more of them to get permission to use photos for your contest. There are some slick, merle, largely self-colored (no significant white markings), bob-tailed Hangin' Tree Cowdogs (whose background is 3/8 to 1/2 Border Collie) and I don't expect anyone would guess they are almost half Border Collie. I think most folks would guess Catahoula or Kelpie at best. Gary's dog, Gunney, would be a great contest "poster boy".

Best wishes.

Paula,

Donna's red dog in the photo is a purebred BC, of course! I'm sure she was thinking it might be fun to throw a red purebred into the batch of mixes and leave people guessing if they are TOTALLY sure whether she is a purebred or possibly a mix (Brittany & Aussie...?)... Or maybe with the Irish Terrier in the background, people might incorrectly guess she's part IT...?

Sharon

Originally posted by PSmitty:

Donna, what's her mix?

:rolleyes::D:D

oops! i should perhaps have written that!

i posted her pic cos colombia MO had mentioned possibly looking for some unusual pure bc's.

and as my whirly goo is tiny/red/smooth i thought she may be a good example. i used the pic with erin the irish terrier so you can see how ickle she is.

out of interest the most common 'mistake' by people is to ask if she has springer spaniel in her! most other people simply ask what mix she is :D

laurie, can i have danger please? thankyou very much

Foos Human,

Maybe after the contest in Oct., when I post the photos on my website with their IDs... you'll be able to figure out what Sydney might be a cross of. I'm hoping this will be a good resource for people who would like to compare their BC mix to known mixes.

I'm now up to about 20 photos of known mixes, but keep 'em coming! Some are super easy to guess, but most I never would have guessed right myself. No wonder most Humane Societies fall back on the ol' "Lab mix" for any dog that looks black-ish and has short hair.

Thanks!

Sharon

You know there is a book....

I don't remember what it is called though - something about mutts in the title. It has pictures of known mixes in it, some border collie mixes. Things like golden/bc, terrier bc. etc. The whole book is about the "mutt". Pretty cool book, I will see if I can find it online.....

OK, that didn't take to long. It is called "The Underdog: A Celebration of Mutts"

I am looking in my book now... It has a BC/chow, bc/spaniel, and golden/bc (with pictures and discriptions for each one.

It has lots of other mixes in it but those are the only BC ones.