BC Boards

Licking Obsession

Guest SweetJordan

Guest SweetJordan

My BC has a licking obsession, she has been like that since I got her. She licks everyone to death. Now I'm use to be licked by a dog and it doesn't bother me one bit. However, she takes it to the extreme and won't stop. I've tried to teach her "no lick." And it works for less then half a sec. before she'll start up again. She's so timid and scares easily so when she's told "no lick," it really has to be in a neutral tone w/o changing voice volume. She is very submissive so I don't think her behavior is too out of the ordinary not that she needs to be doing that or should be. Probably the biggest concern is when people come over esp. non-dog people or the ones who die if they get one lick from a dog. But I don't think that she needs to lick people to death either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh and her licking obsession if you haven't already figured it out from the above is just w/ people.

The excessive licking may be tied in with the very submissive attitude. Canids that are being submissive to higher-ranking members of the pack will lick submissively. Perhaps that is part of the reason for this behavior.

When you are very accepting of her, does the licking decrease at all? Can you give her something "alternative" to do with herself, like chewing a chewie or bone, or playing a game with you?

Can you "ignore" the behavior by turning away or standing up? Will it reduce or stop if you do these sorts of things?

How would you describe the licking? Is it long, slow strokes? Short, rapid strokes? On your hands, face, other bare body parts, or at all on clothing?

I hope someone who is knowledgeable about dog behavior can give you some better advice than I can, and hope they will post with some good suggestions.

Best wishes!

I had a dog like that Migraine- I tried bitter apple and everything. I just had to face it, she was a licker. If I had company over, I just set the bitter apple on the table and she wouldn't lick. She really tried hard NOT to. She knew it wasn't right, but she just couldn't help it. Drove me crazy. I kind of miss it now that she's gone. She used to lick the other dogs, too.

Yeah Ben is getting better at that but sometimes itslike he forgets to stop licking

I am watching TV and he licks at my hand and I kinda forget about it

But then I notice that a v dry tounge is still licking my hand and if I go 'ermm humm' he kinda lookes up at me with his tounge still stuck on my hand, looks a bit guilty (yeah I know dogs dont feel guilt) then he takes his toung back into his mouth

If you try and pet him or put anything infront of his mouth he licks

Its kinda cute - and when it gets too much he has a toy he can go away and lick

And he is v submissive too

Yep mine does it too. He has liked to lick since I got him but I noticed he's been doing it more the last few months. When I'm watching tv he'll come up to me like he wants to lay by me, then start licking away on my arm/hand/face. He loves to give kisses and hug your arm. He's really a sweet heart (when no one is looking)

Oh, doG, welcome to my world! Nick licks everything. And everyone. Kids love it- my friend's grandson loves it that Nick will lick his stomach... or head... or toes... :rolleyes:

And Nick is very happy to be low man on the totem pole. He goes nuts licking my sister's lab's face (he stays away from my sister's cranky-older-than-dirt BC).

I managed to teach Nick, "Back off" by totally ignoring him when the licking got out of hand. Submissive behaviour it may be, but enough is enough. Didn't take him long to figure out excessive licking = no attention. Of course, being a BC, he's connected a bunch of other things to "stop licking!" : I don't need to licked! You're not my boyfriend! and STOP! LOL!

My friend from whom I got Caela and Conner has a beautiful very sweet blonde BC named Lynn. She too has issues with licking. My friend's father was visiting and made a statement something to the effect that ...Lynne just can't "hold her licker"! :rolleyes:

Conner was a licker too...I sure do miss it.

"image001.jpg

I'm wondering, because Migraine was "low woman" on the totem pole in my pack if that had anything to do with it. I see a lot of you mention "submissive dogs" and she was quite submissive. Not only to me, but to the rest of the group. With Migraine if you said "who did that?" she would put her tail between her legs and go hide in the bedroom. I had her since she was a pup, so I know there was no abuse going on. It was just her nature. The other dogs would give a lick on my nose for a kiss and that was it, Usher will start to lick and I'll look at him and he'll still hold his tongue on my hand but stop- it's so funny. I did NOT want another licker. It really never bothered me, it just grossed some non-dog people out.

I love this topic Mac almost a year old is a complusive licker but not of people ....he lick doors walls and his favorite thing is glass! Windows are number 1, every window, french door, and sliding glass door from knee level down have a nice dirty spitty film on them. Neighbors love to come and watch they keep telling me to video him cause it is " SO FUNNY! " yeah unless it's your dirty windows. Sometimes if he tires of his slow sloppy licking he will just sit with his tongue on the glass while he continues to slobber like a fountain. I will admit it is somewhat funny but it drives DH crazy ( clean freak) and it has been very hard to stop.