BC Boards

Electronic Fences

Naps

Hi,

Our Community doesn't permit visible fencing. What do you think about underground electronic fences? We are attached to a wetlands easement that divides us from a 100+ cattle farm-the smells are overwhelming for my herding pups. Yesterday two times one of the pups (while watching them)decided to stick up his nose and venture deeper into the woods and across the creek. Please... offer me some suggestions:-( We always stay with them, but leashing is so... play restrictive :rolleyes:

Kathy

Invisible fencing in something I would NEVER reccommend for dogs left unsupervised because it can be breached so easily and does not protect the dog from other animals coming onto their property, however, if the dogs will be supervised any time they are outside, I might consider it.

BCs can be very prey/chase driven and some will take the shock to engage in the chase of small critters, etc. which means that the fence can be close to useless for some dogs. You know your dogs best, so you're the only one who can weigh the risks and benefits, just be aware of the potential problems. :rolleyes:

I don't use underground but I do use perimeter electric here on my farm. I put it up for the sheep and it's doing a beautiful job on all the dogs to boot. I have one young pup that will take her chances and go under it but I think she's found where she can go under without touching it. Her recall is great so if I see her shimmy under I just call her back and there she comes. The rest of the group won't even go near it. We have cattle right next store with barbwire (now electric too) but in the year and a half I've been here they've all learned you don't go work something unless I tell you to.

I would suspect it depends on the kinda dog you have. Some are natural testers of boundries others are happy with limits.

I also think it'd be fine if like Erin says, you were only going to use it as reforcing for listening while you're out with them.

The older mine get the less they choose to venture out or test anything.

Kristen

Truthfully :rolleyes: I put it in over the summer and haven't had the heart to use it. :D Our dogs are never left along, we have strict regulations where we live, however I still need some advise :D Is this still just a training issue or I'm giving them more freedom then I should? The Problem is with our two BC pups. "Noah" has a new friend "Sonic" He came from a Breeder who owns livestock farm. "Sonic's" prey drive is far greater than "Noah's" but he will follow faithfully blowing me off. :D

If your pups are blowing you off now, it'll just get worse if you don't take action now. I have a dog whose recall is almost nonexistant when it comes to calling her off a chase and it sucks - she's NEVER off leash outside of a fence and it really inhibits the fun we could have on hikes and such; they're fun, but she can't get the benefits of being off lead like my other dog.

My other dog is an 8mo pup and she has a GREAT recall - it gives us so much more freedom. It wasn't that hard to teach, just rewarding for coming when asked and lots of practicing in all sorts of settings, gradually building up in difficulty from iondoors, to familiar places, to woods, etc.

If I were you, I'd be keeping the dog(s) with bad recalls on a long line until the recalls are polished up - you don't want them practicing running off EVER.

Just a note of caution: I know of a dog who started being afraid to go out into his backyard after his owner installed an invisible fence. The fence is now gone; the residual effects linger. :rolleyes:

ETA: I edited to make it clear this dog was affected by an invisible fence, not a "hot wire" fence.

I did that years ago and 2 houses ago. I never used that fence we put in. But I had to use the above ground electric fence here for the stock.

Mick my main working partner was tangled up in a electronet fence long ago (someone else was working him and didn't bother to turn the fence off) He never goes near electro-net and when the single wire fence we put up shocked him he didn't want to move from my side till we went and worked sheep where he could get it off his minid. He has no problems now but will not test that fence again. I make sure that he never has to go under or though it unless it's off and I help him over or under.

I think if you do the proper training it can work but like mentioned earlier, I wouldn't trust it withtout supervision for quite some time or till I knew the dogs knew their boundries and didn't test them.

I've grown in what I find acceptable with my dogs and would use it now. It's a correction that works quickly and they usually don't test it again. I find it better than nit picking them all the time or constantly correcting them with a correction that isn't working. Leaving a long line on them is so hendering and it's no fun either. Unlike a shock collar as they never know when one of those will go off with a fence or boundry it only goes off when they do the same thing each and every time.

All my kids at one time or another have shocked themselves with fencing or the likes just to see what it's like. They said it didn't hurt that bad but they didn't want to test it again. :rolleyes:

Kristen

I have had fabulous results with my PetSafe invisible fencing. My 3 dogs are much happier for it. I can walk all 3 without leashes on our 10 wooded acres that we included in our fencing loop. It did not cause my dogs to be afraid to be in the backyard, because after they had the negative consequense I.e. the shock, I followed the instructions and gave positive rewards for being in the good area. Which is key. The step they give you to train are keeping in good dog psychology. Lily has broken away from me chasing a second behind a deer and stops at the fence boundary.

It has dramatically improved the life of my pups because it is hard to walk all three in the woods on leashes, but they enjoy our pack walks soo much. I recommend you try it.

--Denise

Thank you :-) We start training this weekend! I've got my clicker and my bait ready- LOL My teenage daughter is also training her pup too! Wish us Luck! How long did it take for your dogs to understand the correction zone?

Kathy

I am very happy with the invisible fence. The key to success is to make sure you train properly. I followed the training instructions to the letter. Both of the dogs were only shocked once or twice before getting it and neither have breached the fence, ever. If the collar needs to be recharged, I can leave it off and neither one even goes close to the boundary. Taz is extremely prey driven, but will not cross the fence boundary for anything.

I have invisible fence on my 5 acres. My independent non-BC (Jaida) will cross if the UPS truck or garbage truck gets her excited enough. But River (BC) was trained as a puppy and never crosses. Diesel (BC) doesn't cross either and I got him at 15mos and he's VERY prey driven. River is not prey driven, but she won't cross even if her ball crosses. None of them wear their collars anymore (well, I should say that the non-BC does now wears her collar again since she recently proved untrustworthy).

That said, it doesn't keep other animals from coming onto your property, but it does contain your pets if they are trained properly.

I think it took just short of the 2 weeks? Its been almost a year now that we've used it. Lily is very prey driven, it took one giant leap following a deer, and a good yelp and turn back for her to never want to chance it again. my beagles are not as smart, and they took a little longer but are completely trustworthy as well. Good luck. Follow the directions, don't get cocky too early, and look at the age range I think its 4 months for pups?

I hope you have the same success.

--Denise

oops :rolleyes: I thought Jack was a Jack Russell family member.

kathy

Nah, he's a BC mix from the animal shelter. Don't know what the other part is.

Get the real Invisible Fence and you will be very happy with it. The franchise I use has outstanding customer service and the installation was a turn-key job.

• 2 months later...

Naps,

Do you have a progress report for Noah?

I have 3 female BC. Two are content to stay home (25 acres including friendly neighbors property), but Okie loves to explore and visit. We go for long runs and walks off leash on our dirt roads which really seems to reinforce the pack bond. I make lots of unexpected turns and about faces which makes them stick a little closer.

But now the days are short with lots of snow and ice, and Okie is wandering. She needs lots more training (her recall is good to excellent) and intellectual stimulation. Husband is on the property all day most days, and stops frequently to play ball or frisbee. I still feel that for her own protection an Invisible Fence might be a great addition to the toolbox. The vet found 4 bb's embedded under her skin... yikes!

Does anyone know... If I do install an IF, should all 3 dogs be trained even though 2 of them do not wander? What are the training implications with multiple dogs? Also, when it's time to leave the property, do have a specific exit point?

Well, whether to train all 3 or just one is up to you. We have all 3 on, but the neighbors Bloodhound comes for visits to play with Lily, and Lily is unbothered when Dixie Joe desides its time to head for home. I think you could do it. I think it probably did help to have all 3 on the same plan to begin with though.

Regarding leaving via exit point. I do not mess with that, we either leave by car or stay within boundaries. The IF consultant we spoke with said that he advised using a word that you would not use in any other capacity to let them know when it was ok to cross, however that would be very advanced training, you would need to get the boundaries first.

but Yikes on the bb's, that would just anger me a little.

--Denise

The only trouble with that kind of fencing is it keeps your dogs in, but doesn't keep other dogs out- Could cause a problem. I have moved into a patio home. Wow- big difference from 5 acres to 40 acres to big back yard and now patio home- luckily I have a park very close. But, now my dogs are supervised outside. Very different than before. I hope it works for you. If you have a female in heat- I wouldn't trust it.