BC Boards

Thank you from a newbie

:rolleyes: I am learning so much on this forum. You answer questions that I never even think to ask, and you do it without making the questioner feel like a stupid, non-caring nincompoop. I was on another forum recently and asked a question about aggression in my male pup. Before I could spit, I had been reamed out about my lack of knowledge, the incompetence of the vet/breeder, and my stupidity for suggesting that I want my pups for companionship rather than as working dogs.

Thank you for being patient and kind, as well at speaking up without rancor when you think someone is wrong; thank you for making this a pleasant place to be without bickering, name calling, etc., and thank you, most of all, for everything that you are teaching me.

I know what you mean by people wanting dogs to do exactly what they are bred to do. I have heard people say that bird dogs need to be hunted. The same way sheep dogs are supposed to herd sheep. If the dog is not doing what he is bred to do it will hurt the dog psychologically. This is a bunch of bunk.

When I was in my early college years my Dad got a German Shorthair from my Grandpa. We used it for bird hunting. It was indeed a sight to see that dog work. However, 99% of that dog's existance was being the household pet. She was a great dog and lots of fun. My wife bought our Springer Spaniel. I can guarantee you she will never take that dog bird hunting. She is a great dog though and very well adjusted with no abnormal traits because of her total lack of hunting birds.

I don't have any plans on sending Ruger out on sheep. Both his parents herd but I really don't have any interest in it. Ruger will have to do what I enjoy because he is only a dog. I doubt he has been mentally destroyed because he only gets to go on walks; play tons of frisbee; and hangs with me wherever I can take him. As a matter of fact, I don't think he even dreams about sheep. I think he dreams about that frisbee he missed catching or about my daughter's softball games which he intensley watches each and every pitch.

Same thing here, I'm a "refugee" too :rolleyes: . I didn't realise you had the same breed of fanatics in the US, but then I've never been on any other American BC boards than this.

My dog isn't dying of sheep deprivation either, even though we have taken lessons and will do so again as soon as it's possible. At the moment she's almost a stereotype madhead BC because I have to study a lot and it's boring, but normally she's just fine. And even now she only flips out if we go outside.

As for questions, I don't even ask many of them anymore, because having read so many threads about training questions, I can usually come up with the answers I would get if I did. And they usually work out fine!

So, welcome and enjoy your "poor sheepless dogs"

Originally posted by melly:

and my stupidity for suggesting that I want my pups for companionship rather than as working dogs.

Yours IS a working dog. His job is to be your companion. My dog saw her first sheep two weeks ago in her 3 and half years old... and it was quite far. She was with goats once when she was a pup. Does it count?

I think that where all in here agree is in not to BREED BC otherwise than by their working aptitudes, but it has nothing to do with own one and enjoy all the wonderful characteristics of this great breed.

I don't use to ask a lot too, but I'm an avid reader. I like to write from time to time too because I like the tone people use to refute or complement my suggestions, I've learned tons of that. I enjoy too the vision BC owners have of their dogs as... dogs, and not post about what would suit better their pups, if the pink or the purple lace.

Catu, I second the 'not breeding' for anything but to improve the breed - and its corollaries:

-not getting a puppy from a non-working/open-trialing breeder

-getting a companion bc from a local rescue or SPCA.

This was a difficult lesson to understand at first, and now it seems so bloody obvious. I dearly regret having not understood it from the beginning.

I've been donating to rescues to help support individual dogs for a while now. My dog's breeder while not on face value a 'puppy mill' was not an open trialer.

She wrote to say that she wasn't going to be breeding for awhile after the litter that included my Meg, but I've noticed that her two breeding pairs have produced 16 pups this summer between them. Meg has 10 more sisters and brothers. Even if I could take them, I wouldn't, now. But my heart is breaking for them.

I'm so glad that you've gotten so much help here. I feel the same way. We are all learning from each other and should never be chastised for that or for wanting to learn how to be a good bc owner.

I hear you too, I was on another board too where I was constantly getting reamed like that just for wanting to learn about the breed. It's wrong to do that to people who want to learn about the breed and be a good owner. Mean people like that need to save that kind of attitude for the owners that don't give a damn.

I 2nd/3rd/15th :rolleyes: that sentiment. We had a vague idea about BCs when we rescued Jacko, but not a lot of indepth knowledge. It's nice to hear from other people that what he's doing is normal, and to get ideas on how to entertain him (read: help him stay out of trouble!). He's happiest when he's working, for sure, although he hasn't quite learned that "stay" is a working command But I do appreciate all the advice and stories, and the completely non-judgemental attitude displayed here.