BC Boards

Allowing your dogs to take food or treats from others?

Something I always teach my dogs is to NOT accept food or treats from anyone other then my wife or myself.

I feel it is important that they look to us for their food and treats and also as a precautionary measure in the event that some stranger might try to lure one of my dogs by using treats.

Sometimes certain ppl kinda take offense when they attempt to give one of my dogs a treat and I politely tell them that I don't allow anyone except me to give them foodstuffs,normally they just give me a dumb look and hand the treat to me,which is fine.

I know this could present a problem if I ever needed to kennel any of them for an extended period so I do make an exception with one of our vet's tech's and do allow them to take food from her, which seems to work out fine,it doesn't confuse them and they turn away from the other tech if she offers treats or food but are quite willing to accept it from Amber.

Do any of the rest of you do anything like this with your dogs?

Actually, I'm in the opposite boat! Because Speedy is inherently fearful of other people, I often have others feed him.

Granted, these are other dog people who are treating their own dogs, so I see that they are feeding the same thing to their own dogs. If someone is a total stranger and wants to feed him, I give them something.

I guess you have to pick your battles. With him it was of utmost importance that he learn a coping mechanism in the presence of strange people. The side effect of that is that he thinks that most people are treat dispensers, but he is definitely a special case.

With the others, I prefer that people ask my permission before treating (dog folks always do) and I request that they ask the dog for a behavior before giving out freebies.

What about if either of them got lost, IH, and someone tried to lure them with food. Wouldn't work, would it?

Same as Kristine, I usually have treats on me so if someone wants to give my dog a treat, I give them one of mine. But my two rarely eat treats when we're out. They'll just spit it out.

I don't mind most of the time. Family is ok, of course, and friends on my flyball team or at the training club often give them treats, which is fine, also. I wouldn't let strangers off the street give them something without asking me first, though.

Holly has had some men fears in the past and still slightly now. Nothing major but i have asked people to give her a little treat before, usually just some kibble i carried with me. I wasn't to fussed about her sitting for a treat in that instance as it was a way to help her fear/unsureness. She was already bothered by them so this was a way to make them acceptable to her. When she is given a treat now though or when she is not afraid she always has to do something little for it. Nothing big - just a polite sit or something.

I do not like people feeding my dog anything without asking me first though. She doesn't get a lot of treats so anything she has i keep a track of in my head towards her daily treats. Also Holly has a funny tummy so i have to be careful what she has. I always keep something with me on walks just incase.

What about if either of them got lost, IH, and someone tried to lure them with food. Wouldn't work, would it?

A concideration to be sure. I am lucky that in my entire life I have never had a dog get lost.

In the odd event that it could happen I honestly believe that most any dog if hungry enough is going to be willing to take food,,perhaps not from a hand though.

Actually, I'm in the opposite boat! Because Speedy is inherently fearful of other people, I often have others feed him.

I can understand going this route with a dog who is fearful of people but aren't there other methods that would work besides using food?

YES!! And I'll tell you why. I use to own my own bussiness, and have a dog that came to work with me every day. He is a humble and kind dog, wouldnt bite his own fleas. I had to fire an employee because of some things he was doing while I was away, and trusted him to do things right. His wife still worked for me, and even though I had forbade him on the property for seveal weeks after I fired him, one day I conceeded and allowed him to come in and have lunch with his wife. ( whom in her defence had no idea what he was up to) He asked me if he could give my dog a burger that he didnt want, and I allowed it. 3 days later, my dog didnt want to eat, 4 days later, my dog couldnt hardly move. 5 days later, he was bleeding out of his mouth and was getteing hematomas every where he was bumped and touched. He had been poisened. I couldnt prove that it was the disgruntled ex employee, but in my mind I know it was, as we used no poisen around the place because it was a dog kennel and pet store. Besides that fact the dog is and always has been my shadow and never leaves my side. A beautiful 110 lb GSD went from being 110lbs. to 67 pounds in a week. The vets told me at some point in his recovery?? to just take him home and enjoy the last few days I had left with him, because there was nothing else they could do for him. His body kept blowing out every IV they tried to put in him. Dying as far as I was concerned was not an option, so I asked them to tell me every thing I could do to survive my dog. They did, though they warned me that it would all be in vain. He is back to 110 lbs. and just as he was before. A happy friendly easy going dog. But I taught him what "poison" was as soon as he was well enough.( though it was a long and slow recovery, took almost a year to get him back to normal, and still the thyroid did suffer, as most all his organs started to shut down)Poison, is anything in anyones hand, no matter how good it smells or how encouraging a person might be in trying to give it to him. He will come and sit by me now, and not take food from anyone unless "I" allow it. There are some really sick people in this world. Darci post-7917-1193242895_thumb.jpg

post-7917-1193243230_thumb.jpg

This is something I have been struggling with as well - but for a different reason. There is a group of us that meets in a doggie park every Saturday and Sunday morning. Terrific people that I generally trust with my dog. But they have been giving Mollie treats for sitting down (most of them did ask first). That would be ok... except that Mollie now treats ALL of the park people as giant treat dispensers. She often follows them around, sits in front of them instead of playing with the other dogs and what annoys me the most - she started jumping on people (it goes something like this: I jump, they ask me to sit down and be a good girl, I do that, they give me a treat - I swear she figured out the whole chain of events). She never jumps on us or on people anywhere other than in the dog park... grrrrr..... So I now ask people not to give her treats. I don't always catch it, but if I do, I ask them not to do it. And as for the luring by strangers - we live in a city, and Mollie is never left alone outside, so I just don't worry about that part. :-)

I can understand going this route with a dog who is fearful of people but aren't there other methods that would work besides using food?

I suppose that includes me too, from my experience with Holly though small food bits was the best and easiest to use. I couldn't really ask a stranger no matter how keen and friendly they were to maybe play tug with my dog. Or maybe play with her tennis ball which may have worked but a little food was easier. It was my food though so i knew it was safe.

I would worry if my dog would only eat food that i gave it as if they had to go into the vets to stay or if something tragic happended to me then would they eat?. I can understand your thinking Iron horse but that would worry me. Plus in my case i wanted Holly to view people as good.

I too encourage others to give my dogs food and treats, I want my dogs to LIKE people, as not all my dogs naturally do.

Its not that I don't want my dogs to LIKE people,lol.

I do perfer them to be leary of strangers, not to a point that they show fear or aggression however.I would rather my dogs size up an individual based on whatever other critia their brains use then to view people as Pez dispensers.

Its been my observations that a well adjusted dog is a pretty damn good judge of character.

I would worry if my dog would only eat food that i gave it as if they had to go into the vets to stay or if something tragic happended to me then would they eat?.

This is the reason that I make it a point to create the situation that allows Amber (one of our vet's techs) to offer them food.

Now in the event that Amber were not available any longer (not likely, she is closely related to our vet and owns an interest in the facility) I would of course have to retrain another person.

In the event that something tragic happened to my wife and I at the same time,well Amber is the assignee to take in our dogs and would automatically have access to their emercency/retirement fund.

The reason i bring this up is I am having abit of an issue with my son,,he thinks I am being an Icehole for not allowing my granddaughters to feed the troupe treats.

I point out to him that all the dogs adore our granddaughters and have a great time with them (well except Jasmine,my youngest GD Maggie insists on grabbing her tail and god forbide anyone touch little miss prissy's tail) and food is not an issue so why cop an attitude about something that doesn't matter?

If I allow them to take food from the GDs then it can only degenerate what I have taught the dogs not to do.

Not with a dog like this. I guess a ball would have worked just as well, but it's a heck of a lot more practical to hand people treats and have them turn away and toss your dog a treat than to have them tossing tennis balls around. Especially around other dogs.

Because his fears are a result of an involuntary chemical response in the brain to a given stimulus (in this case, proximity to people), there was no way to train him out of it. Flooding would have had disasterous results, and simply trying to let him "grow out of it" gradually made it worse.

The response had to be desensitized slowly over time and a new response had to be conditioned. Food was the most practical way to go. Anyone will and can give your dog a treat. And - it works wonders with those people who insist that your dog is going to LOVE to be petted by them in spite of being fearful. I've never gotten an argument from anyone to whom I have said, "you can't pet him, but you may give him a treat". I can kill two birds with one stone in that situation. The person gets to interact with my dog in a meaningful way, and the dog gets a chance to see that letting people close to him means GOOD things.

Over time, the results of counter conditioning Speedy's response to people using food has been nothing short of miraculous. My dog who used to hide behind my legs when a single person looked directly at him from across a room danced happily and confidently in front of a crowd of 500 a little while ago. Those results definitely don't leave me looking for other methods of rehabilitating a dog with a fearful temperament. :rolleyes:

I don't allow strangers to feed my dogs unless they ask me first and I have a treat for them to give the dogs. I don't let strangers just produce their own treats. Part of the reason that I do that is because I would never trust what a stranger would offer and partly is because I'm fairly picky about what my dogs eat and I don't consider things like potato chips, cake, Fritos, french fries, etc., to be appropriate dog treats.

I also have a dog that is fearful of people that he doesn't know and I encourage strangers to toss him treats (that I provide) because I don't want him to view people with such suspicion. I especially don't want his fear to progress to biting.

Its not that I don't want my dogs to LIKE people,lol.

I do perfer them to be leary of strangers, not to a point that they show fear or aggression however.I would rather my dogs size up an individual based on whatever other critia their brains use then to view people as Pez dispensers.

Its been my observations that a well adjusted dog is a pretty damn good judge of character.

lol, I didnt even think of what I said that way :rolleyes: what I meant was that, some of my dogs have a dislike of people, not weary, but genuine dislike of people in general, to the point that it is difficult to take them anywhere lest there be humans present lol. because I have had experience with more then one dog being this way, I now go out of my way to have strangers give any of my dogs treats, and lovings and praise etc.. because I want to ensure that all my dogs will be fine around people :D

Over time, the results of counter conditioning Speedy's response to people using food has been nothing short of miraculous. My dog who used to hide behind my legs when a single person looked directly at him from across a room danced happily and confidently in front of a crowd of 500 a little while ago. Those results definitely don't leave me looking for other methods of rehabilitating a dog with a fearful temperament. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad to hear you say this. I am going through the same thing with Skittles right now. It's heartbreaking for me to see my former people-loving puppy turn into a people-fearing dog. I've been working with a trainer doing just what you had described. I was lamenting to her on Monday about how sad I was that Skittles had developed this fearful reaction to people and that I didn't understand why it happened because we tried to do a lot to socialize him. She gave me some good advice. She told me that it's too late to ask why because it happened and there's nothing that we can do to change that. But, we can work to change his perception of strangers by desensitizing and reconditioning his behavior. We are seeing some progress in some situations, but he is still reactive in other situations. We will keep working at it.

The reason i bring this up is I am having abit of an issue with my son,,he thinks I am being an Icehole for not allowing my granddaughters to feed the troupe treats.

How about next time the kids are there making a big deal out of having them help measure out and prepare the dogs next meal?

Nothing wrong with not having kids giving the dogs treats. It makes sure the kids and dogs don't misunderstand each other and have any accidents with fingers and it makes sure the kids don't give the dogs too much to eat or something they aren't supposed to have. It's a good safety feature.

So why not instead make a big deal out of the dogs getting exactly the right amount of exactly the right food and the girls can help? Then son can feel like you include the girls with the dogs and the girls feel important and the training doesn't get undermined.

I know of some very overweight dogs that are that way because grandkids overdo the treats. You're keeping your dogs safe!

There are a few places I'll allow my dogs to have treats from - the bank, Bookman's (a dog friendly used book store), the lady at the self serve dog wash. Other than that, I don't allow them to take treats from anyone I don't know. There are times that we are at the dogpark and people will have treats and I'll ask them politely to NOT give my dogs any treats. If I see someone going to give one of them a treat I'll yell "LEAVE IT" and my dogs won't take the treat. Then I'll walk over and ask that no treats be given to my dogs. There are some strange people around, and who knows what they might be up to. About a month ago some guy came into the dogpark without a dog and was asking people if he could give their dog a treat. It seemed odd to me, but I guess nobody's dog got sick.

I just don't trust people. It is sad that experience has taught me not to.

What about teaching them that they can take treats only after you or your wife give the okay. That way the GD's could still give them treats, but only if you were there to give the okay.

Yea this would be an option probably would be a good thing to train my dogs to do regardless.I'll put some concideration into it,but then I sort of enjoy being abit of an Icehole to my son especially when it comes to my Granddaughters,lol

He keeps them so prissy and it drives me nuts,,little girls should be able to enjoy running around the farm barefooted and jump in puddles.

I cracked up a couple weeks ago when my oldest GD (Victoria)was out with me as I was greasing the tractor,,(she just loves anything to do with the machinery and is very inquisitive about what it does and how) and stuck her finger into some of the grease and asked me "hey Pop what does this do ?" as I was explaining to a 6 yr old the best I could explain to a 6 yr old what the grease was for,well out comes my son and says "oh Torie! look now you've got all nasty". Well Torie points the greasy finger at him and says just as serious as she could be "Noo daddy Pop says this is food for the tractor and it needs it to feel good so your wong its not nasty its good!" and promptly stuck her greasy finger in her mouth, gets a bad expression on her face,looks back at me,pauses a minute thinking then says "you know Pop I think you should feed the tractor food that taste more better"

Even my serious son had to crack up as she was bending over spitting and saying yuck!

I cracked up a couple weeks ago when my oldest GD (Victoria)was out with me as I was greasing the tractor,,(she just loves anything to do with the machinery and is very inquisitive about what it does and how) and stuck her finger into some of the grease and asked me "hey Pop what does this do ?" as I was explaining to a 6 yr old the best I could explain to a 6 yr old what the grease was for,well out comes my son and says "oh Torie! look now you've got all nasty". Well Torie points the greasy finger at him and says just as serious as she could be "Noo daddy Pop says this is food for the tractor and it needs it to feel good so your wong its not nasty its good!" and promptly stuck her greasy finger in her mouth, gets a bad expression on her face,looks back at me,pauses a minute thinking then says "you know Pop I think you should feed the tractor food that taste more better"

Even my serious son had to crack up as she was bending over spitting and saying yuck!

LOL :rolleyes:

How about next time the kids are there making a big deal out of having them help measure out and prepare the dogs next meal?

If it were totally up to me I would enjoy having the girls included in preparing the meals for the dogs.

But even though my son grew up on the farm he has become very citified.

I believe its important that children learn early on that animals are raised for other reasons besides being pets.

My son thinks it would be to tramatic for the girls to be a party to butchering a rabbit or a chicken or whatever that was going to be the dogs meal,or for that matter may even be the girls dinner.

For the time being,at least until the girls get abit older I will respect that and not expose them to the entire process of disecting a fluffy bunnie that they made little name tags to go on the hutch for. easier for me to just stick another rabbit in the hutch and let them think its still "peter" or "bunbun" (good reason to keep all new zealands so they basically all look alike lol)

"Oh no Abby thats peter he just grew a little bit since the last time you saw him :rolleyes:"

I try to avoid others giving Senneca treats -- mostly, because I don't want her to learn to beg. I'm not happy about much of what goes into many of the treats, either, so that ensures that I know that what she is eating is healthy. A woman who goes to the same agility class has an old english sheepdog with renal failure -- most likely from the (now recalled) chicken jerky she was giving the dog.