BC Boards

I bought a clicker last night

I've tried using a clicker before, but never really got the hang of using it. I just used treats, the word yes, etc. And it worked OK (hey, they're BCs, they learn in spite of me :rolleyes: ) But I'm trying to work through some issues with Kipp, so I decided to try it again. I also wanted to see how well it would work with the poodle I'm training.

I bought one last night, and started using it today. Caniche, the poodle, is very food motivated and is catching right on. She is catching on to the concept of walking at heel and is starting to offer a sit very consistantly when she wants something.

I used it with Kipp a few times today just going over basic commands and eye contact. Tonight I took him out, did a couple commands, and then didn't say anything. He'd run off to check something out (big yard with barns, gotta find those cats, etc) then he'd come back to me. So I'd click and treat. He quickly started offering behaviors when he came back - sit, eye contact, down, speak. I started walking around and he'd move to the heel position, stopping and sitting when I stopped.

For the next several days his food will be going in a treat pouch, and we'll be going outside with the clicker.

If it continues like this, I think I will be hooked.

Good thing you're not a dog then. They don't necessarily view the world exactly the way you do.

This is my big pet peeve! I think you can use other means to train your dog than with their dinner (and I'm ready to be flamed). If someone withheld my paycheck, I'd be less than inclined to work, but if meals were withheld, I'd be belligerant.

Barb S

I think you can use other means to train your dog than with their dinner (and I'm ready to be flamed). If someone withheld my paycheck, I'd be less than inclined to work, but if meals were withheld, I'd be belligerant.

I've often "made my dogs work for their suppers." They seem to be fine with it and I like that it gives me one on one time with each dog. I can't say I've ever noticed any of them being resentful about the arrangement. My Lhasa was heavily clicker trained from puppyhood. He's a complete mercenary who always has a gleam in his eye as he tries to figure out ways to get me to give him treats (i.e., kibble). Quinn is more into toys but he also seems to have fun when dinner becomes a game, as does my sheltie.

With clicker training, it's all tricks, so maybe not the type of training you're thinking of. :rolleyes:

Well most dogs and other canids in the wild or semiwild work for their dinners, so I don't see much of a difference. My girl hasn't gotten her food in a dish for at least a year and she certainly seems better for it.

Zhi eats microscopic amounts of food and food is the way I train her, so when we are training you bet breakfast goes in a treat bag. She loves it! It only takes like twenty kibbles to fill her up so I don't really have a choice but withold food or she'd be fat!

This is my big pet peeve! I think you can use other means to train your dog than with their dinner (and I'm ready to be flamed). If someone withheld my paycheck, I'd be less than inclined to work, but if meals were withheld, I'd be belligerant.

If I had any indication that Kipp was less than thrilled with the situation, I'd do something else. But so far, just the oppossite seems to be true. It took me forever to get a good "down" with Kipp. Last night he was coming up , tail wagging, lying down expectantly.

I don't think dog's worry about how they're getting their food, as long as they're getting it. In fact, most dogs I know would be thrilled to get to eat throughout the day as oppossed to just once a day.

The best thing about the clicker (done right) is the enthusiasm that most dogs show for the things they are learning when they are clicked. They want to earn that click and treat so much that they often go through their entire repitoire, offering one previously clicked behavior after another until they hit the right one and get their click. Sure, you can use words or hand signals instead, but most of us (I) are always talking to the dogs, so the click is more distinctive - it only means one thing.

Have fun!

Steward Robbins

Barb S

Their food is not being withheld, they are just having to work for it. They still get their meals and as Laurae said, they don't view the world as you and I, so their feelings aren't hurt by being made to work for their food. I make my dogs work for all kinds of things - toys, food, going outside, pets, etc. It helps to establish your role as a leader and they enjoy being challenged.

ETA: The other thing about using their food as the reward is that it prevents them from being over-fed. I'd rather have a healthy-weight dog that works for his dinner, than a fat dog that gets to eat his dinner and a pouch full of treats every day.

Enjoy the clicker training! I'm definitely 100% hooked on it, too!

Back before Speedy was raw fed, he used to get bored eating! I often had to "liven up" his mealtimes by putting his kibble inside a hollow ball so he could work for his meal!

With Dean, the "work for you meals" technique was a wonderful way to teach him the rules of my household in a way that was 100% free of confrotation and struggle. 'Course he's raw fed now, so we don't do that anymore, but it definitely helped him back when he ate kibble and he earned his meals one piece at a time.