BC Boards

Clicker tips

Last weekend I had Bonnie down at the dog park with a friend and her dog (another BC). My friend has been using clicker training and so I had a go at asking Bonnie commands and then rewarding with a click then a treat. She responded really well. My biggest problem with Bonnie so far has been getting her attention when we are in an unfamiliar territory and the clicker seemed to get her 100% focused everytime I used it. She got really excited at the sound and thought it was a great game and I was able to keep her focused for longer and go through many more of her commands then I usually would have been able to in the situation. So after thinking about it all week I've decided I'm going to start using a clicker with her. I'm going out to buy one tomorrow! So I was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on using the clicker? Keeping in mind that I have never trained with one before....

I did do a search but didn't really come up with anything usefull, or I could just be getting used to the search function...

Glad to hear you're having fun with the clicker! After you've got it "charged" (this is the introduction - simply Click! and treat repeatedly until your dog catches on that the Click! means good stuff. Begin saying your dog's name, then Click! and treat when she makes eye contact. I then work the sit and down with the clicker, just basic exercises until they catch on that Click! means Yes! That's what I wanted), you can begin playing games that will really enhance comprehension and strengthen the relationship long term.

A fun clicker game that I love to play with my agility puppies is "100 things to do with a Box". Pick an object - such as a small, plastic or cardboard box - and place it on the floor in front of your dog. If she shows no interest, nudge it around. Make a game out of it. If she sniffs it, paws it, tosses it up in the air, flips it - Click! and reward. Begin clicking for any behavior that you like to increase chances that she'll do it again. Try it with different objects.

I carry a clicker around with me and If I see my puppy performing a wanted behavior, I click! and reward. I consider the clicker a form of communication between dog and handler...it makes shaping fun and rewarding for both you and your dog.

I recommend getting a really good clicker book like Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander. That will help you get a good foundation in the clicker work and then the sky is pretty much the limit as far as what you can do with it.

A click is a marker, not a reward. The click is more successful that most praise because it can come with the speed of a camara shutter...taking a "picture" of the behavior to the dog.

www.sitstay.com has some good started books and videos. As does www.dogwise.com. I refer people to Gary Wilkes On Target a lot - it's clear, and incorporates a lot of the stuff to use in agility right off the bat. Here is the SitStay link

I had never used a clicker before Usher and at first you couldn't really make me believe in them, but they do really mark the spot much quicker than a good boy and I have totally changed my mind about clickers. Love them now.

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor is a great book as well....less a technical training book, but a clear examination of the benefits of operant conditioning/positive reinforcement in training animals. Pryor kind of led the way for the clicker training movement with this book.

Last weekend I had Bonnie down at the dog park with a friend and her dog (another BC). My friend has been using clicker training and so I had a go at asking Bonnie commands and then rewarding with a click then a treat. She responded really well. My biggest problem with Bonnie so far has been getting her attention when we are in an unfamiliar territory and the clicker seemed to get her 100% focused everytime I

The reason the clicker is so successful is the sound registers in the amygdala, the most primitive part of the brain which is in the limbic system. Our voices only register in the cerebral cortex. All animals have an amygdala. That is why clicker training, whether you use is in conjunction with lure/rewarding training or freeshaping (operant conditioning) is so successful with ANY species of animal in the world.

For me that is what makes it great - I think the proof is in the pudding when a training method crosses the species barrier and can be used successfully on anythng you want to train from mammals to fish to insects.

A good yahoo group to join is clickersolutions.

The reason the clicker is so successful is the sound registers in the amygdala, the most primitive part of the brain which is in the limbic system. Our voices only register in the cerebral cortex. All animals have an amygdala. That is why clicker training, whether you use is in conjunction with lure/rewarding training or freeshaping (operant conditioning) is so successful with ANY species of animal in the world.

Fantastic explanation!

I am a total clicker convert after getting one about a month ago and teaching my four year old Shar-Pei numerous tricks in the space of just a few days.

Taj was 9 weeks old yesterday and he will sit, shake both hands, give a high five, wave his paw, drop (still learning) and come (about 95% success on that so I rarely do this off lead because it is such an important one), and retrieve a thrown ball all thanks to the click and treating (shaping) his natural behaviours.

Of course I think he is exceptionally smart puppy anyway;) but the clicker IMHO is an exceptional training tool.

Yep, the clicker is a powerful tool. The other day we agreed to 'babysit' our pals golden for the day. This is Hoku's best buddy, and we though, no sweat, it will be a blast for him to have a play mate all day. Well, she is a rescue with a LOT of issues, including separation anxiety and abandonment issues. Luckily she is clicker trained. I took her and distracted her while her people drove away, but when she realized that they were not in sight, she freaked. I had her leashed just in case something like this happened. Well, after about 20 minutes of hell, I had the brilliant idea to take her inside and run her through her tricks with the clicker. At the first click, she calmed down, focused on me, we worked for a few minutes on simple stuff (sit, down, shake, and recall to me) and she was fine. She was great the rest of the day and evening, played, minded me, was just a great girl to have around. PHEW!!!! Thank you, Clicker!

There are theories - yes, unproven theories - that clicker work can actually build new pathways in a dog's brain, much the way that neurofeedback can do so in humans. Neurofeedback is a non-chemical therapy used sometimes for ADD. My husband tried it and had really good results.

Anyway, I went to one of his sessions, and I can see the similarities.

After 4 years of clicker work with Speedy for his fear/temperament issues, I see real differences in the way his brain works.

I hope someday a study is done to substantiate some of those theories.

You've had lots of good advice.

I'd certainly suggest reading Don't shoot the Dog and Clicker Training for Dogs , also by Karen Pryor.

Like you I'd never used a clicker before but soon discovered that Dale loved it.

Now I keep a tub of treats and a clicker in the kitchen and anytime I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or something we play with the clicker. Keep it really short and have fun. Collies love to work things out and use their brains. I think that's why they like the clicker. They have to work out why your clicking and think up new ways to make you click.