BC Boards

Riven marked my carpet

Holy crap I dont know that I've ever been this angry with her. I swatted her butt, and put her outside. I cleaned it and let her back in and made her stay on the couch away from the computer. Im seriously mad.

The story is... Abu the neighbors dog (who loves Riven and Riven loves him) came over. This is nothign new, it happens all the time. Only, today she decides, hey Im gonna just pee on the front room carpet next to Abu. I saw her squat and yelled "RIVEN!!" She just looked at me and continued peeing. I think that is what really hacked me off. Then I call hubby and tell him, and he says "you shouldnt hit her, just show her you're dominant" ... Im like "what would you have done?" He's like I dont know I've never been in that situation

ETA: Im 99% sure there is no bladder infection, she had been out in enough time she could have held it, she didnt ask to go out either.

ETA 2: In thinking of it, what the crap is he talking about "show her you're dominant?" LOL What??

Even housetrained dogs have accidents sometimes.

This isnt an accident though. I understand if I hadnt taken her out or whatever, but this was while I was right there. She didnt even ask to go out. Im just so upset that ... well... that she did it to begin with, but also that she did it in front of me, as if my rules of where she pee's have no effect on her, but also that when I yelled, she just looked at me! Like, not even scared, just like, you know, bite me lol.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I don't understand why you think she was marking just because she peed next to her "friend" dog. Believe you me, I clean up plenty of accidents made by housetrained dogs.

Show her who's dominant, eh? So she learns to submissive pee instead, I guess.

I don't understand why you think she was marking just because she peed next to her "friend" dog. Believe you me, I clean up plenty of accidents made by housetrained dogs.

Show her who's dominant, eh? So she learns to submissive pee instead, I guess.

The reason I think she was marking is because she has done it before in that exact same spot. Why didnt she ask to go out if she had to go? That is what Im not getting...

Yeah.. the comment by my hubby, I got no clue what he meant. I do know he doesnt hit her, so I dont know what exactly he had in mind

Donna, how old is Riven? Around two or under? Don't take it too personally. Even though it may have seemed like a case of defiance on Riven's part, it seems like a very dog-like behavior to me. :rolleyes: It may be that she was suddenly just feeling very possessive about her turf when her friend was there. Has Abu been inside your house very much? Riven probably got the point that you were not pleased with her behavior and won't be anxious to repeat it.

Hang in there! Give Riven a hug and hopefully she won't ever repeat that kind of performance.

Just FYI - I have a teenage son that looks at me like that sometimes and it makes me furious, but I know that eventually he won't act like such a defiant little beast. :D

Donna,

She didn't ask because she's a dog. Anytime a dog is busy playing, they aren't going to stop and ask to use the bathroom. Dog's also have to go more often when they play and get excited. Everytime she has a playmate over, try to schedule bathroom breaks more often.

My first thoughts are 1. bladder infection 2. immaturity (how old is she again?) or, as Debbie points out, just one of those things. Not a shining moment in dog ownership but not the worst either. Both my shelties at around one year of age peed on my bed. They did this a year apart from each other and they did this on different beds. Who knows why? Perhaps some sort of Sheltie Gang Initiation. If there had been a second incident with either of them, I would have taken a urine sample in. Instead it must have been a moment of adolescent insanity. Like Riven, Sassy peed right in front of me and when I yelled, she stared at me and continued to pee. And she is a very submissive dog so I really don't think it was defiance on her part. Probably she couldn't stop and my yelling "HEYWHATAREYOUDOING?!?!?" wasn't going to help her stop.

Hopefully, by now you're over your anger and friends with her again. :rolleyes: If she has another accident or marks or declares a manifesto or however it might be viewed, I'd take in a urine sample to make sure she doesn't have an infection before assuming it was a behavioral problem.

LOL of course Im friends with her again. I love her and her little doggie pouty face works wonders on my anger lol. Abu does come over all the time. He has only once attempted to mark on our couch, but we stopped him as soon as we saw the leg come up and he didnt go.

I suppose from now on, I'll make her pee before he comes over. That way there will be no more "incidents" lol.

Riven is around 2 years old for those that asked:)

What the others have said - and I'm glad you two are friends again. :D

Just a thought - be sure and clean that spot with a proper enzymatic cleaner - just in case there is something about the spot that smells (to her) like it needs her 'attention'.

(Oh, and it reminded me of my previous Border Collie who one night woke up (or maybe he didn't wake up) and stood and peed on my bed - where he'd been sleeping :rolleyes: - and he was something like 10 or 11.)

I wouldn't get to mad at her. I would guess she got excited with her friend being there and forgot she had to go, or got to excited and had to go. Even fully house trained dogs have accidents in the house. Even Black Jack pees on stuff once in a while.

Be sure to really clean the area that she has gone on before. Even if it looks clean to you she may still be able to smell it.

Sounds like a mistake due to excitement to me.

I was playing Abby's favourite game with her once where I pretend to chase her up and down the hall. She was getting really excited and she jumped on my roommate's bed to make a turn to run back and all of a sudden she squatted and pee'd. Just too much excitement, I think. I was happy it wasn't on my bed :rolleyes:

This is kind of OT, but what Barb posted above reminded me of something. When I had Sammie in basic manners class a few years ago, there was this really obnoxious adolescent Lab that was absolutely fascinated by him. Whenever they would be in proximity to each other, this dog was very pushy in the way doggies can be when they meet.

One time we were (thankfully) outside the building and this Lab stuck his nose right in Sammie's private area. Sammie turned and looked at him and then proceeded to lift his leg and pee right on this dog!

Sammie has never done it again to any dog, but it definitely made his point! That Lab never bothered him again!

At the stock clinic last spring while I was getting stuff out of my truck Black Jack peed on my boot. I couldn't get mad at him for it. I just figured he wanted everyone to know I was his human :rolleyes:

Zeke has been known to pee on me as well (only once!). We were at agility class and for some reason he decided I made a good pee post (maybe because I wouldn't let him pee on the equipment?) and lifted his leg and peed all over my jeans/shoe. I jumped back, but I decided it was too funny to get after him for doing (and I doubted he'd be making it a habit).