BC Boards

The Gentle Leader Halter

OK, we've got one of these. Kaylee got fit for hers and bucked it at first, but was persuaded to 'Leave it' and get interested in going off walking, and it's already improving things. No more 'forging' on leash, at all, in one walk! She had already pretty much given up lungeing at cars, but sometimes she will still crouch and stare down an approaching vehicle. It looks like the GL will help with that, too, as we use it more.

What has been your experience with the GL? Is it primarily a training device that can eventually go away, because the dog's behavior has been reshaped, or is this 'walkies' for life? How has it worked for your dog(s)?

Compare to Halti?

I consider the GL and the Halti are the same, they just fit on a bit differently. The goal with both is as a training device. Eventually you walk the dog with 2 leashes (preferably leashes of different textures (for your benefit) ie. nylon and leather) one attached to GL and one to regular collar. You start using only the GL for 'corrections' (ie. leave slack unless dog pulls) - making the focus on the collar leash. Eventually the dog will only need the collar leash and you walk the dog w/ the GL on but no leash attached to it. Then finally, remove GL only need the collar leash.

However, that is the ideal. Most people are too lazy or somedogs are too stubborn to train off of it and they just wear them forever. Not the end of the world - it is what it is.

I have used a Halti briefly before but never got to the training point since I rarely have my dogs on leash, it hasn't been worth the effort to train them to walk nicely on leash. None currently wear a GL/Halti when on leash - and all pull due to excitement. But all are very reliable off leash (stupid laws :D ) Someday I'll get around to training leash walking. :rolleyes:

The GL was the best thing I ever found and results are instant. Our 1st day of obience class Magic walked in on her hind legs pulling on the leash. The instructor suggested to several of use to try the GL. I agreed and she fitted Magic for one right there. She had me go back into the class room and walk her around. No more pull. It was amazing. Walking the dog became fun not a chore.

We got the GL in January and just this month after much practice with healing I can say we no longer need the GL. She has not only learned to walk beside me but also to not pull when we come upon other dogs. She still gets a little excited but she just prances beside me as I tell her to leave it.

Great training tool.

I love my GL! I've tried walking Max with a regular leash/collar and he just pulls like crazy. The GL got him to do things they way I want him to do them! But he was a PITA about it - I bought one, used it for a month and eventually one of the kids got it out, left it on the floor, and he chewed it up. So I got a second one. Put it on him, went to grab something before heading out the door on our walk, and he had already chewed through a strap! Now we have #3 and it doesn't go anywhere near him unless we are walking right out.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

hmm maybe i'll look into this. Freck pulls...not terrible but it's annoying. It gets worse as she gets excited, and 'NO PULL' doesnt phase her any more, a quick jerk will get her attention, but only stops the action for a short time...

Pasqual had to wear a gentle leader in obedience class because when we first got him he was profoundly dog agressive. We were actually told "Not only is he not learning, he is preventing the other students from learning." Swear to God. I was so embarassed. Anyway, it did improve him in class and around the apartment where we lived. He very sullenly accepted the device. However, in a fit of rage he ripped it halfway off of his face with his paw and chewed through it in a matter of seconds to try and get to another dog. Then we got a halti, which is constructed like a horse's halter. He HATED the halti. I'm not sure why, but those cheek pieces made him extraordinarily angry. He's gotten much better, not great but much better, with other dogs since. In Ingrid's obedience class, as few dogs had problems with pulling and the instructor fitted them with gentle leaders also. They seemed to work really well.

Ive tried the gentle leader on all my dogs with rather mixed results. The good thing about the GL is that it can also be used as a collar which makes weaning them off it easier. It just depends on the dog though.

Cody He hated the GL and used to fight it all the time. I found he would be so distracted by it that he wasnt really paying attention to the lesson anyway. After a few weeks I began to wean him off it by taking the nose part off. As soon as he started pulling I put it back over his nose for 5 mins. Pretty quickly he got the idea that if he pulled it would go back on and so he started to get much better. After a few weeks his lead snapped (Maddi had chewed it in the car on the way) and the trainers lead had a martingale on it. I was amazed at how well he worked with the martingale and never went back to the GL for him.

Maddi (my sister's dog) She still wears hers. She isn't at all bothered by it (she has worn it for a few years now so I dont think she even notices it anymore) and she walks perfectly when it is on. If it isnt, she will literally drag you down the street. She has pulled me over a few times when I attempted the "we stand here every time you start to pull" method. She is a BC x boxer so she is quite a strong dog and my sister just cannot walk her without the GL. She doesnt do any formal training anymore so it is just to walk around the streets and they made the decision not to wean her off it.

Delta Ive only tried it on her a few times and she has completely freaked out every time. No amount of coaxing will calm her and she refuses food. She manages to get it off her nose after about 5 secs anyway, then sulks for an hour. It isnt really necessary for her as I started training her at 8 weeks and she does really well on the martingale. It was something I was going to try for when I need to walk both dogs at the same time as all there training goes out the window when the double lead comes out but that isnt that often anyway.

Charlie He isnt particularly concerned by it, although when asked to do a drop at training he will see it as the perfect opportunity to get it off his nose. Im currently in the process of weaning him off it for obedience (he has only had 3 lessons in total) using the same method I started for Cody. He was starting to work it out but there is no training in September so chances are he will have forgotten it by the time we train again and I will have to start with it on him. I always put it on him when I am walking both dogs. I may not be able to put one on Delta but at least it makes it slightly easier to walk them when only one is pulling me :rolleyes:

Some dogs do better with something like a Sensation harness. One of the things that a lot of

folks forget to do is desensitize to the GL or Halti (on/off with a lot of treats), then many dogs do nothing

but constantly fight/paw at straps on the face. Many do well with a GL but not a Halti and viceversa...

some just don't get along with any headcollar despite tons of desensitization....

I was able to wean Fergus off the Gentle Leader for the most part but if I had to take him someplace new I'd put it on him still. I can't restrain him safely without it if he really wants to go.

But I'm the only one who uses it. My ex is able to just look at him with growly eyebrows and not have a problem.

I just want to warn everyone who uses any type of head halter to NEVER NEVER NEVER use a leash correction when the dog is wearing the head halter. You can cause serious neck injury. Also, a dog who has lightening reactions can cause unjury to itself on a head halter. If your dog is like this, try a Sensation harness or a Premier Easy Walk harness instead. I have used all of the above, None were the answer for all my dogs. The Gentle Leader worked fine for one dog, but hit the other too close to the eye, For her, the Halti was more successful. Ruby uses a Sensation harness, as the Easy Walk would not fit her properly, even with the intermediate sizing. She is built like a Whippet, tall and narrow, with a deep chest. So some dogs can't be fitted properly. Most dogs can be weaned off the halter or harness eventually, but a few will always need them.

I also have directions for making a homemade no-pull harness tht costs virtually nothing to make. It was designed by a shelter worker named Kathleen Cahill, and she has shared the information with many folks. If you are interested, email me at stewardrobbins@comcast.net and I will mail you the instructions. It requires that the dog wear a center ring flat collar and is incredibly simple to put on the dog. This is what we use most of the time on Ruby now.

Kathy Robbins

2comcast.net

Kathy Robbins

I just want to warn everyone who uses any type of head halter to NEVER NEVER NEVER use a leash correction when the dog is wearing the head halter. You can cause serious neck injury. Also, a dog who has lightening reactions can cause unjury to itself on a head halter if it takes off and the head jerks around. If your dog is like this, try a Sensation harness or a Premier Easy Walk harness instead. I have used all of the above, None were the answer for all my dogs. The Gentle Leader worked fine for one dog, but hit the other too close to the eye, For her, the Halti was more successful. Ruby has used a Sensation harness, as the Easy Walk would not fit her properly, even with the intermediate sizing. She is built like a Whippet, tall and narrow, with a deep chest. So some dogs can't be fitted properly. Most dogs can be weaned off the halter or harness eventually, but a few will always need them.

I also have directions for making a homemade no-pull harness tht costs virtually nothing to make. It was designed by a shelter worker named Kathleen Cahill, and she has shared the information with many folks. If you are interested, email me at stewardrobbins@comcast.net and I will mail you the instructions. It requires that the dog wear a center ring flat collar and is incredibly simple to put on the dog. This is what we use most of the time on Ruby now.

Kathy Robbins

2comcast.net

Kathy Robbins

I have a dog who pulls like a sled dog or a tractor at agility trials and the gentle leader saves my arms there. He will pull even on that, somehow, but it is much reduced. He is very strong. No, he will never be weaned off it. And when I used the Easy Walk/front clip harness he was pulling so hard on that, that his chiropractor said his shoulder and neck were out!

The harness is a great alternative for a dog who is not a real pushy dog. It works great on my little girl. She doesn't need the halter. I generally try the harness first, then if that doesn't work I will move up to a GL.

When fitted properly a dog should not be able to get a GL off their head without some rather inventive contortions and a good few minutes of grabbing/crawling/rubbing/scratching. It needs to be fitted tightly, but make sure you fit the part around the neck FIRST either leave the nose part off or undo the clip so it's not tight at all) tight/firm and high up right behind the ears - if this is fitted well it is easier to cut them a little slack around the muzzle and they still can't get the thing off. Once the neck part is fitted tightly but comfortably, slide the nose loop clip up the bottom of the jaw and clip on. It should fit snugly, but because of where the "joint" in the thing is located, the dog can still open its mouth enough to pant.

Some dogs will be hit on the eye area more than others making the Halti (non-adjustable) a better choice.

The only time I've had dogs able to take a GL off is when they were allowed to rub/scratch for several minutes on their own. Well-fitted, it shouldn't come off that easily.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! Interesting, the variation in usefulness from dog to dog.

So far, this is working great for my particular dog, and she's almost stopped messing with it. I've been giving her lots of strokes and clicks and treats, and keeping her interested in the walk; that seems to be the big thing. If it means she can go walking, she'll put up with it.

Now weaning her off it? That's down the road a piece: we'll just have to see how she develops.

Easy Walker has helped a friend of mine with a big, strong dog (I think he's Rottie and SharPei).

I like both the GL and the Easy Walk Harness. Lilly shut down with the GL, but it works wonders with Jack. Lilly uses the Easy Walk and does well with it. So, it's all about finding what works with the individual dog. And, as someone said, we don't use them all the time, only when going someplace "stimulating" or new.

Alex, the Perfect One, needs neither, btw. :rolleyes: