BC Boards

Excessive urination

sea4th

This is a dog - male - going on 6 yrs. old, recently neutered within the last couple of months. Bloodowrk and urine test come back OK. He's going in for a bladder x-ray. He is otherwise feeling OK - energetic, eating OK.

This problem just came up recently - within the last 2 or 3 weeks.

What else should we be looking at/for?

Thanks.

I had this issue with more than one dog. One dog, just a matter of tanking up on water too much. I watch his intake. The other was a bladder infection (which I think is back :rolleyes:(( ) and the other isn't really excessive urination, but hormone issues in a bitch.

I can't wait for my linoleum floors to be installed!

Julie

This is a dog - male - going on 6 yrs. old, recently neutered within the last couple of months. Bloodowrk and urine test come back OK. He's going in for a bladder x-ray. He is otherwise feeling OK - energetic, eating OK.

This problem just came up recently - within the last 2 or 3 weeks.

What else should we be looking at/for?

Thanks.

Um, is this a 'marking' issue or a 'not being able to hold it' issue? Any other 'behavior-type' changes? Any new 'stressors'?

Just thinking out loud...

Nope, not a marking issue at all. The dog was my own Satchmo, who has always been fastidious in the house. He went on to a new home and has been OK, until recently. His water intake is greater, but lab work comes back OK.

I just got to wondering if there might be some changes in his environment, that kind of thing... changes in

routine.

What bloodwork did he have done?

It may simply be a greater intake of water, but I always have a niggling feeling there may be a medical

reason behind it... specially with a dog known to be fastidious....

I just found out that the urine specific gravity results came back abnormal. It was thin and watery which the vet said could be indicative of diabetes insipidus. What's that? This information is from a message left on the answering machine. The owner will be talking to the vet tomorrow.

What else could it be indicative of? Urine glucose was OK.

DI is a condition in which the animal is not producing ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). This is a hormone that is made in the brain and it signals the kidney when it needs to concentrate the urine so as to retain water for the body. If you don't have ADH, the kidney doesn't know it needs to retain water and so it just dumps it, causing a dilute urine. Hence there's nothing wrong with the kidney... it just isn't getting instructions to hold water. Alcohol will do the same thing by (IIRC) anesthetising the cells that make ADH, and caffiene does it (IIRC again) by blocking the hormone from binding to the kidney. So if he's getting a lot of coffee in the morning or more than one finger of Scotch at night, knock it off. :D:rolleyes:

DI usually responds to treatment with desmopressin eye drops. I've had 2 DI patients... one was a spontaneous DI, the other was secondary to trauma (gunshot would to the head, which he miraculously survived, but was presumed to have had injury to the pituitary gland resulting in DI.) Both responded to treatment.

There are a lot of other causes of dilute urine, though... can you get me a number on the USG? The reason I ask is that there are what are called primary polydipsics, which are animals that are drinking so much they force a dilute urine. DI dogs usually lurk their USG around 1.010, which is the same concentration as blood... no stronger, no weaker. Dogs with a urine concentration weaker than blood concentration may be primary PD dogs. Dogs with a USG 1.010 or greater MIGHT have another problem.

Hope that wasn't too confusing....

Desmopressin eye drops! I love it! In humans we can give DDAVP (desmopressin) as a nasal spray for DI and also for bedwetting, but I bet the spray would be quite a challenge to administer to dogs!

All the best to Satchmo!

Thank you. I placed Satchmo into a great home back in May and he was thriving, and now this.

Maybe I can get his new owner to reply here, but I will ask her the other questions. Also, he is urinating in his sleep.

Thank again. Get back soon with the info.

Satchmo drinking coffee in the a.m.? Believe me -- that boy doesn't need a thing to start his day.

Drinking a fifth of Scotch - would Irish whiskey count? His daddy was Irish, so maybe Satch is a closet alcoholic - naw - ain't no alcoholic dogs come from this house.

• 1 month later...

They did another urine specific gravity test and couldn't even get a reading. Also he has a UTI I think and the vet mentioned squamous cells in the urine? WTH?

Although it hasn't been confirmed, because it costs 150.00 to just walk in the door of the specialty clinic, they are going to begin treating Satchmo for diabetes insipidus and also give him electrolytes a few times a day.

I don't know where exactly all of this is going to lead to, but, needless to say, I'm concerned.