BC Boards

OT (way) I had triplets!

Ah, squash!

My family's first gardening experience had a funny bit to do with squash. Apparently the average family can barely deal with all the squash that 4 plants put out.

...We planted 28 plants.

Needless to say by the end of the season we were giving squash away by the basket-full...And I learned to cook many squash-friendly dishes.

You can make an entire meal out of that BIG squash! Yummy.... being a vegetarian that's a dream squash to me!!! LOL

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

and everything died except ... jalapeno peppers...

The garden's trying to tell you something...my plants always die too. Only the cacti are thriving

What - 28 squash plants!?! Must not be zucchini. Those little sneaks. You check them before work and see that they are jsut a few inches long. By the time you come home, each one is a yahd long and a foot wide. Friends and neighbors are thrilled when you show up with tomatoes. You have to leave zucchini swaddled on the doorstep at night.

The year our family of 5 put in 6 plants, we had steamed zucchini, fried zucchini, zucchini in our salads, zucchini lazagna (sort of eggplant parmesean with zucchini), Zucchini bread....

We were also into bike racing and did a weekly 10-mile time trial with our club. So the kids suggested we take one of the big zucchinis as a prize (they were ~14, 10, & 8 at the time and in love with various club riders). So we did. Called it the Great 4th of July Zucchini Race. Should have seen how slow some top riders became. Except these two young guys. Brothers who had decided to move out and share a tiny apartment to train and race without parental griping. They went all out for that zucchini. When one of them won it, they held that huge monster over their heads and yelled, "We eat tonight!"

Nancy, I laughed till my dogs came to see what happened! That is soooooo just moved out of parents statement! Thanks for the good laugh!

JoeAnne, actually it turned out the best! It was big but because there were three it wasn't so seedy! I fried them up and it was so good!

Dixie Girl,

I also had a pepper plant that was doing poorly. I got some Vigaro vegetable food and worked it into the dirt around the plant. It helped a little bit so then I got to wondering if it had some pest problem that I couldn't see. I hate to hit my food plants with chemicals so I bought a marigold plant, known for repelling bugs, and planted it at the base of the pepper. The pepper perked up in just a few days. Maybe in was just lonely.....

I was just thinking (and that's dangerous) my peppers are next to my tomatoes too. I wonder if they dislike each other. Don't laugh!!! I read somewhere that certain veggies benefit from being next to other types and some plants do poorly next to each other. I wonder if the tomatoes are suppressing the peppers somehow??? Jeez, even veggies can be bigots....sigh.........

Yummy, is someone making zuchinni bread!!! Oh boy what I would give for that!!!! Here in Florida zuchinni and squash are so small. I grew up in NY and like Nancy said, HUGE zuchinni and everything made from it! My mom actually made pickles out of it. And boy did we give away tons!

Originally posted by muddy bob:

Companion planting works. Try it! I just want to know why it works.

muddy

I'd guess it's about exchange of chemicals - the changes that one plant does to the soil makes it perfect for the other plant. Maybe some of those species "grew up together"/evolved simultaneously in the same habitat and are adapted to each other's presence. Don't take my word for it though, I can't even remember to water the poor things as often as they need :rolleyes: