BC Boards

Dogs of West Yorkshire

I finally finished and uploaded my journal of our spring trip to Holmfirth. Of course, we "collected" dogs - mostly border collies - (and a few cats) everywhere we went. You can also get from that page to the others for glorious scenery and livestock. And pubs.

If you want the Herriot experience, go straight up the M1 to the A1 and to Thirsk. That's where Alf Wight was a vet while writing the stories. There's a World of James Herriot museum that you'll love - in the old surgery.

But then you have to head west past Richmond and Leyburn and up into Wenslyeydale and Swaledale, where the stories are actually set.

If you want to go, and are on a budget, go in late March, before Easter. If you're flying, the fares are lots lower. And you pay off season rates at the B&Bs (I can recommend some really nice ones - not fancy, but with great hosts). The pubs will probably have those wonderful coal fires. ANd the world will be full of lambs.

I keep a travel journal and record all the names I get. Heck, I keep a journal at home just to know if I did what I meant to do.

Holmfirth is just south of Huddersfield and north-west of Sheffield, kind of between Leeds and Manchester. If you've ever seen the BBC show The Last of the Summer Wine about three senile delinquents in Yorkshire, you'll recognize the towns and villages.

I keep a travel journal and record all the names I get. Heck, I keep a journal at home just to know if I did what I meant to do.

Holmfirth is just south of Huddersfield and north-west of Sheffield, kind of between Leeds and Manchester. If you've ever seen the BBC show The Last of the Summer Wine about three senile delinquents in Yorkshire, you'll recognize the towns and villages.

Ahhh, good idea. So, this is in England?

Aaah - nostalgia time :rolleyes: . I did a few days of the 'Herriot' thing years ago when I was in England. Hired a car, stayed in Ripon, and drove a lot around the Dales, and then across the North York Moors to Scarborough and Whitby. Still have lovely memories.

I love your pictures for many reasons. They remind me of the years I spent in Yorkshire, and of where of I increasingly think of as home.. But most of all because you so obviously love dogs and they so obviously love you back. Very nice.

I too am a Herriot fan, and although I lived in London for 2.5 yrs never got up to Yorkshire much to my disappointment. It looks just like he described it still

Nancy, those are lovely. Not just the dogs, I enjoyed the whole trip album. *sigh* I'd love to visit someday.

The Welsh sheepdogs? Were they border collies, or some kind of mix, do you think?

Anyway, thanks for sharing, it looks like a wonderful time!