BC Boards

I've got a problem-need some advice

Some may remember me posting about my daughters dog Otis before. Things have changed, and I need to get ideas on what to do.

Otis is a rott/red-nose pitt. He is huge! But he is the most gentlest dog I have ever seen around kids. I have known him since he was a pup. And since my daughter has lived with me soooo many times, he kinda grew up with me around. He will kill wild or stray cats, but even when left completely alone, he has never bothered Sammy. Of course, he loves Cheyenne! But this time, I have Jackson. She has gone back to CA. I just sent the last grandkid back last week. I've asked her about Otis, and she is just real vague on what she wants done. She says, well, IF I can get a place I want him. Stuff like that. The only way to get him there is to fly him. And now that it is hot weather, they won't let him fly. I wonder if she would make the effort to go to San Fran to pick him up. She is my kid, and I love her, but she is lousy with animals. Otis has always been an inside dog. We tried converting the outside horse stalls into a pen for him. He always found a way out, and I didn't think it fair to him anyway. He is too used to being around people. So, while they were here, he basicaly stayed in one of the BRs. We taught Jackson to stay under the table when he was let out or in. Jackson automaticaly goes there now when he is let in or out. Since everyone has been gone I have been leaving the doors open in the house. Sometimes he will lay in the little hallway by the dining room/ front room. He NEVER acts like he is even interrested in Jackson. But Jackson will eye him when Jackson walks by him. Jackson never goes into the room where Otis is. I have had them outside together in the fenced back yard. The other evening, when I was playing frizbee with Jackson, Otis was kinda dancing around like he wanted to play too. But when I would throw the frizbee and Jackson would have it before Otis could even go 4 or 5 strides, he gave up! After a bit, I opened the back gate which faces the back of our property which is all woods. Otis took off, and Jackson did too! Jackson was on the porch, but being the lightening rod he is caught up to Otis before I could think! He dashed in front of Otis to cut him off! Otis just kinda lifted his head and stopped. I called Jackson back immediately, but that is all that happened. At night when I go to bed, all the doors in the house are left open. So far, Otis stays in the room and Jackson stays out. I do close him up in the room when I go somewhere. They have at different times been together in the house and "rubbed shoulders". Otis just seems to ignore Jackson, but I noice Jackson will eye Otis, like, what's happening? Otis has never been to a vet, and I am worried about how he might act. He is a very good guard dog and does not like strangers. Now, I am getting a new pup soon. I love Otis, he really is a great dog. I think he realizes Jackson is an important part of this family, and seems to accept him. But Jackson, still seems nervous around him. I just don't know! If they got into it, Jackson wouldn't stand a chance! Otis is 9yrs old. no one else would want him. And he is already showing signs of arthritis.

As I type, I am throwing ball for Jackson and Otis was at the table too, getting scratches!

Sorry it is so long, but I wanted y'all to have a clear pic on situation.

Question, is it possible that the two dogs have accepted each other as members of the family? Is it possible we can all live together without Otis eating Jackson? What are some signs that all may not be well?

What the sam hill do I do???????? :confused:

I have to be wary of Jewel with the pup. Soon the pup will be bigger than her but, a friend of my moms who wanted to acclimate her dogs and keep the pup safe, kept it in a puppy pen in the living room so it was safe but everyone could see it.

It sounds to me like Otis and Jackson have an agreement to coexist.

Your signature line kind of says it all. Are you buying trouble with the what ifs ? Could either dog pick up your nervousness when they are around ? I don't know that I would ever leave them unattended together, but I am also a firm believer in where there is a will there is a way. Good luck on whatever you decide. :rolleyes:

Lynn, I think you might have hit it! Jackson is so intune to my moods, and every time they are around each other, inside I am freaking! Maybe I just need to relax! Otis is not a vicious dog. I have never seen him "attack". It is hard though. I love Jackson so much, but this guy needs a place where he is fed regular and has vet care. I will try relaxing more and see what changes. (as far as Jackson acting nervous)

It does not sound like Otis has ever gone after Jackson or vice versa? They are just different breeds and probably don't think to much the same. It would be like taking a farmer and a kid from NYC and making them live together. They can do it, but just don't really understand their differences.

Otis does not mess with Sammy does he?

Otis looks like a pretty solid citizen to me, too. How sure are you about his breeding? Of course it's hard to tell from just one picture, but I don't really see any Rottweiler or terrier of any stripe in there.

Will you be able to manage all those critters, though?

Otis is definitely half rott and half rednose pitt! My daughter knew the people who owned both parents. It was an accidental breeding! I took both dogs out in the back yard a while ago, and I think what I may have mistook as nervousness on Jacksons part is actually unsureness. Like I have said before, Cheyenne does not have a clue nor inclination to play with any dog so all his life Jackson has lived with her being b-i-itchey to him! So, it is possible, Jackson wants to play but is not sure what Otis will do! I am going to keep, under supervision, putting them together in different situations to see what happens. Now I gotta talk to the vet cuz I know he has had no shots, and I want to neuter him.

Will I be able to manage all the critters? LOL I just did a stint with my daughter and 4 grandkids for 8 mos!!! The critters will be a breeze! Seriously, Otis likes about 20 min of play a day, he has arthritis. Cheyenne only requires a butt scratching now and then. Sammy only cares about feeding twice a day and a good face scratch once a day. So Jackson and the new pup will be the only ones needing a lot of activity and that would be so regardless so I think we will manage! That new pup aught to shake things up pretty good though!

Chances are, if he had any serious dog aggression, you probably would have witnessed it by now. I have a half pit/half whatever and she and Gracie (my bc) squared off a few times. I have to say, part of it was my fault, as Fontana (mom to Poco) is a total lovebug and cuddling with her is a lot of fun, so she felt her social status to be a bit more elevated than it should have been. She would climb in my lap while I read, or snuggle against me while I slept.

As Gracie has always been lead dog in the house, it totally shocked me seeing her go after my Gracie. It scared the daylights out of me as she is so strong, but I was quick to seperate them and ensure that Fontana (the pit mix) knew her place in the pack after that. She still gets plenty of cuddles but much more in moderation and now has to work for them.

Gracie was afraid of her for a few weeks but they've since learned to co-exist quite nicely.

Getting him neutered is an excellent idea and just try and relax. Most scufflees look a lot worse than they are and sometimes things are settled once and for all. But quite honestly, it's been my experience that males tend to hit it off a lot quicker than females!

Kudos for keeping him! When I left home, my mom was devestated that I took all the dogs!

Maria

Good luck Dixie-Girl. It sounds like they will be ok together though you are wise to keep them supervised. I agree that if there was going to be aggression, it probably would have shown up already?

Neutering and vet visit is a great idea, things might be a little different upon Otis's return, so I would watch out at that time.

My cousins have a HUGE pure-bred rottie and a smaller than my Scout (50#) white German shepherd mix dog. The smaller dog is maybe 40# and obnoxious as all get out. But there have never been any problems between the two dogs. Brutus (the rott) has always been as gentle as he can be, no matter how dog-rude Casey gets. Casey is also male. Both are neutered.

I think I would be more worried about the new pup than Jackson since it is possible Otis MIGHT see the smaller pup as prey. It sounds like you want to keep Otis if your daughter doesn't take him so the only suggestion I would have is to keep an eye out for his reaction to the pup. I'm sure you'll see to it that all the dogs are safe.

Okay, here is a milestone, I think! None of the dogs have any food aggresion. Cheyenne did at first when I got Jackson, but she soon found that getting snarky with him only made it so she didn't get any and Jackson got it all! Anyway, last night I was cutting up this huge sirloin roast I had bought and was giving the trimmings to Jackson and Cheyenne when I noticed Otis kinda lurking around the corner. So I called him into the kitchen. I remembered to be calm, and just "expect" they would all be ok. So, here are all three dogs lined up, Jackson, Otis, and Cheyenne, in that order, and Sammy circling my feet. I would cut a trimming and say the dogs name then toss it to that dog or to Sammy. It took about 30 min. to complete the task and even when I was cutting etc. and not tossing they all remained calm and just sat there. Well, except Sammy, but he's a cat, the world revolves around only him! No one tried to grab a toss if I had not said their name. So, I think, that if this could be accomplished, the rest should be easy! I think we will be ok. I talked to my daughter, last night and she said Otis has always been fine around puppies, but I will be keeping a close eye on that. She also threw a fit when I said I was having Otis neutered. I asked why, and she said, cuz we want a puppy out of him, cuz he is such a great dog! Blah Blah Blah! So, I explained that the chances were one in a million that any pup of his would be like him! That she had a better chance of getting a dog like him from the pound than from a litter. I think she is almost convinced. But, I told her if she didn't come up with the money to fly him out by the time the airlines will let him fly, I would consider him mine and do as I wish with him. She agreed to that. But, if he just happens to show up at the vets and the vet accidently thinks I want him neutered, oh well, can't sew them back on! *snerk*

I thank all who replied! You helped me alot to relax! I appreciate it!

<------Let's out huge sigh of relief!!!

OMG that's right! Though I don't understand why people would want them... and how do they attach?? Rofl...