BC Boards

Argh! Decisions!

So I'm in an enviable position - there is an absolutely AMAZING puppy at the shelter where I work - he's 3.5 mo, male, looks well put together, LOVES people, likes other dogs, likes balls, and is decent in a crate for a puppy that was just relinquished. He knows sit and shake w/o luring and walks nicely on lead. AND I've been looking for a pup.

So you may be asking what my problem is, so here goes: he's not a heeler or a BC! This amazing puppy is a boxer - the exact type of dog my fiance wants to add to our household in about 2 YEARS! :D :D

My coworkers want me to take the little bugger as a foster since Maxx will be going to his new home tomorrow morning and they want to have the utmost control about what home this pup ends up in (if it's not mine) and that would be fine, but I need to decide if I want to jump at this chance for an amazing boxer NOW or take my chances and wait for that perfect ACD or BC pup/adolescent to show up. In addition, I was planning on fostering Sasha, a wonderful corgi mix pup that one of my training clients is considering for service dog potential and who has been at the shelter for 3 of her 5 mo of life(!).

My coworkers have said they will find a foster for sasha if I take the boxer pup, but then I won't be able to assess her directly....but he's cute and perfect...but I can only have 2 dogs in the apt...but this is the chance to mold a pup that I haven't had....SIGH! :rolleyes:

Any words of wisdom?! I'm leaning toward fostering the pup, taking time to assess Sasha in public during work since technically that would fall under my job description, and then placing the pup in the perfect home rather than mine. Thoughts?!

I'm leaning toward fostering the pup, taking time to assess Sasha in public during work since technically that would fall under my job description, and then placing the pup in the perfect home-mine. Thoughts?!

That would be my thoughts...... :rolleyes:

lol - you're no help! :rolleyes: I thought I had made quite the slip up when I looked at your quote....had to do a double take. Hmmm - I still can't get the puppy smell out of my mind tho...

lol - you're no help! :D I thought I had made quite the slip up when I looked at your quote....had to do a double take. Hmmm - I still can't get the puppy smell out of my mind tho...

:rolleyes::D

and puppy breath and puppy kisses......

Ask yourself this......are you looking for your perfect puppy or are you waiting for the perfect time?????

(I'm not going to be of any help, am I??? :D )

Nope, no help at all - but I still appreciate the input. :rolleyes: The more I think about him, the worse I get w/ puppy lust....sigh.

(and I'm looking for the perfect puppy at the perfect time, not an either or...)

Ohhhh, but MaggieDog.......the little puppy is so close to perfect.........and you have been looking at puppies.........

What does your fiance say?

(Personally I couldn't do your job. You guys are amazing!! You have my utmost respect!)

Somehow I'm thinking I may regret whatever decision I make... :rolleyes: Here's what I'm wrestling with I guess.

Goals in order of importance, complications in random order

Herding pup goals:

- agility star

- therapy dog

- overall good dog that gets along with everyone

Complications w/ getting herding pup now:

- limited time for classes (i start teaching classes in September: 2 weeknights and Saturdays)

- no yard (currently Maggie gets about 3 miles of walking a day plus treat toys and training inside, but will that be enough?)

- end of fostering capabilities

Boxer pup goals:

- good dog that gets along with everyone

- therapy dog?

- agility dog?

Complications w/ getting boxer pup now:

- Scott isn't here and the boxer will be "his" dog since it's his favorite breed

- Delays aquiring herding breed pup/competition goals (limit of 2 dogs/unit in the complex I live in - will be moving next year if I can't get management to flex on the dog numbers no matter what though)

- end of fostering capability

Any words of wisdom?! I'm leaning toward fostering the pup, taking time to assess Sasha in public during work since technically that would fall under my job description, and then placing the pup in the perfect home rather than mine. Thoughts?

How far do you need to lean before ya do what you've aready thought out?

You were going foster regardless.

Oh you wanted words of wisdom,,,,,,hmmmmm dunno If I own any of those but FWIW

Do what your heart and mind combined are telling you is the right step on your path at this time.

Erin,

Sometimes fate has a hand in things despite our best laid plans. Take me for example, when Rush crossed over last year- Oct - the family was in agreement that we would wait until about June for get a new pup. I was planning on starting my next agility pup as my Sr. dog was retiring and my current dog is 8 yrs old. So what I was looking for was a 5-6 mo old pup with good drive, decent structure and temperment around June when someone would be at the house most of the day. I dropped a line to MABCR whom I foster for that I would be looking and Sarah said she would keep her eyes out that was in Dec. At the end of JANUARY (well June and January both start with "J" right?) Sarah emails me and says have I got the dog for you, he's TEN WEEKS old (what happend to 5 mos?) high drive and is a looker with good temperment and structure. She then at my request sent me pictures (big mistake) it was love at first sight, and when I met him person even better. Needless to say he came home with me 5 mos before I was planning to even consider, and by strange fluke my husband's work schedule changed so that he was home while the kids were at school so that someone was home all the time! Now at 10 months old I wouldnt trade Whim for anything, I adore working with this pup, he fits well into the house, he all I looked for with whipcream and a cherry.

So I say this: If this pup "talks to you" and I expect you'll know what I mean, then things will fall into place to allow you to take him on, definately foster with the option to adopt

Well all, thanks for the great advice, but it's been decided for me: my landlord will not flex on the "no puppies" rule despite my fulltime job as a behavior coordinator. :rolleyes: It's all for the best though - Sasha really needs foster and I need to be able to evaluate her for a role as a service dog and one of my other coworkers knows a young couple that just lost their boxer and have been looking for a pup, so Chato will be going home with them i'm guessing.

Guess this means my perfect (older) pup is still out there. :D

Maybe he just wasn't meant to be. They have a way of finding you though. When your not thinking about it one will just come up :rolleyes:

Erin,

Is your landlord okay with an older pup (you said the corgi that you had planned to foster and evaluate was 5 months)? I'm sure you'll be able to find the perfect boxer for your fiance when the time is right, and in the meantime you might find that perfect older ACD or border collie pup (I'm sure there's plenty of them in Georgia)!

J.

Well I'm fudging Sasha's age :rolleyes: - she should be with me only about a month I would think as I have a home lined up for her if her temperament works out. Not to mention that if I kept the boxer it would be obvious he's a pup, but Sasha is a smaller breed and won't grow that obviously. I know I know - not all that good for me to do it, but I know others in my complex fudge the pet rules all the time (e.g. the puppy pit bull on the porch in the next building) and don't get in any trouble.

Pics of the special girl - I definitely made the right choice. :rolleyes: After being here a day she's gone from absolutely spazzy, never still to high energy but with some restraint - she's passed out at my feet currently.

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

She looks really happy to be there, and out of the shelter too. I think you made the right choice.