BC Boards

Crate Bedding

Just wondering what everyone does for bedding in their crates. Bo is just over 1 year, and I was hoping that crating him would no longer be an issue, but he still goes nuts when I leave the house, even for a couple of minutes, so crate it is....Anyway, I want to put something in it for him to lay on (there is an old blanket right now). I don't think that it can be comfortable for him to lay in it without anything, (it's a metal crate) but he tears up everything I put in there for him to lay on, and I'm worried about him ingesting it.....what do you all do and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks~Lisa

I have a 14-month old who STILL shreds bedding in her crate at home. She is STILL on an empty plastic pan. Too bad for her. I tried everything - old towels, nylon-covered dog beds, thick foam, even playground matting. She shredded all. AND she's ingested some of it (oh yeah, that came out the other end!)

So plastic pan it is. Usually they grow out of it (at least mine all have at some point). I tried leaving her loose recently and she did real good for about a week, then I came home to find an Xbox360 controller cord shredded. LUCKILY not connected, but I immediately thought of all the power-cord possibilities so she's back in the crate again. It took my middle-girl till she was almost 2 to be able to be loose - she has some sort of cardboard fetish!

These are supposed to be darned near indestructible. I haven't tried it. I just keep waiting for her to grow out of it.

http://primopads.com/

Guest SweetJordan

Dr. Foster and Smith makes a chew proof bed. It's guaranteed to be chew proof or they send another one. I'd try something like that and perhaps putting a couple of kongs(stuffed with something yummy) or a sterile marrow bone which your BC won't be able to eat in the crate. That would give him something to do while you are away, and would keep him safe as well.

Trailer matts cut to fit.

In the cooler months, a cheap sheepskin. In the summer months, Starr has a gel pad and Nash has nothing but the trailer matt because he is a bed-shred-head.

Dr. Foster and Smith makes a chew proof bed.

Like the perpetual motion machine, it is a nice theory, but reality eventually sets in. You should be able to get a plastic tray for the bottom of the cage, which you can even get through eBay; this is actually relatively comfortable (as compared to the wire bottom), and is usually designed so that a dog cannot grasp the edges with its teeth. Annie is on the plastic tray if left in the cage during the day; in the evening, we put a bolster bed in the bottom on the tray.

Guest SweetJordan
Like the perpetual motion machine, it is a nice theory, but reality eventually sets in. You should be able to get a plastic tray for the bottom of the cage, which you can even get through eBay; this is actually relatively comfortable (as compared to the wire bottom), and is usually designed so that a dog cannot grasp the edges with its teeth. Annie is on the plastic tray if left in the cage during the day; in the evening, we put a bolster bed in the bottom on the tray.

I didn't say that I knew if it would work or not. lol I know how BCs can be. Fortunately I don't have this problelm.

Hey Pax,

I found my old saddle pads make great beds in Dixies and Ladies' crates.

By the time they get worn out in the barn there's hardly enough left for a dog to lie on. :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

My mom makes cute little doggie crate pads for my dogs. If you chew up a bed, don't expect to get a bed for a very, very long time!!

My Lindee at 6 months old does not like any kind of bedding in her crate. She prefers the plastic pan in the bottom for some reason. If we try to put in any kind of padding she just pulls it out and lays on the pan. Any kind of blanket we put in there we'll find balled up and used as a pillow. She's a strange little mutt but we wouldn't have her any other way. She fits into the family well. :rolleyes:

I have one dog who destroys anything you put in there, so she sleeps on nothing. As others have said, it's really her tough luck. I can't afford innumerable pads and I certainly can't afford emergency surgery for an impaction caused by a chewed-up crate pad.

I have dogs who have managed to chew stall mats as well. But generally I'll use just about anything. Old dog towels if it's hot and they're wet. Those "Mexican blankets" you can find at truck stops for like $5 (warm for winter months). In summer, they usually have reversible cotton bath mats (folded in half they're a perfect fit for an intermediate Vari-Kennel). At other times, I've used old blankets, afghans, flannel sheets, bedspreads, whatever. In a lot of cases, though, the dogs do end up just pushing whatever padding they have to the front of the crate, where it ends up dumping the water out of their water buckets. I still give them bedding because I feel better if they have something soft to lie on, bed chewers excluded....

J.

Shadow usually pushes her rug to the frnt as uses it as a pillow too. I too would suggest putting a plastic pan in the bottom of the metal crate, Penny has some NASTY permanent bald, hard skinned patches on her from spending nights in the wire crate without any pan / blanket.

My Lindee at 6 months old does not like any kind of bedding in her crate. She prefers the plastic pan in the bottom for some reason. If we try to put in any kind of padding she just pulls it out and lays on the pan. Any kind of blanket we put in there we'll find balled up and used as a pillow. She's a strange little mutt but we wouldn't have her any other way. She fits into the family well. :rolleyes:

Lance is the same way. If I put a blanket or towel or something in there he puts it as far into the corner as he can and avoids it. Lance has a large plastic crate and not a metal floor so he is comfortable enough.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
At first it was those rug samples for $1.00. Now that he's stopped chewing, he has a nice pillow type liner.

Those fit PERFECTLY in the FerretNation Ferret Cage. :rolleyes:

Luke doesn't like any bedding in his crate, if I put a blanket in he pushes it in a corner so I tried one of those big doggy pillows, well he couldn't get that out of the way so he sreaded it and stuffed it through the bars to get ride of it, so Luke gets nothing in his crate or house as he calls it lol. He has one of those big wire crates with the tin pan in the bottom and is happy with that. I do have a small square of what we call at work Rock Gaurd or TuffaNuff and it is fine strings of rubber intertwined to make a solid chunck that is about a inch thick and very squishy and Luke gets that in the truck and if he has to be in his house for a long time i will put it in but it stays on one side of his house and he can use it if he wants but pretty much prefers nothing at all.

Tara

Luke doesn't like any bedding in his crate, if I put a blanket in he pushes it in a corner so I tried one of those big doggy pillows, well he couldn't get that out of the way so he sreaded it and stuffed it through the bars to get ride of it, so Luke gets nothing in his crate or house as he calls it lol. He has one of those big wire crates with the tin pan in the bottom and is happy with that. I do have a small square of what we call at work Rock Gaurd or TuffaNuff and it is fine strings of rubber intertwined to make a solid chunck that is about a inch thick and very squishy and Luke gets that in the truck and if he has to be in his house for a long time i will put it in but it stays on one side of his house and he can use it if he wants but pretty much prefers nothing at all.

Tara

So I went to Petsmart today to look for a plastic tray, and couldn't find one, then we (the DH and I) started thinking that he would probably chew that up too, so we went to tractor supply and bought a heavy duty rubber mat, the kind that goes in a horse trailer or something, and we tried it out tonight when we went out, and it seemed to work....so of course this is only the first time, but I will report on the findings in a few days and let everyone know!!! He seems to like it ok too, when it was just the metal bars he didn't seem to crazy about laying down....we don't crate him at night, only when we leave the house, that's when he seems to go nuts....anyway, sorry for the rambling, but I appreciate everyone's advice!!!!!

Bettilu,

I hope it works. I don't understand how your crate didn't have a pan to begin with. When you buy them new they come with either a plastic or a metal pan, which is probably why you couldn't find just the pan at the store. Anyway, it sounds like you may have found a solution!

J.

It's not a new crate Julie, (hand-me-down) from our GSD, Betti....I think that we either lost the tray or maybe Betti chewed it when she was a pup...anyway, for whatever reason we don't have it anymore...but the mat seems to be working out great....